East Coast Developer Meetup

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by JoshCM, Apr 20, 2010.

1. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Sponsors: Crescent Moon Games and Chronosoft (Will supply drinks/food?)
    anyone else?

Possible Locations: New Hampshire, Upstate NY, Boston

Date: Late May/Early June

Sleepover? Pajama party? Star Wars reenactments?
    iPad FPS tournament! (probably Nova) (guess we'll need wi fi)
    Lazertag?? Exclusive game screenings!

If anyone has a good location, or other ideas,
    Post them here!

2. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    P.S. 8 bit DJ, and no discussions of Objective-C

3. Deth4U2

Deth4U2 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    I'd definitely be interested in meeting other developers so I could ask them beginner-type questions on a program I'm writing. Would this be OK since you say no discussions of Obj-C?

4. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Yes, Josh and I have been thinking about it for months! The time for action is at hand!

Any iPhone/iPad developers in the northeast who's been disappointed with all the really cool get-togethers on the west coast need to chime in. Minimal tech talk, more socialization, and probably about the same amount of alcohol consumption... all without the hassle of flying to California ;)

If we get a small, fanatical response I'd be happy to host it up here in coastal New Hampshire. Extra activities here would include sightseeing cruises from my dock to the Isles of Shoals or other cool destinations, several great local breweries, and possibly a complete take over my friends' restaurant for an evening of i-Device madness :)

June sounds great to me. Hopefully I can have a build of Spirit Hunter Mineko ready to share/preview :D

(Deth4U2, I think there can certainly be a bit of Objective-C talk! Just expect it to go downhill by the late afternoon :p)

5. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I was sort of kidding... While I won't be talking about obj-c, anyone else can.
    I can talk about photoshop and 3d studio max. :p

6. Deth4U2

Deth4U2 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    OK, so it's more of a relaxer/mixer than a "let's see what we can code in a day" scene. I gotcha. :D

7. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    just about fun, maybe a little show and tell, some drinking and games.
    Its always cool to hear other people's experiences with the App store.
    If anyone wants to volunteer a help desk we could probably do that too.
    I could do some type of art tutorial, but Kevin's right, that'd have to be earlier on, before the fun begins!

8. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Josh beat me to it, but that'd be the idea!

Certainly talk of coding and artwork and music will arise. People should come to share ideas, demos, meet some of your peers, and have fun! Who knows, if there's enough interest we might need to get serious and arrange conference space, but I think it'd be great contrast to these other meetups to have a more laid back "party".

Whether the meetup lasts one day and night, or a weekend, is open for debate :D

9. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

In case you can't tell, we're making the plan up as we go! Things may need to change if there's a few hundred interested people rather than a dozen or two. The meetup picture will get more clear as the scope of our foolish idea takes shape! Anyone else interested, please chime in with your thoughts :)

10. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    yeah - maybe we'll hire strippers too. interested now? :p

11. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    Wow! I wanna come too! Too bad I'm in the UK! I'll dance on tables if you sponsor me. On second thoughts, maybe it'd be less distressing for all if I just served drinks... :)

12. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    lol@pamx

was just a cheap trick to get people in here.
    table dancing would be fun though, while we're playing with our iPads...

13. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    It's a fantastic idea - I just wish we had the weather in the UK to make such a get-together seem more appealing! I know there's the World of Love indie game conference in London in June which also ooks pretty interesting http://indiegamesarcade.com/world-of-love/?page_id=40

This is an evening thing (from what I can gather) & includes some very cool speakers & I'll try to get there if i can. Having said that, yours sounds like it's gonna be a lot more fun & a great opportunity to meet up with much greater numbers of Apple developers.

One thing's for sure, we need to hook up more regularly outside of huge expensive conferences. Someone please devise a virtual conference complete with entertainment & tequila slammers (real) so that we can all participate wherever we are...

:)

14. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Josh, seems like nobody on the east coast reads TouchArcade other than us? Or if they do, they have strong aversions to daylight, social interaction, and free booze? :p

Pamx- maybe we need to set up a video chat so people can join in from across the pond... I'd thought about setting up a webcam for the backyard anyway! I agree that people need to get out and mix it up a bit. A huge conference is tough because you could miss your chance to speak with someone due to the size and number of other attendees. This should be a more friendly experience :D

15. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Yeah - was getting excited but there doesn't seem to be anyone on the East Coast who is interested in a party. I think we should try to get at least 10 people to have this event.

16. daveyoung

daveyoung Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    I'm interested! I'm closer to Boston, so that has my vote ;)

17. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Yay! Thats 5!

18. BenSS

BenSS Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Software Developer
    PA
    Great idea, too bad it's hard for me to get out of my local area (Philly) with family and all. Did any of you guys hit PAX East?

19. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

I actually had planned to go to PAX east since it was less than an hour from home. Unfortunately had to leave on a consulting gig out in the midwest, and of course PAX east fell right in the middle of it! Next year though, I'll be ready :D

What we're planning is a more iPhone / iPad specific gathering of course. At least you're within the region... Philly is a drive-able distance to any of our potential meet-up points ;)

20. DGH94

DGH94 Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Next to the Maiden
    I would love to come as I'm in NJ, but I'm not a dev... Poo. xDD