Free for few days: how/where to advertise.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Ovogame, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Hi,

Ok, I know that I can make my game for free for few days and some automatic stuff will catch it and advertise it. But is there any other way to increase the free campaign (other than paying FAAD). Is there any list of website to warn about free promotion? I mean website that are interested about this info...

thanks

JC

2. jpang

jpang Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    I know of freeappreport.com

3. best

best Well-Known Member

as far as i know, you dont need to pay for your game to be on FAAD as long as there are many requests on the "My wish" section inside the faad app maybe you can request it yourself or ask others.

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Well posting here on TA is always an option. As far as I know of, there are a few sites that advertise freebies, though admittedly, I don't know how they work. I'll list the ones in my daily rotation:

FAAD, obviously. FreeAppCalendar. Decentfreeapp. Dailyappdream.

The Game Trail does the occasional video highlighting some freebies, at freegamesdaily. com

5. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    The real magic happens when you stagger the free game announcements/promotions out over a couple days across multiple free app websites. I've been watching when savvy devs do this, and it skyrockets their free app up in the charts. However, if you don't plan on staying free after that, it will drop like a stone... so use that tactic wisely.

No idea how much it costs either... probably a hefty chunk o' change.

6. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    There is also Gizmodo that runs the iApp Deal of the Day.

Shoot an email with details over to Chris Beidelman ([email protected]).

Make sure your app is free when you send the email, otherwise you might have to wait till the next day.

7. ek1985

ek1985 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    business relationship
    Hi JC
    We're now holding some campaign in our app.We can start with clicks exchange,pls contact me for details if u're interested:[email protected]

8. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    it's tough. Honestly you can probably just post on TA and get about the most coverage you're gonna get that way. Do some research and send out a PR (prmac.com) will likely still pop up in a few places..

if you've been doing development for some time and haven't built up a decent list of sites/media to contact at all, "you're doing it wrong!" At the risk of sounding a bit snarky, it's not bad form to email guys like destructoid.com, appera, 148apps, etc (and anyone who you can dig up on twitter who is following you) to pass along your PR as well. No guarantees, but it's not impossible you might get a mention if someone at one of those sites digs your app.

9. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Just to put things in perspective, a post on TA forums announcing a giveaway is lucky to land a few hundred unique views. Exception would be if the game gets a front page mention or is already hugely popular.

Just switching from pay to free without any sort of announcement can easily land over 10,000 downloads if your app has an attractive icon, enough to leap into good visibility in most category listings in the AppStore.

Getting listed on a site like FAAD can easily result in over 100,000 downloads, enough to get listed high in "all games."

Once listed, your app will typically rise or fall based on user reviews and word of mouth.

Sweet spot for a temporary giveaway is usually about five days. Rankings are based on a weighted window favoring more recent download activity, and a few days of bigger downloads can help drive your app higher in the charts.

10. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Great info, no wonder they charge so much for FAAD sites!