Big game let downs

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Amenbrother, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    So lately I have been thinking to myself what is going on here.... there have been alot of releases lately that I was really excited for but somehow I was let down. So I end up with alot of games just shelved, is there anyone else that feels like that? I mean I think the only game that I was omg nuts about was Aralon, that game had me so anxious to buy then when I did it was everything I wanted and more.....

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    With the amount of 'lite' demo versions, youtube videos and game reviews on websites i have hardly been 'let down' by any games. If i'm unsure about a game i'll ask questions on this forum or go watch a video of it.

Plus IF i'm 'let down' by a game its often just 69p or £1.99, just short change so its not like how it was when youre a kid and save up weeks for a game only to buy it and its dire

If i get a 69p game and dont play it much i've just wasted the cost of a burger.

A lot of games, give them a bit more time and you'll really get into them. One problem is as there are SO many games out there you tend to have a shorter gameplay attention with some of them. Again back in the old days when you saved up weeks for a game you would play it non stop to get your moneys worth even if the game was 'average'.

I didnt get into Aralon for a while and had that on my ipod for a month or so, finally my friend told me i had to play it, i did and got into it and was totally addicted to it for weeks ! Wish there was a sequel

3. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    lol

I understand about the videos and reviews and stuff, but games like Shadowgun and even Mage Gauntlet dont have me like omg I need to play more of them you know? I would pay $15 bucks for Aralon 2 lol it's probably one of my favorite games even console wise :eek:

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    See you must be young ! Mage Gauntlet might not look appealing to some 'younger' people as it looks like a great SNES game from the 90's which appeals to a lot of us oldies !

Thats the thing with games and one reason why i'm playing games on emulators or my ipod touch and not an X-Box 360. With the X-Box you can have stunning graphics, great huge levels but give me a platform game on my ipod anyday of the week over those huge epic games.

Its all about playability, forget the graphics/tunes, it helps dont get me wrong but its all about playability and so many iOS games (Eg Mage Gauntlet) have that.

5. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    And the funny thing is, that i hate those pixelfest graphics like Mage Gauntlet's, but this game is a nice exception, because it's gameplay got me hooked... despite me not liking the graphics at all..

6. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    To be fair to amen, he doesn't seem to be biased by graphics. Else he would have loved Shadowgun, and would not have liked Aralon all that much (Aralon does have very clunky graphics).

@Amen
    I agree with PSJ. THe attention times have reduced. I remember when i was a kid I had a handheld in which i would play a game in which you just had to push a button repeatedly, and another button at times to mix things a little. And honest to God I enjoyed that game. Compared to that, in this week alone you have 5 great iOS games that have released. There's actually not enough time to play all the great games that are out there. Do go through videos, lites, participate in forums, compete on leaderboards. Be invested in a game to enjoy the overall experience.

Oh well... I am behaving like a grand-dad here trying to preach to others how to enjoy videogames. Am probably coming off as incredibly condescending. My bad. Last word, there are a ton of good games out there. Find 'em :)

7. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    These :cool:

8. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies here guys, but I am definately not young well not as young as I used to be :cool: But I dont know it's not about graphics or the biggest baddest games to me it just need that "it" factor. Where it just hooks me on fun or whatever, I really like RPG's with say a few different classes to try out and maybe it has loot. Those are my fav fav types of games!

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    But yep Aralon was an epic game, i did really like Order & Chaos but i stopped playing as i was getting 'addicted' to it and ignoring all my other 250 games or so on my ipod ! Aralon was like a brilliant 'offline' Order and Chaos.

But yeah another 'problem' is that the games are so cheap so you tend to pick a lot up. If they were more expensive i might get one a week and concentrate playing on that

Again sounding old ! But back in the 80's if you saved up to buy a $15 game you would play that game to death. Now i can dip in and out of so many apps, another reason is they load pretty quickly.

Back in the 80's when a game took 7 minutes to load by tape you were sure as hell going to play it a bit no matter how bad it was !

Anyway time for my pipe and slippers ;)

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Exactly. But I'm 14 and I really love pixel graphics!

11. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I was really excited about Tiny Tower, but after awhile it ended up like every other freemium game-- lots of repetitive tasks and little variety to keep me playing.

12. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I'm too overwhelmed by my huge queue of titles waiting to be played to be bothered by a possible drop in quality in new releases. Though I have noticed that Chillingo & ClickGamer keep publishing some questionable puzzlers every week or so.

13. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    inb4 warm gun

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #14 backtothis, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
    Lol, this.

-----

I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with the rapid attention shifts that the AppStore brings. These days, I can't play a game for more than 15-30 minutes at a time since I'm getting 5-10 paid games a week. With the constant growth of my unplayed games + my huge existing backlog that began January 2009...yep. The cheap prices of games + not wanting to be left behind in terms of releases make it hard to really sit back and just enjoy one game for a decent period of time.

15. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011

Well said backtothis....

16. Aedan

Aedan New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If i get a 69p game and dont play it much i've just wasted the cost of a burger.
    A lot of games, give them a bit more time and you'll really get into them. One problem is as there are SO many games out there you tend to have a shorter gameplay attention with some of them.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree. Its amazing how many great games we're getting every week, wasnt like this back in the 80's ! Plus as the games are so cheap its tempting to get a fair few as if it is a dud you're not exactly wasting too much if its 69p etc.

But same here, i've got a huge backlog of games, i should just de-install them and come back to them later but i kinda like having so many on my ipod touch at the same time, weird i know ! De-installing means i can install it again later of course, but i just prefer 'knowing' its there in case i want a quick go !

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree. Its amazing how many great games we're getting every week, wasnt like this back in the 80's ! Plus as the games are so cheap its tempting to get a fair few as if it is a dud you're not exactly wasting too much if its 69p etc.

But same here, i've got a huge backlog of games, i should just de-install them and come back to them later but i kinda like having so many on my ipod touch at the same time, weird i know ! De-installing means i can install it again later of course, but i just prefer 'knowing' its there in case i want a quick go !

But yeah i admit i was really let down with Warm Gun, big shame

19. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #19 backtothis, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
    No lie, it's hard deleting a game off my device to make room for something else before I've given it all the time I wanted to even though I know I can reinstall it at anytime. But yeah, when it comes to AppStore, like I always say, it's more important to use your time playing good games than to worry about the dollar you spent on a dud, and waste the time to play through the dud. You're not risking much when it comes to trying out a new game on the iOS.

20. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    personally,no games let me more down than chaos ring, cant refrain from wondering why people would like this game.