How much does the ad space on the appstore cost?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by RovioMobile, Apr 22, 2009.

1. RovioMobile

RovioMobile Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Marketing Manager
    Helsinki Finland
    I've been searching everywhere for awhile now to find out how much it costs to put your game in those ad spaces on the appstore (3 big on top and 6 smaller in the middle) and have found nothing. I can't even figure out who at apple to email to find out.

If anyone has any info about this i would be thrilled to know. I'm sure those add spaces are worth whatever you have pay to get them as long as you have a half decent game. It's the only place to advertise on the appstore other then by manipulating your games price and icon.

I've already found out that paid advertising on review sites is not worth the money.

2. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

Apple chooses what gets featured on iTunes, it's not paid for advertising.

3. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I think that it's the one thing they've got right with the app store. They seem to highlight some really good games and apps, even the free ones.

4. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Really..........??????? Cause I know games who people even already have the banner for the "Featured" section done when they submit. I'm sure Apple gets bribed, or favors those big companies.

5. Zwilnik

You should always have the banner prepared when you submit a game, just in case Apple asks.

6. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Ahhhhhh................got it. That makes sense.
    Still, Apple always features EA, Gameloft, you know, the usual suspects. ;)

7. Zwilnik

Yup. Mostly because the usual suspects are releasing games that App Store users want and they have all their marketing materials ready.

Remember, the whole point of the App Store is to sell iPhones and iPods. So apps that make the platform look good are more likely to be featured.

Having said all that, all the decisions about what gets featured are done somewhere in the depths of 1 Infinite Loop and it's a complete mystery really as to how they decide on what gets shown.

8. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    I would imagine a ballot box at the end of each week in which employees submit favorites.

9. TechPadProductions

TechPadProductions Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    We have been featured in the new and noteworthy section for 2 weeks and still have a few more spots coming I think. We have a partnership with a marketing company that helped us get those.

PM me with your game info, and your contact info (name, email, phone) if you would like me to pass along your info to them.

10. I am glad this thread was started- I was wondering about these ads.

So what's the size of advert they will ask for?
    I will get one ready just in case. You never know.

11. TechPadProductions

TechPadProductions Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    For new and noteworthy, they use the standard 512x512 with no additional decorations (like SALE) on it.

12. You mean the 512x512 you submit with the binary? If so mine hasn't got the title of the game on it. Is it best for me to upload one that has?

13. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Don't recall where I got these (perhaps Erica Saudun). Anyway the rules/sizes are as follows:

To be used for title treatment/logo:
    600x600 transparent png with title + 600x600 png background

Large add:
    900x530 layered PSD

14. TripleJ

TripleJ Member

Nov 25, 2008
    where do we actually submit these though? I don't see anywhere in the app submission process that allows this.

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

If Apple wants them, they'll tell you.

--Eric

16. TripleJ

TripleJ Member

Nov 25, 2008
    cheers :)

17. asbjoern

asbjoern Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Part of the Tactile Ent. team
    Copenhagen
    Thanks for the info. Is there any official source on this? And maybe more on the process itself.

18. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

As I wrote earlier I don't recall where I found the information but jotted it down when I came across it. (I have a notebook for iPhone-tricks by my computer). Anyway after some googling I found this thread that actually specifies where the information can be found as well as spelling out the details...

19. asbjoern

asbjoern Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Part of the Tactile Ent. team
    Copenhagen
    Thanks a lot for the link - that was the information I was looking for :)

20. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I say it's paid ; depends on who it is.

For example, Resident Evil was released late last night.....yet this morning it's already featured. See?