Universal Silversword - RPG (Bard's Tale '85 homage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by undeadcow, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Ohh, why would you say that?? I can understand your enthusiasm for Bard's Tale, but why downplay your own game and tell people to abandon it for another game? Take pride in your game man! You've done a great job with it!

2. Just want to be fair ;-)

Perhaps inXile has done me a favour with the release of BT1. Now a big name with big marketing brings this style of games back to the store, eventually increasing the number of potential Silversword buyers.

Although I don't really believe in such a mechanism, hope dies last ;-)

Regards
    Mario

P.S. the next update will soon be ready, with new places to explore.

3. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Heh, maybe you could work out a cross promotion with them of some kind. Though I supposed you'd stand to gain more from that than they would.

4. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    I think I found a bug with the bank. I deposited 1000 gold (and already had 500 in there). I then went out exploring. When I came back, instead of 1500, I had -1463 (or so). I withdrew it, and then I had -1463 in my inventory. I then tried to buy something, and it said I didn't have enough gold. So two problems there - the missing 37 gold or so, and the fact that the total was negative.

I just remembered though, before going to the bank, I stopped at the church to revive 4 party members. When spending, if you run over the amount of gold in your inventory, does it withdraw from the bank automatically? I'm thinking that may be why I had -1463 left. Of course, if that's the case, then it shouldn't have let me make the last purchase (which was like 2500 gold).

5. Hi Art,

thank you for pointing me into this - the bug seems to be temple related then. I will check and fix it with the next update!

Regards
    Mario

6. Update 2.1.0 just submitted

Hello friends,

finally, a new update will be ready within the next days.
    Besides some bug fixes and compendium improvements, a new chest open game will be introduced. No more word guessing, but a game of dexterity and speed (for you rogues out there).

Thank you very much for your support
    Kind regards
    Mario

7. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Oh cool - I never liked that word guessing method - too random.

8. Update 2.1.2 News

Updates keep coming...

Finally, the problems with the two hellish chests are solved. You should be able to open them now and get your reward.

In addition, the roadwarden should charge you the correct price now. Some of the corrupt elements have been identified and put to jail. Sadly, the stolen money hadn’t been found yet…

Looting some items with a composite name caused trouble, giving you only a “NULL” item. You don’t need “NULL” items to finish the game, and so they are removed now and replaced with real ones.

Thank you all for your great feedback!

Regards
    Mario

P.S. I found that the game settings screen still shows 2.11 as version number. Sorry. You will have 2.12 upon updating, no matter what they say.

9. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Hey Mario
    I started playing the original BT3 as the DLC in The Bard's Tale, and wow, your game is so much more user friendly. I didn't realize how all of the little details mattered until I tried BT3 and really missed them (like having info on what each weapon/item does).

However, I have a question for you about BT3 that I haven't been able to get answered on the Bard's Tale thread. I have a rogue in my party with a bow and arrows (both equipped), but I can't get her to use it. Whenever she attacks, it's always melee. Do you know how to make it work?

10. Thank you Art,

Oddly, that's one of the mysteries I didn't solve either :)

The real pain with the BT3 remake begins when you first enter a dungeon... swapping disks on every game save kills the passion.

Regards
    Mario

11. Update 2.1.3 released

In preparation of the first expansion, some more updates are on the way :)

Here is the ChangeLog for the latest update:

- Runes should give more bonus now
    - the ship to Paradosa will depart regularly after Maruziel is gone
    - much more loot now
    - mid- and high-level casters resist spells much better now
    - SOSI not cast correctly - fixed
    - some minor map and bug fixes
    - movement should no longer freeze upon pushing casting/using/playing symbols repeatedly

Have fun!
    Regards
    Mario

12. Update 2.1.4 is live!

Finally, the new update has gone live!

Besides some fixes for the new iOS6 and the iPhone5, these changes are also in effect:

- New Paladin Spell "Path of the Crusader" - no more annoying random encounters ;-)
    - Inventory limit raised to 15 (you will need the extra space with the upcoming expansion)
    - Items have been adjusted
    - The loot chance has been adjusted

Enjoy! The next update is already in preparation with more nice features.

Kind Regards
    Mario

13. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Thanks! I really appreciate the work your putting into this!!!

14. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Finally decided to spend some quality time with this and I am having an absolute blast! Thanks for all of the work you have put into this game, icetear!

15. punch.rockgroin

punch.rockgroin Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    This is a fantastic game and everyone should buy it. The only iOS game that's somewhat similar to this is The Quest, but I find Silversword's gameplay much more engaging, particularly the combat system. I can't wait for the expansion!

16. Thank you very much :)

Actually, here are some news for the new update 2.1.5:

- Travel from Savage Crossing to Annsharbour was bugged, now fixed.
    - Routinier Achievement did count to 20 instead to 10.
    - Quest-Log entry for Tarasz priestess fixed.
    - prevent Travel To Beacon if party has the sickle for Gwyddon.
    - some more iOS6 / iPhone5 problems fixed.

Kind regards
    Mario

17. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Is there any place that sells harmonic gems? (Or that I can farm them?) I really like the game, but my mages aren't having as much fun as the rest of the group...

I know I can create sorc after sorc and steal theirs, but I'd rather not resort to that.

18. Hi Dave,

Harmonic gems are random loot only, you cannot buy them.
    In addition there are plenty places where you can restore your magic energy. You just have to find them ;-)

Kind regards
    Mario

19. BadYeti

BadYeti Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Icetear,

This is a fantastic game. Thank you so much for making it.

I did want to pass along a little feedback for any future work.

1) It's very hard to get a contextual understanding of where your party is located. The world map has very few named landmarks, no positional marker, and no way to associate actual game maps to their location on the world map. I get frustrated about this constantly in the game. Consider the old Might and Magic world maps, which had many landmarks and grid quadrants that were reviewable in-game. It was easy to find where you were on the world map. Similarly, look at The Quest iOS game. Each game map has a name, the player can review in-game which game map they're in, and the world map shows the player where each named game map is located. I think The Quest's world map would be an excellent model for Silversword.

2) The journal log is very limited and there is no way to identify outstanding vs complete quests. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing, other than helping some city that is on the other side of the world map. The first "dungeon" is provided some context for exploring via a mission, but no others have yet. There are a couple of other "dungeons" near the starting location that can be cleared, and I have done so, but it would be nice to have some context, driving motivation and objectives.

Again, it is a great game and I'm definitely enjoying it.

20. Hello BadYeti,

thank you very much for your feedback.
    Your ideas are very appreciated :)
    I will try to improve the map and log functionality in future updates!

Kind regards
    Mario