When will there be a truly exciting multiplayer game on the iphone?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jt09, Aug 10, 2009.

1. jt09

jt09 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Sure there is multiplayer games like star hogs and light bike but none of those games give you the thrill of multiplayer on consoles or the computer. I just came back from playing this game day of defeat source with several of my college buddies and we had more fun then I believe could ever be had on the iphone. Do you think we will ever have a multiplayer game that matches or is better then a console or computer? Will it be livefire or modern combat?

2. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    Livefire/KillTest/FPS looks like it will deliver that. Especially with the robust networking system for connectivity.

3. julzsantana15

julzsantana15 Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Michigan
    #3 julzsantana15, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
    Yeah, i think Livefire/Fps will be the breakthrough multiplayer game since Ngmoco been working on it for so long and it looks pretty sweet from gameplay on the Ngmoshow, and with plus+ it will make the game even more sweeter. And i dont know officially if Modern Combat will be multiplayer but it will be extremely awesome if it is, it could be though with Gameloft Live coming out.

4. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

FAST and Baseball Slugger already give some great multiplayer. Although I agree livefire looks great

5. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Modern Combat will have multiplayer but in an update not when the game is first released. Livefire will also be a top notch one too

6. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

+1

Currently F.A.S.T. (dog-fighting) and Baseball Slugger (homerun competition) are the two major multiplayer games for our platform.

7. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    See those parts I put in bold?

Those are, IMHO, the inherent flaws.

You are comparing a mobile platform to PCs and video game home consoles, which have much more sheer brute strength to power such multiplayer games and requesting that multiplayer experiences match those of those more powerful devices.

Look, I don't doubt that iPhone/touch multiplayer via WiFi or bluetooth can be and will be great, but it most likely will NEVER match the smoothness and experience one will get with a PC or home console. It's a simple matter of power, tbqh.

What I would shoot for, however, is multiplayer experiences (smoothness, gameplay, fun factor, etc.) comparable to the portable video game system market (DS and PSP). That market, while distinct, is closer to the mobile market of which iPhone/touch is part than the video game home console and PC gaming markets respectively. The technology is closer, the average play times are closer, etc., etc., etc.

And in that regard...I think iPhone/touch game developers have succeeded for the most part and will continue to succeed. Something like LiveWire will most likely not match the Unreal Tournaments, Halo 3s, Resistance 2s or even the Conduits of the world. But...it just might match or even surpass the Metroid Prime Hunters and Coded Arms Contagions of the world.

8. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Some developers have already stated that their problem with adding multiplayer is the server costs. The game would have to sell really well in order for them to feel that it's worth it.

9. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Well, it depends on the data type you're holding / transmitting :)

I don't think actual iPhone simple games would cost that much.

They would involve some financial risks, for sure, but that's another story.

10. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    DinoSmash!
    It gives you full multiplayer with no lag

11. DOG87

DOG87 Well-Known Member

Minigore will get multiplayer in the 4th update

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Here at work we are playing F.A.S.T. and Flight Control.

On one device, Nukeball and Slotz are fun too.

Nanomechs or iMech over bluetooth would go over like wildfire here, I wish more games were bluetooth multiplayer...

13. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
  14. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    yeah, what he said... but how can we know, its not even out yet

15. dragmor

dragmor Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I think this game might the be tipping point for multiplayer games since it has 8 players while other games are only saying they will deliver 4. Even the Game formally known as Livefire says it will only have 4 players. I think for a game to really break the ice for multiplayer it has to be easy to play have many players and have a good balance system so that no one weapon/strategy ownes everyone.

16. Fistfulofdlrz

Fistfulofdlrz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Did you try games like "Uniwar" and "Reign of Swords"? Or are you looking for "real-time" multiplayer?