The day I stopped worrying and learned to love the $6.99.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Joltrabbit, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    #1 Joltrabbit, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    What's the purchase that broke your habit of only going for free or 99 cent games? What broke the "It'll be free soon, so why get it now?" habit?

My first: Hunters 2. $4.99 launch day and put 35-40 hours into it. A bit later I picked up Yesterday for 4.99 and enjoying it.

I say this as I stare at the buy buttons for
    Metal Slug 3 and Dungeon Hunter 2.

The silly part: Dungeon Hunter Alliance on PSVita is $39.99. Puts app store stuff in perspective.

2. Nshager

Nshager Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Zija Distributor
    Kentucky, USA
    I've put money into games, but usually only when the devs are very active on TA and answer questions, listen to feedback, etc.

MLB At Bat is the most ive spent, and have did that for several years. (I know, it's not a game.)

3. #3 Connector, Jul 19, 2012
    Cave shmup games. I have bought almost all of these, and they are all over $10. But buying 5 is kind of like buying one $50 console game, so I think it was well worth it.

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    When I started buying iOS games over 3.5 years ago, $0.99 wasn't the most popular price on the AppStore. No race to the bottom yet. Imagine that.

5. What were the prices like 3.5 years ago? I'm curious. What was Angry birds selling for back then?

6. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    The AppStore has actually been around for four years now. Angry Birds has only been around for 2.5..and launched for $0.99.

The original Fieldrunners launched in October 2008 though for $4.99. The second one, which is improved in every way possible, came out yesterday. It's going for $2.99.

7. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Angry Birds HD launch price was 5 dollars if I remember correctly

8. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I started getting into iOS gaming over 3 years ago and like backtothis said, there were no obvious "my game isn't going to be noticed unless it's 99 cents" price drops yet. Developers sold their products for an amount that they thought were fair for what you were getting. The first game that I ever bought on the app store was Cro-Mag Rally, a relatively new title for many of you here now, but was the hottest iOS game going at the time and was selling at a premium price of $9.99.

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Pfft.

I've spent upwards to $19.99 a pop on some music apps and they've been complete bargains.

$0.99 is nothing. $6.99 for Slug 3 isn't much either. My MVS copy cost a LOT more than that. ;)

10. Joltrabbit

Jul 5, 2012
    #10 Joltrabbit, Jul 19, 2012
    This is what I get for not getting an iPhone until December 2011.

I guess a better way to phrase it would be what game after the advent of the $.99 game made it okay to spend $5-$10 again. And to be fair it looks like all of the vets here on TA were doing just this.

Edit: Wow neo Geo cart memories I remember having a deal where I had an arcade converter which allowed me to play the arcade carts and I could get them for 50 to 60 bucks a pop instead of the 200 people were asking for the home versions.

11. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Probably when The Quest: Gold came out...not sure if that was 2009 or 2010.

The standard version is more than a buck anyway; figured I might as well get the expansions thrown in. To be honest, I only buy 99 cent apps if there either happens to be a sale on a game I wanted anyhow or if my iTunes balance falls below about 4 bucks.

...or if there's no choice, of course. I'm thinking about unlocking Henry and the Psyconauts (if that's the name, I'm tired as hell), but I would much prefer a stand alone non-trial binary. I don't feel like dealing with restoring purchases every time I install or remove an app (and I usually install via the wifi store under previous purchases, since I've had prior devices wiped when syncing).

12. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    When COD WaW: Zombies came out. Just could'nt resist it. Now almost all my games are above €0,79.

13. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I'm pretty new to iOS gaming. Coming over from console gaming I never had the idea that $10 was too much for a game. I started out by buying almost all the squaresoft games. I know this is an old argument by now, the $.99, free and freemium pricing of games on the AppStore is not something I really care for.
    I can only see it adding to the crap games that proliferate the market and the terrible games that sit in the top ten grossing games most of the time.
    Premium pricing = better games.
    Freemium / $.99 pricing = more garbage apps.

Just my opinion.

14. Joltrabbit

Jul 5, 2012
    #14 Joltrabbit, Jul 19, 2012
    I may start a rule for August that I can only buy games that cost more than a buck just to see where it takes me.

Reason: I'm spamming my available space with so many $1 and free titles I can never get to them all.

15. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Hopefully to rocketcat games.
    There are a ton of amazing games for $2 - $3 on the AppStore.
    There are also a bunch of great games priced permenantly at a dollar.
    If you have a rule against spending $.99 on a game (or not spending more than that) you might miss out on some great games.

Love the strangelove reference in the thread title by the way.

16. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    No kidding. The whole package eventually cost us early adopters $20 total.

17. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    The whole package cost me 1.99 :D

18. Joltrabbit

Jul 5, 2012
    My hope would be those games would still be a dollar or free by the time August ended. This would just keep me from buying way too many games.

And I am glad you caught the title. The movie was on cable recently and it reminded me I don't have it on Blu-ray yet.

19. Nshager

Nshager Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Zija Distributor
    Kentucky, USA
    Never got a Cave game. Suggestions of what I should try to get introduced? I keep hearing about them but never tried. Thanks!!!

20. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Holy hell...has it really been that long? So I remember having to "buy" an ios update from apple to enable the wifi store (among other things).

Gone is the time when a bored programmer could make millions creating a "fart generator" app, eh?

That gave me a thought...you want to buy a product from a dedicated dev? Get Pocket God. 99 cents and it has been updated countless times since release...it used to be one of the top forum topics...people were always bugging him for new episodes.

On the flipside, there was Eliminate, which really juiced the in-app sales practice, though they didn't go through Apple servers. I'm sure there were farming games out before then, but that was the first game (as opposed to clicking and waiting for an animation) I can remeber that instituted an energy system which limited gameplay time, unless you paid for more.