The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. DrJD

DrJD Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    in transit
    Thanks for the great review, Shaun. I've only been through this once, and still can't decide if I want to go again to try the class I missed the first time (mage).

I was never quite sure if I was using the summoner the best way. I thought it was worth having in my party just for the conjuring, but never quite figured out the best strategy otherwise. Seemed most of the powerful skills required being in beast mode.

2. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I used the mage this time around and he was a wrecking ball. Just have to keep plenty of spirit replenishment items on hand.

Glad you liked it! And thanks for the kind words from you and others on the previous page. I've been ultra-busy so I haven't been peeking in here as often as I should. Sorry about that! I appreciate all the support.

3. Christian86

Christian86 Active Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Hey shaun any idea if dragon quest 6 has hit the japenese app store yet and why we havent gotten chaos rings 3 here yet in the states

4. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Good questions! I've been wondering the same.

5. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    No, Dragon Quest 6 isn't out on mobile yet in any region. Typically they've been staggered anywhere from 3-6 months in Japan, so I expect it fairly soon, but I have no information on that.

As for Chaos Rings 3, the only thing I can guess is that they're planning on releasing the Vita Trilogy in worldwide as well, so iOS is left waiting for that plan to come together. But again, no official information, just my speculation.

6. duncanedi

duncanedi Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    question about King of Dragon Pass

Shaun, as usual excellent review/commentary.. in this case about KoDP , and it came at the exact right moment for me... almost a signal that i should buy it on android and start playing it at once...

I was wondering something about the game... do you think its a game that you can play for just a few minutes, make some decisions and came back later or its more like you have to play for a while to get it right? Right now I only can play for short amounts of time so i want a game that would be engaging but at the same time easy to pick it up...

thanks in advance... you really are a guru for us here on TA :)
    Edward

7. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Thanks for the kind words!

As for King Of Dragon Pass, I think you can enjoy it by picking it up for a few minutes at a time, but it might be hard to beat it that way. Your memory might be sharper than mine, though.

8. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    New article's up, finally coming back to a Square Enix game after a couple of months away. It's Final Fantasy Dimensions! We're going to be recording the next podcast this weekend, covering King of Dragon Pass. It should go up on the first Monday of May, provided nothing crazy happens like the last couple of times.

Thanks again for all your support!

9. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    FFD has no iCloud support, which pains me a bit :(

Hi Shaun, I'm wondering if Ravenmark:SOE counts as an RPG? It's actually more of a "tactical puzzle game" to me though :p

10. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    In my personal and highly arbitrary opinion, no, it doesn't count. There should be some kind of growth of some sort in an RPG, whether it be equipment or level-based or *something*

Ravenmark has the set dressing we'd associate with an RPG, and the battle system isn't too different from SRPGs, but in practice it's more of a straight up turn-based wargame.

11. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Well, I agree that there should be some kind of "growing" to make an RPG, pity

12. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    New Reload's up! It's Partia time, excellent!

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    We gotta fight! For our right! To Paaaaaartia!

Ok that was bad. o_O

14. DeNappa

DeNappa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Netherlands
    I got a question for you guys. Ever since accidentally stumbling upon the soundtrack, I've been considering playing Xenoblade Chronicles. Seeing that it's a Nintendo title, it would require me to also acquire a wii/wiiU first. Is it worth it? I also saw it was released for 3DS last month but I don't have one of those either, and I'm afraid it would be less, say, immersive, when played on a small screen.

15. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    I can't say the 3ds version is better than the wii version, because I haven't played it. But if you're going to buy an entire console to go with it, then I recommend buying the new 3ds version because the 3ds library is hella nice right now. In my opinion, better than the wii. After xenoblade, you can buy monster hunter 3 or 4, shin megami tensei 4, some new persona games coming out, and a wealth of indie games. Buy a new 3ds, get xenoblade chronicles and then know that your options aren't limited once you finish the game.

16. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    That's my thinking as well. 3ds is a great system, and if you don't have one, might as well get the new one. Having a deep, playable RPG on the go is the only way to do it IMHO. :D

17. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Loved the FF4 reload. It got me to pick it up again and update it! I'm throwing in a vote for Final Fantasy 3 this time. I'm super excited to read about that one. It's the only RPG that I've played continually on all 3 iPhones I've had. Still playing the same file. Anyway, great Reload, as always. Thanks for the hard work, Shaun!

18. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Got a new 3DS XL about a month ago and it's fantastic. MH4U is awesome. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is really good. The eshop games are also great. If you can afford it, it's definitely worth it.

19. DeNappa

DeNappa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Netherlands
    Cool, I'll have to check out the availability but I might just try to get it then. Being a handheld allows for some gaming while commuting asbwell. Still it's always a letdown to see cool titles limited to 1 platform.

20. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    New one's up, it's Rogue Ninja! Actually talked to the developer yesterday, he's a nice guy. Turns out he lives pretty near where I do, haha. SMALL WORLD.