TBS theme - what would you like to play?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Thomas Lund, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Thomas Lund

Thomas Lund Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    IT consultant and game developer
    Sweden
    Hey guys,

So here goes a totally non-scientific quick poll.

As you might have seen, we recently released Tactical Soldier - Undead Rising. Zombie themed survival TBS (www.tacticalsoldier.com). The middleware we created can be used for other squad level TBS games, and I am simply starting the though process of what would people like to play.

So without this being any kind of democratic "whoever gives most votes wins", you are still going to influence the choice in some ways if you voice your oppinion!

Given any kind of theme - tell me what you would like to play!

Here are some potential options:
    - modern combat in arabic countries (think Call of Duty Modern Warfare as TBS)
    - space encounters in alien spaceships (think Space Hulk)
    - aliens on planet earth (think xcom)
    - fantasy dungeon crawler (think Eye of the Beholder - if you are old enough :D )
    - ww2 behind enemy lines (think classic WW2 games)
    - .... your favorite theme

Anything goes!! No promises from me to ever do it, but I really would love to hear from you.

/Thomas

2. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Post apocalyptic sci-fi (think Fallout). Pretty please.

p.s.
    Really love your game. Half of the reason why I love is so much is your camera perspective implementation. Very nice.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    You should make the poll, heheh. On a different note, TS: UR was definitely the best TBS I've played in a long, long time. It's no doubt in the top 3 for the genre.

4. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Either Warhammer 40k (post apocalyptic) or Warhammer (medieval fantasy) types would be some sweet TBS games to see. Lots of factions/races/units with a lot of diversity, depth, and plenty of diverse maps. Campaigns, skirmishes either single or multiplayer and we're good to go! I think it would work well and implementing iap would work for additional races/campaigns/map packs.

5. VoidRay

VoidRay Member

Feb 23, 2011
    A Fantasy theme like FFT:TWOL, fire Emblem or Tactics Ogre.

6. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    What about an Advanced Wars (Modern Combat) theme? I've definitely waited for one for quite a while.

7. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Pirates, Arrrrgh!
    Check out this vid!

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #8 undeadcow, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
    - Disgaea: If you're going to clone something, clone Disgaea.
    - A neurological battlefield with opposing mental synapses/thoughts (i.e. Psychonauts but turn based)

9. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #9 undeadcow, Apr 23, 2011
    - Time Travel/Alternative Realities - playing a alternative mimic of characters in different times.
    - Cutesy food fight game - ketchup versus mustard within the fridge.

10. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #10 undeadcow, Apr 23, 2011
    - There's lots of potential for clever nonsensical themes (for example imagine iOS games like Shift, Osmosis, or Pix 'n Love Rush somehow done turn based).
    -Battling Godzilla-like monsters like the classic arcade game Rampage only turn based. If nothing else having a good boss level is a nice touch.

Edit: Sorry for the multiple posts, my computer weirded out.

11. Thomas Lund

Nov 17, 2008
    Sweden
    Hey guys and girls(?)

Wow - nice list to wake up to in some ways. Very little overlap in ideas!

My brain is debating with itself if we need to go more mainstream (classic TBS game themes) or expand into the corners of exotic blends like space pirates robbing nazi trader transports while dodging the space police in an alternate universe where Hitler won - or ketchup vs mustard in the kitchen (NEVER heard that one before!! cool. hehe).

The basic is, that we have to live off making these games, and picking something weird *could* limit the audience. Similar to Tactical Soldier which for sure wasnt picked up by some simply because they didnt like zombie games.

Personally I love the Warhammer 40k universe, but its more or less impossible to get access to the license for a small indie like us. Doesnt mean we could not make a clone and call it something else - heh.

Going mainstream would on the one hand expand the number of potential buyer - but at the same time make the game somewhat more bland and maybe drown out in other games in the same theme. Making something in a thematic niche might scare potential buyers away. Know what I mean?

Thats where I decided to post here and put a finger in the ground :-D

/Thomas

12. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    I second this . I want to kick hitler's butt ! :)

13. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #13 gunxsword, Apr 23, 2011
    Disgaea satisfies and describes all your concerns. It's refreshingly unique, mainstream, niched (personal opinion formed after too much 'mainstream TBS') and anyone could take its concept and develop a new game out of it. Seriously, just snug the word Disgaea into your app description and wait...
    I would happily pay more than the most expensive single item purchased for a Disgaea clone/style combat system game on iPhone.

14. frogtorch

frogtorch Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    There are tons of sword and sorcery TBSs. Theme goes a long way for me, so I would like something a bit different: Clowns vs. Kids, Cops vs. Gangsters, Mummies vs. Explorers.

15. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Chickens vs Chick(Girls Chicks)

16. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    A vampire themed TBS game would be interesting (unless you're concerned about getting pigeon holed into horror-ish games).

17. Thomas Lund

Nov 17, 2008
    Sweden
    Other weird ideas in my head is to not use persons - but tanks or planes or ships (or combo of these). Tactical naval battlegroup game.

18. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Wolfenstien but TBS. You pull in the less inspired punters cos its just another WWII war game but then about halfway through its "oh shit, Nazi vampire werewolves"......I would play that game.

Also, cowboys.

19. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    "Post apocalyptic sci-fi (think Fallout)" ...THIS! :D

20. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Those things are never successful in the App Store. What's next, birds and pigs? ;). I do agree that anything fantasy related should be avoided - there are too many already. Anyway Battle for Wesnoth is already a great fantasy TBS, so they would need something that stands out.

:) I agree with his agreement of my suggestion. There's nothing like that in the store currently...