iPhone gaming -> iOS gaming?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by DemonJim, Jun 16, 2011.

1. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Now that the iPad has really taken off, and the iPod touch is also a very big player, perhaps it's time the site's subtitle was renamed to, "...Keeping you in touch with the latest in iOS gaming"?

As popular as this site is, not everybody in the world is as savvy as TA regulars (there are people new to iOS every day), and maybe a less-savvy new iPad owner might come across TA and after seeing the subtitle of the site dismiss it?

Apple renamed the iPhone SDK to iOS SDK pretty soon after the iPad came out to reflect the change in the market so how about TA follows suit?

I'd also like to see a Universal forum, with platform-specific sub-forums, so those with Universal apps can have a single discussion thread. I know many developers would massively appreciate this, and if gamers appreciate Universal apps then it'd be a good as if the Universal forum was the main first-stop for viewers it would encourage devs to go Universal.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think it could go either way to be honest. My sister owns an iPod Touch but I'm pretty sure she hasn't heard the term iOS before.

3. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    That's true - it doesn't say iOS anywhere on the device or packaging so indeed that might be a bad move. I'm sure the TA guys have thought about this before (and will shoot the idea down) but thought I'd raise the issue anyway.

I suppose we would need an official term that encompasses all iOS devices, like iDevice, but one that is officially accepted as the umbrella term actually trademarked by Apple.

iOS is too techy for the layperson I guess, and I seem to see it as "SO!" upside down. So yeah, it's a rubbish idea :)

4. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Glad to see the site subtitle has now been changed to read 'iOS' along with the excellent new logo and colours -- about time too ;)