Universal My Friend Spooner - Puzzle / Comic fusion by Monkube

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Sven - Monkube, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Sven - Monkube

Sven - Monkube Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    #1 Sven - Monkube, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    Hey guys, we finally, FINALLY nearly done with our next game. So since our last game, 6th Planet, got a great review on TA (ages ago, but still), we want to test the water by throwing some stuff on the TA forum.

This is the pitch: Lost Vikings meets Sin City. ... or was it Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas?

It should be out simultaneously in iOS, Windows Phone and Android. The Press roll-out should be happening in the next few weeks.

You can check the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6z5YH5A0NM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    How the -bleep- do I get the trailer to show here directly? Anyone?

3. magicfreak

magicfreak Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Research /GamingSoon @AppAdvice.com
    too little info...we need more...

4. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I remember liking 6th Planet pretty much and after this video, consider your game bought by me, no doubt. Good luck !

5. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    #5 Sven - Monkube, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    More info. Okay. That I can do. (seriously, someone, help me out on getting the trailer to play within this forum)

My Friend Spooner puts you in control of 3 characters. A monkey, a horse and a rhino. They all have unique abilities and if you combine two of them, or even all three, you can do even more stuff. It's up to you to use them to reach the end of each level. Blizzard's old game Lost Vikings was certainly an inspiration. But My Friend Spooner is less of a 'direct control platformer' that Blizzard's game.

Completing a set of levels rewards you with a new scene of comic book background story. And after that, there's new levels waiting, with one extra object thrown in to make the puzzles even more complex.

Story-wise. Well, you're in for a treat. People who've played 6th Planet know we take that part of the job very serious.

Depending on the platform, it will either be a 3$ game, or a free game that lets you play the starting levels, and then lets you unlock the full game for 3$. iOS will probably be the first, as free games + 1 IAP doesn't do very well as a business model there.

6. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    Let's add another screen. Just to show off how cool the art-style is.
    The comic was done by the same guy who did the 6th Planet comic, by the way.

[​IMG]

7. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Ooh, looks cool. Will keep an eye on this.

8. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID

I like the comic on the video, looking forward to try the game. if the game will be free with unlock, please make sure that player can get 'the excited curious' feeling to unlock the next levels ;)

9. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    Well, we had Rob Yescombe (videogame writer who's currently working on The Division and Rime, and also did Crysis 2 and 3) give the story a final layer of polish. He was pretty impressed with how we tackled the 'excited curious feeling to unlock the next levels' thing :) He didn't expect stuff like this from a mobile game.

Now, you must know, I was once a games journalist myself, and I trashed so many games containing bad storylines, that doing mediocre stories isn't really an option at Monkube :)

The difference between My Friend Spooner and 6th Planet is that we hope we did a better job in making the gameplay and the story one. You'll be the judge of that pretty soon.

Thanks for the trailer by the way ;-)