What's the best chess app?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SpaceJunk, Sep 4, 2009.

1. SpaceJunk

SpaceJunk Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Right now I have Shredder and Chess Genius installed as I believe these are the most premier apps with the most features and advanced AI. Am I overlooking any other titles that trumps the two I mentioned? Criteria to go by would be AI, interface, game analysis and built-in puzzles.

Also can anyone recommend chess apps that are strictly centered around puzzles? I already have Chess Problems installed but if there are any others please mention them.

And finally if you are looking for an app that contains a catalog of games by grandmasters from the past, Great Chess is a great app.

2. Lombardo

Lombardo Well-Known Member

Hey wait a second this isnt a game release question mark exclamation point

3. Negamaki

Negamaki Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    3D Chess looks pretty good.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=314022946&mt=8 (too lazy to do the appinfo thing)

4. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Well-Known Member

So many wrong placed forums tonight, but the best chess app overall is caissa

5. SpaceJunk

Aug 14, 2009
    Does this belong in the General Games and Discussion forum? If it does, mods you can move it.

6. Nightstalker

Nightstalker Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Why so curious?
    #7 Nightstalker, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  7. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have Handy Chess to play people on FICS. Its pretty good, but its too risky to play if you dont have a wifi connection. At least for me.

I understand ICC also has an app.

8. Kita

Kita Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Boston
    I have over 5 chess games and Shredder is the best imo. Chess Genius is also good but it's horribly outdated

9. SpaceJunk

Aug 14, 2009
    What do you mean it's outdated? What makes it so?

10. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I'm absolutely in love with Deep Green Chess lite by cocoa stuff I think it is. the full version is 7.99$ but the lite is already worth having, See all your past moves get moves suggestions when your stuck, 10 difficulty levels the last one is impossible.

I suggest try the lite of Deep Green, it's free and it's polished and it's a serius chess app.

11. JCik68

JCik68 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    student
    Slovakia
    What about Chess Elite?

12. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    I like chess genius, I've also tried shredder but didn't like it as much. HIARCS is the one everybody wants now. It's new, and looks very good. I may give it a go.