Tail Drift - An Arcade Flight Racing Game. Coming June 2014

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Mr_Snuffle, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hahah, fair enough!

Looking forward to see some more of the more interesting designs :p

2. Kentarou

Kentarou New Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Hey everyone!

JCho, We may not specifically have any sky-boats yet; but we do have some silly designs!

This one is one of my favourites:

[​IMG]

3. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Hahah that's my favorite so far

Another cool thing would be holiday themed planes, similar to how Infinity Blade makes holiday themed helmets that come and go as the holidays do

4. Holiday stuff is something we have planned :) We can give more details after we nut out the specifics.

5. [​IMG]

Today we got Tail Drift running with a MOGA iOS controller :)

6. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Is this compatible with the iPhone 4?

7. We will hit as many devices as we can, so hopefully. Our current target is iPhone 4s, but we'll certainly try our best :)

8. Tail Drift Beta!

[​IMG]

Tail Drift has gone into Beta on Android!

We're super keen to get everyone's feedback to make Tail Drift as awesome as possible. We've still got a long way to go, but we'd love to get as many people as we can jump into the game and tell us what you think.

To join the beta, jump on over to the Google+ community here.

Just click the "Ask to Join" button and once approved you'll be able to download the game from the Google Play store.

9. It's been a while since our last update, but we've been super busy.

Here is some footage from the latest build of the game

Lots of things have changed between now and our last update, but we really wanted to lock things down before we announced anything else. The biggest news is we're no longer going to be a free to play game. There are a few reasons for that (and I can go into some of the details if anyone is interested), but it's really allowed us to focus on making the game awesome, rather than finding ways to monetise.

We've gone a little over schedule, but we're definitely getting closer. We should be in the store end of August. We're super excited to get people racing.

10. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Hey guys, long time not see!

Glad to hear the great news (that you've gone premium). I'm sure you heard about 99 Bricks, and how they did a similar turnaround in their pricing model, and I'm pretty sure it performed quite well financially. I think it's great that you guys have made this decision, and I really hope it works out for you guys. I'd love to hear the details on why you guys switched.

Also, that gameplay looks really good! The lighting in particular looks fantastic. I can't wait to get my hands on this, I can guarantee I'll be the first one to slap the buy button at launch ;)

11. Thanks :) We're really happy with how it's coming together too.

There were a couple of reasons we made the switch to premium.

We didn't feel like F2P was a great fit for the type of game we're making. F2P can work well with games with endless content (like runners), but is harder with level based games. We could have added lots of grind with the plane upgrades, sold currency, had consumable boosts and ads, but we felt it was getting in the way of making the game we wanted to make.

Another reason is we're a small team with a modest budget. F2P can take months to tune into a profitable game. Going premium out of the gate means we (hopefully) get sales soon after launch, and that makes things easier for continuing to support Tail Drift, and working on more games.

We just need to get the word out so people know the game!

We're going to have more updates soon, there is plenty more we've worked on that we're going to show off. :D

12. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #52 JCho133, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    Well it sure sounds like you've made the right choice! I really am incredibly happy to see this become premium, and I'm looking forward to see what else you have to show off! The game is looking really awesome :D

(Fingers crossed for a boat)

13. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Well this looks cool. I'll have to keep an eye over here.

14. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    wow this looks great, when you plan on releasing it for iOS?

15. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I believe they said end of August

16. #56 Mr_Snuffle, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    Yep, we are shooting for end of August.

Just quickly, here is one of the new planes we've added - The Wildfire

[​IMG]

17. Hey everyone! It's been a while, but that's because we've been hard at work. A couple of days ago we were officially approved for sale by Apple, and will be releasing Tail Drift on iPhone and iPad this Wednesday, 9th oct.

We're super thankful for all of the feedback we've had from this thread. It's been incredibly helpful during the development process, and will continue to be as we keep making Tail Drift even more awesome :)

Something I want to address before release is IAP. We had a pretty crazy ride when figuring out how we were going to use them. We started by building the game as a free game, with IAPs there to support development. We had a hard time finding a way to make IAPs work with the kind of game we want, and eventually ditched them entirely.

We built the game around a premium experience.

Then a few weeks before submit to Apple, when competing for scores against my friends and trying to hold on to the coveted crown for each event, I personally found myself wanting the ability to just drop a small amount of money to just buy the upgrades on my plane, rather than competing in races to earn coins.

Upgrading a plane doesn't take long, but I'm an impatient man! I wanted the option to just circumvent the whole process.

It was at that point, we finally settled on our business model - we'd build a game that's perfectly playable without spending any extra money, but give the option for those people who want to just quickly unlock everything.

The game will be available very soon, and we're keen to hear your continued feedback on the things we can do to make Tail Drift the game the fans want.

18. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #58 JCho133, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    Wow! It's so close! I'm psyched to finally see this release!

About the IAP: I feel like that model is the best way to go. Build it as premium game but still give buyers the option of they so choose. More often then not, players will buy an IAP as a "tip" to the devs for making an awesome game that doesn't require IAP (which I'll be doing). Foursaken Media is a prime example of our community specifically partaking in such an action.

(I would totally buy a boat pack)

So, what'll the final price be?

19. Our launch price in 99c :)

20. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    :eek:

I'll definitely be sending an IAP your way