Real Racing 3 probably wont be supported after launch and will be a diaster

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DigitalB33R, Feb 15, 2013.

1. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    #1 DigitalB33R, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    This isn't a RR3 hating thread. Hear me out.

Most people should know the game Trenches. One of the first great strategy games that came on the App Store. Players would battle it out in WWI skrimishes, built trenches, and try to overrun the enemy.

The developer, Thunder Game Works was an indie dev and sold the game between $0.99 and $2.99. They also constantly updated the game.

-Constant bug fixes and gameplay balancing
    -Multiplayer
    -Zombies Horde Mode
    -Game Center support
    -and more

They constantly viewed customer feedback greatly and supported the game for over 2 years.

Then they partnered with EA for Trenches II, their sequel to their original game in late 2011. Now you would think this was a good thing as all EA would do is make the game more public.

But it was the exact opposite. What happened? Here's a timeline.

Dec 14, 2011 - Trenches II launched on the App Store
    Dec 19, 2011 - On their official blog, TGW promises a huge update is coming
    Feb 9, 2012 - On their blog, they say their hard at work on the update and new games
    Feb 19, 2012 - On their blog, they say the update would come around mid-March/early April
    April 13, 2012 - They submit they're update to EA and expect them to approve it in mid-May
    May 18. 2012 - They announce they're update as been delayed
    June 27, 2012- They resubmit they're update to EA
    September 25, 2012 - They confirm that the update as been stalled by EA, with them having no power to do anything.
    November 27, 2012 - They mention that the update will come no likely before Christmas, but soon.

Then in 2013... (yes 2 years later), they decided to cut ties with EA and go indie again.

"By now, you're aware that EA has graciously released Trenches II from its publishing agreement. Unfortunately this meant they pulled it from the AppStore completely a couple of weeks ago. No worries, though ... we're working on getting it back in your hands as soon as possible."

They submitted Trenches II to the App Store and now its just waiting approval for Apple. They're making Trenches II universal and free for the 1st week as compensation due to the fact that purchases of EA's Trenches II has been removed from the App Store.

--------------------------------------------

This is the story of what EA can do to you and a likely outcome of what could happen to Real Racing 3. EA filled Trenches II with IAPs, made it so you are forced to have Origin to play, made the game not universally supported, and delayed updates for 2 years.

Remember, when Firemint made the original Real Racing/Real Racing 2, they didn't have IAP to the extent EA games are filled with now, used Game Center, and constant updates, etc.

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Real racing 2 has iap

3. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
    Yes, but the IAP was no so in your face like RR3.

://toucharcade.com/2011/07/14/real-racing-2-and-real-racing-hd-get-more-content-in-new-update/

4. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    True but you worded it like it had none that's all but I do agree with you about this. My thing is the day it was suppose to be out they pulled out last second yet did anyone know the real reason?

5. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
    I'm more concerned on why EA wouldn't let them update the game.

Was it possible that the update was too big/good?

EA usually never adds new features in its games, even if it does its usually bug fixes. Rarely you'll a new game mode or something.

6. Can you give us a 2 or 3 sentence what the topic is? It is a little confusing.

7. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    It's a diaster, I tell you. A complete diaster.

8. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
    This is pretty much about how EA ruined the Trenches series.

I'm just showing an actual example of a game going down because of EA, I feel with all the negative views of RR3, something similar will happen.

I was a huge Trenches fan, I don't think how bad some people think this problem actually is.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

#9 Eli, Feb 15, 2013
    The real story of Trenches II: The original did really well, EA was exploring publishing third party developers, and this seemed like a great deal for for the developer. Unfortunately, EA didn't really promote it at all, as Kris was the one emailing us about everything not EA.

So, Trenches II sort of bombed in the sales department and it likely just never made enough money to rationalize investing more time into updating it especially when EA wasn't interested in promoting it. Another good example of this is Reckless Racing which similarly was published by EA and went nowhere.

That's... Basically as far as this conspiracy theory goes. Those games weren't supported because they didn't sell well.

Again, Occam's Razor.

Edit: R-Type was especially crazy. EA published that too, I went to an actual EA event in NYC around the same time it was coming out and the game wasn't even included in what they were showing there. I had to ask and they had to find someone with it on their device. So, yeah, there's basically nothing nefarious going on here aside from these games just not selling well.

10. That was a very good explanation Eli. Was kind of confused about this topic, but well explained, thanks.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What absolutely kills me about all this shit surrounding this game is everyone is coming up with these grand conspiracy theories when the answers are all so simple and obvious... And I'M the jerk for pointing that out!

*sigh*

12. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
    #12 DigitalB33R, Feb 15, 2013
    That's unfortunate.

But with the original one selling really well, it only made sense that EA promoting it would make it sell well.

I still felt it lost sales because EA didn't allow for updates. They're were MAJOR bugs in Trenches 2 that needed to be fixed. If those were fixes like in-game crashing it would have gotten better reviews on the App Store.

It's going to be interesting to see if Trenches 2 (non EA) will sell better.

13. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Someone mentioned just a few posts back that it will be free for the first week, so I'm going to go right ahead and say no. No it won't.

14. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
    They're making it free for one week only so original buyers don't feel ripped off.

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I know, and that makes perfect logical sense.

But.
    Every news site is going to report on the story and how nice and thoughtful the developers are, to give away a game for free after their financial (or otherwise) troubles. Which will result in the vast majority of people getting the game for free.

Unless there's enough attractive IAP, they're going to make very little money. Maybe they could use the positive publicity though.

16. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
    They probably will still keep the IAP.

But the difference is that their IAP isn't that bad though. Your not forced at all to have to use IAP. Play the campaign to get coins which you can upgrade your troops with.

Its kinda like Kingdom Rush.

RR3 is much different and aggressive.

17. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    One problem with the previous reasoning I have is that the update path is integral to gaining or maintaining visibility, the App Store isn't fire and forget like retail has a tendency to be. I'm not saying your reasoning is wrong, but I am saying that it that was EA's method of working, then their ability is highly questionable. It's fairly prehistoric thinking and doomed in a high traffic/low visibility environment.

18. There aren't really all that many people that use apptrackers or forums like this for free apps, so while they will give a lot of free copies, if it is indeed a good game, it still has a chance to one day become a success.

But granted that is a big if. Well, looking forward to trying it, even though I probably own it already. ;)

19. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    They pulled R-Type?

20. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom

I'd like to point out that late December '11 to Jan '13 is little over a year, not 2!