How to promote the games?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MaximT, Feb 13, 2012.

1. MaximT

MaximT Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Hi guys!Please! Help! We want to release the game. It is currently under development. We are interested in how to promote it and get a large number of downloads. Probably, this topic has been discussed 100 times on the forum. Excuse me, but I do not speak the language very well. = (
    I would be grateful for your advice. Thank you.
    Regards

2. MaximT

MaximT Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Hey guys! :)

3. steyrboy

steyrboy Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Senior Technical Artist
    Coral Springs, FL
    Just browse through this forum, you'll see many posts about this topic.

4. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    more like about 10,000 times..

yes promotion is probably the most difficult aspect of iOS development, harder than actually coding and designing the app in the 1st place. In fact you should have that in mind "how can I market this" from a very early stage, and it absolutely should affect some of your design decisions.

If you have a lot of money - like several thousands of dollars - than promotion becomes much less of a headache; for example, you can hire a PR company to help you as they often have a lot of connections with the media and etc. Otherwise it's a long slog through the do-it-yourself world of trial and error. In this case, as has already been mentioned, you really need to read trough older posts on this forum (for starters) as it's probably one of the #1 most-discussed topics, and a lot has been said in all regards.

This much I will say - it's quite difficult, requires a lot of patience, and can be extremely humbling. You might end up burning through a couple of entire projects before you get a solid lead of how to handle promotion, but if you have patience and can persist, then it will come easier. Good luck!

5. aTunaSashimi

aTunaSashimi New Member

Oct 29, 2011
    One of the worst things to do as a new developer without marketing knowledge is to put it off until the ending, thinking its one of the easier things to do. I've helped launch a game into the mobile phone market recently, and having no marketing experience caused us to pretty much flop right out the gate. It was one of those "It cant be that difficult" sort of things, so we tried to make it all happen right near the end of our development process.

If what anyone else says is true, you can almost never start marketing too early.

6. aviadbd

aviadbd Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    Maybe there should be a sticky for the best few discussions about this topic...?

7. digitalfrogmkt

digitalfrogmkt Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Game developer
    Seoul, South Korea
    Yeah, sticky thread for this topic is needed.
    I also would like to know some of the best places to promote game apps.