Assassins Creed 2: Overrated?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Fruho, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    I believe (and this will be greeted with roars of outrage) that Assassins Creed 2 is right now one of the most overrated games on the app store. In myind, it simply a hack-and-slash with stunning graphics. The only test is how quickly you can mash the attack button. There is not depth: simply move, kill a guy, jump a platform, run, kill some more guys, run some more, and jump a couple more platforms. I am sure that many of you disagree with me, so tell me: what makes Assassins Creed 2 special? Why is it more than a jazzed up hack and slash? What justifies it's price tag? Or do you agree with me that it is incredibly overrated? Looking forward to quite a debate :)

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I have to agree. Don't flame me too much plz.

3. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    I agree. Worst part is, it's just not the same game! Your 2D In a 3D enviroment, cool it's Mario with a sword on ectasy...fun game :p

4. Bag of Awesome

Bag of Awesome Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I'm enjoying it, but I have to agree it is fairly overrated.

5. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I don't think it's overrated. I like it because it's extremely fast paced, has great animations, a ton of replayability, and an interesting story.

6. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I really hate to agree with this, but I think I have to. I don't think it's a bad game. I really enjoyed the gameplay actually, as well as the visuals, and the zooming in during a kill. However, you're right, it's a 3d game compressed to a 2d sidescroller, and it doesn't do the title justice. I'm not hating on this game, but I do think that its getting a bit more praise then it deserves. But remember, this is all just my opinion.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well, for one, it's not a hack and slash game.

In any event, this is a pointless thread. People who love the game will disagree with you; people who don't will agree. No debate.

8. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Its a good game, doesn't run as smoothly as I hoped on my Touch. There are a lot of areas that could use improvement..I'm about 40% through and have yet to unlock a new weapon..So I'm thinking there aren't any new weapons. In which case that leaves you with the basic 1-2-3 combo, and counters. The moves aren't anywhere varied enough, I'm already tired of the same things over & over. The vast amount of stealth missions is also fairly annoying..

EDIT:

But don't get me wrong, it is a good game.

9. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    From what I'm gathering, it doesn't live up to the "Assassins Creed" name. But as a side scroller, is it any good?

10. xdanleex

xdanleex Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Procrastinating
    LA,CA
    overrated, but not as much as when gta came out :D

11. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    agreed with everything there except "ton of replayability"....what replayability? U wanna mash tge attack button in the same sequence AGAIN? For me, there is absolutely no replayAbility

12. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Wanted posters, paintings, finding and unlocking challenges, getting a perfect rating on missions...

13. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    #13 5duc29, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    The story in the game has a lot of depth. The game works well for the idevice. If this game is overrated, then GTA:CW and COD:Zombies are both equally overrated as ACII. Why do you guys compare 2D and 3D all the time? What makes 3D so special? I like all I think this is good as a 2.5D, this game should be praised. If you look at GTA, it's more pointless than any other games of any platform (and it's still great ;)) but I prefer ACII. The game is more interesting than GTA.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    The game is all about stealth and finesse. If you don't enjoy that, then it's all "1-2-3 combo, and counters."

15. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    I know that people who love this game will disagree with me. But then there mist be a reason they love this game right? I want to know that reason.

Also, with all respect, how is this not a hack and slash? U have 4 bottoms: a slider to move, a jump button, a heavy attack, and a light attack. With controls like that, what else could it be other than a hack and slash? Unless u r suggesting there is a strategy in killing ur enemies? Cuz I missed that strategy then. All I did was hit the attack button as quick as possible

16. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Are you serious you never used counter kills?

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Do you even own the game? The way you describe is unrecognizable to me.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    There are no heavy attack/light attack buttons. That's AC1.

19. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    Good point. I didn't think of that. Still, it gets monotonous, because the only way to acheive all the things u mentioned is by repeatedly hitting the attack button. I'm not saying it's a bad game. I'm saying it's overrated. A lot

20. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Wow I think he bought Gameloft's retarded version and thought it was AC2.