iPhone (or any smartphone in general) and their plans

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by TiltMyTouch, Apr 12, 2012.

1. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Obviously I'm a couple ages behind and I need to upgrade to a smartphone. However, I simply just don't want those $60 plans. Not that I can't afford it, but it'd be a waste of money as I won't be using all those minutes. From what I've checked, the cheapest plans for the iPhone (whether it be 4, 4S, or 3GS) is $60 with ATT, and that's with just 300MB data, but 450 minutes. I probably only need 100 minutes a month with 1G of data, but the smallest plans that can accommodate these needs that I've seen are 200 minutes and 2G data. Is it possible for me to get an iPhone with 200mins/2G data? If not, what are some other comparable smartphones with this kind of plan?

Also, another poster said they were planning on getting an iPhone 4S as a pay as you go phone. Is this possible?

2. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    Nobody at all? I'm sure some of you have smartphones, particularly Apple ones, around here!

3. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I'd look at Sprint if I were you. I have AT&T with 450 minutes and 3 GB for about $100 a month, which is ridiculous. I plan on switching as soon as my contract is up, unless they can offer a better price, especially since I've been with them for almost 4 years now.

I do have unlimited texting though, which shoots it up even more. My college discount doesn't take very much off either.

I did get free unlimited mobile to mobile recently too, but I don't know if that's for everyone or only "loyal customers".

It depends on your needs really though, if data and messaging isn't important, AT&T might be okay, otherwise your gonna be paying an arm and a leg for those features.

4. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Any carrier is going to have the same plans for all their smart phones, be it iOS or Android. Sprint is the cheapest, but they also have some of the slowest 3G around. If that doesn't bother you, check them out.

5. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    Yikes. Do you know what the cheapest plan you can get for an iPhone is?

Doesn't Sprint only have unlimited plans for the iPhone, which are much costlier?

6. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure on Sprints plans, but I know they're the only ones with unlimited data anymore, which is a selling point for me.

Cheapest iPhone plan for AT&T is $79 for 450 minutes plus a minimum like $15 data plan. That doesn't include messaging though, and that's less than a gig of data.

I don't know about Verizon.

I'm happy with AT&T in every department except for price and data options.

But like I said, it depends on what you need.

7. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    Well like I said, I'm looking for no more than 200mins/2GB data.

I know ATT has a Senior 200 minute plan for 29.99 and then a 300MB plan for 20, which would be 49.99 in total. Not only would I need to get a relative in for to get the senior plan, I'd might as well get ATT's cheapest iPhone plan at 59.99.

I really wish Virgin Mobile would get the iPhone in the US already, as their $35/mo plan is definitely a perfect fit for me. 300 mins with unlimited everything else is sweet.

8. Liam2010

Liam2010 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2010
    lol

hahaha i pay $20 a month and i get $500 of calls/ texts and 5gb internet :)

9. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    for me, texts are useless. most all my close friends have smart phones, so i only use minutes and data plans, and i suspect that within a year from now i will probably only use data so minutes will also not be used.

so my suggestion is get the best data plan possible. i have a 2GB plan and i use about half of it per month, but it grows every month.

10. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    Looks like T-Mobile has a $30/mo plan with unlimited web and texts and 100 mins. This is the perfect plan for me, and they have it with the new Nokia Lumia. Problem is, apparently you can't access HTTPS websites like Yahoo, Gmail, and Facebook?! Is this true?

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    You can use a pay-as-you-go service with an iPhone. My wife is using my hand-me-down 3GS with a pay-as-you-go sim card and it works perfectly. I just took the sim card from her dumb phone and put it in the iPhone and it works perfectly and it's supported by the OS - it pops up a message after each call telling you how many minutes you have left. Mind you she does not get data service, but you do have WiFi. They also offer contract-less plans that work just like normal ones, and can have data, but they aren't particularly cheap.

Of course AT&T doesn't offer pay-as-you-go for iPHones out of the box. I'm pretty sure you are stuck with a 2 year normal contract if you buy a new iPhone, but if you buy a used one that is off contract, you should be able to pop in a pay-as-you-go sim card and use it. But note that while the 3GS uses a normal sized sim card, but iPhone 4 and 4s use the smaller size card.

12. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

That was a problem when they debuted that plan, it no longer seems to be an issue from what friends of mine say. You can always post a question on their FB wall or give a call.

13. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    Don't you have to "cut" those sim cards so that it fits in the iPhone? I remember reading something like that in an article.

In addition, what's the deal with data then? Do you guys still need to purchase a monthly data plan, or is there pay-as-you go data as well?

14. bngo16

bngo16 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Straigh talk

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but has anyone tried StraightTalk's plans with the iPhone before?

I heard they just started a "Bring Your Own Phone" program, where you can use the iPhone on their network. I've read reviews (most of them recent) where people claim that you can use their unlimited talk/web/messaging plan for $45 per 30 days (cheaper if you play the $500 per 365 days) with the iPhone 4 and 4s (or older devices).

My contract is about to end in a couple of months, so I plan on porting my number and making the switch if the claims are true.

TiltMyTouch,
    Right now I'm on ATT and I pay close to $110 a month for 2 lines ($50 for one phone + $10 for the additional line + $15 for iPhone data + $15 for dumbphone data +$5 for 200/month texting + $10 for 1000/month texting + tax + overage fees (if I go over, which I do sometimes) for 450 mins and 200 mb a month and 200 texting for my iPhone and unlimited web and 1000 texting for the dumbphone).

If StraightTalk does work with the iPhone, I would suggest getting an iPhone off ebay. My fiancee wanted an iPhone, so I actually just won a bid recently (via sniping) for a used, in good condition iPhone 4 32 gb for $275 dollars (since I didn't want to be stuck with a 2-year contract again). I hope this helps.

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    If you get a no-contract monthly X minutes plan, you can now get a data plan as well, from what I've read. If you get a pay as go plan where you buy minutes that last some period of time and can buy minute refills, they do not offer a data plan for that I don't believe. That's what my wife has. It is, however, very inexpensive if you don't make a lot of calls. For my wife I pay $100 for a years worth of minutes (AT&T). A years worth for her. In fact more than years worth and the minutes roll over as long as you add more minutes before the year is up. If you talk on your phone a lot it could prove not as thrifty.

16. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    Corporate/Military/EDU FAN discount? With 20% corp discount, knocks a decent chunk out, compensates for taxes/regulatory fees anyway.