Marketing Tips?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by feedtank, Dec 5, 2012.

1. feedtank

feedtank Well-Known Member

A friend and I have been working an a game for just over a year - we've put a LOT of effort into it. It's going to be in the store one week from today. I'd like to say we're pretty good artist-designer-programmers, but don't have much of a clue when it comes to marketing. We've spent a lot of time on the trailer, screenshots and the like, but beyond just posting on forums and submitting to blogs I'm not too sure what else to do. Any have suggestions?

Here is a trailer and screenshots for reference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

2. angryfrodo

angryfrodo Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Use the social media... facebook, twitter, pinterest, instagram, reddit, 9gag. Try guest posts on android/iphone blogs.

Is it free?

3. feedtank

Thanks angry frodo. We've got the facebook and twitters covered. Also did reddit (IndieGaming), which helped a bit. I'll check out 9gag. Been meaning to hit up pinterest, but haven't yet. Good tips.

The game is free... which includes the first 10 levels. The next 40 are an IAP. Hopefully that will help things.

4. Z444

Z444 New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    App Marketing

Looks like a fun game!!!

www.appepic.com has great promotion options for apps, maybe you can get your new game reviewed and posted on their sites and social media pages (just $50!) this way you can tap into an already existing following and fanbase. They also offer custom campaigns not on their site, had to contact for info.

Good luck! ;)

5. feedtank

Thanks! By the way, you might want to fix that link on your homepage, where it says "developers click here." "Click here" is a broken link.

6. pat3ck

pat3ck Active Member

7. Reza

Reza Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Software Developer.
    Mountain View
    My response is always, "Make a great game first." It looks like you guys have already done that. This looks very polished and professional, good job.

The trailer's first thirty second is twenty seconds too long in my opinion. I would even venture as far as saying cut out the whole beginning and get to the game as soon as possible. I can see what you're trying to do with the poking thing and how it's applicable to your game, it's cute but you have 4-5 seconds before you lose your audience. You gotta hook them as soon as possible and getting to the game is the best way in my opinion.

I really like the double touch trampoline creation mechanism. It's clever and looks like a lot of fun. Focus on that as much as possible for your marketing. That's what separates you from all other cute bouncy animal games on the App Store.

I would also say that 10 levels for free is too much. I'm not sure how long it would take someone to finish a level on your game but from my experience you want to give them a taste, anything more takes away from making a sale. Then again I don't know how long your levels are and what would be a 'taste'.

That's all I can think of right now but I think you have a hit on your hands. Good luck!

8. igalic

igalic Member

Nov 17, 2009
    iOS developer
    Singapore
    I agree about the trailer. It's a cool idea, but if I didn't find the trailer on this forum, I'd just close the video far before I got to gameplay. Overall video length is good, but if you consider the double-finger poking important for the trailer, try interleaving it with actual gameplay, instead of having that 30s intro where I'm wondering what this all is about. The game looks cool, play that card first.

9. feedtank

Thanks Reza! I very much appreciate the considered response, and compliments.

I also hear ya about the first 20-30 seconds of the trailer. We spent a fair amount of time getting that footage and really like the idea, so there's no way we're going to nix it completely. We understand it's not going to appeal to everyone, and that it's not your standard game trailer. Responses to the trailer seem to fall into two categories... people either love it, or think the beginning is too long / unnecessary. We're definitely trying to focus on the double-touch thing.

Having said all that, we've got a new (release) version of the trailer that cuts 7 seconds off the live action intro, uses different in-game footage (a bit more action-centric), and adds one more in-game clip at the end. The entire length comes in under a minute now. Hopefully it's the best of both worlds: keeping the concept and appealing to shorter attention spans.

Also, the 10 levels are all quick. You should be able to get through all in one sitting. Mostly introducing elements and a bit of practice.

The game is going to be in the app store in two days, so we'll see what happens!

10. feedtank

Thanks. We were definitely going for "wondering what this all is about..." though it is a fine line between that and losing people. Hopefully our new version will address this to a certain extent.

11. feedtank

12. feedtank

13. feedtank

Just giving an update here. Numbers aren't good. Since release we've gone down to average about maybe 30-40 a day. We've gotten some really good reviews though:

----------
    “Pangolin is easily one of the best mobile games of the year.”
    – Short and Sweet Reviews

“Sonic the Hedgehog would be jealous... extremely well crafted and addictive.”
    – Indie Love

“Very different, very entertaining.”
    – JayIsGames

“A loveable iOS anti-platformer.”
    – Independent Gaming

“Simply beautiful... keeps you coming back.”
    – The Indie Developer
    ----------

We also have 32 / 32 five star ratings.

Anyway, we're still hoping it picks up. Note to indie devs. DO NOT release in December. Reviewers are completely overwhelmed.

14. That's 30 or 40 downloads or sales a day? What is your conversion rate Download/extra levels pack (if that's not too much to ask)?

Still pondering on the commercial model that I should use for my own upcoming game.

15. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    #15 ThreeCubes, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    I downloaded your game and left a review in the uk appstore (you did not seem to have any). The game is great and looks really polished and I love the zen sounds, very relaxing.

I do think you need to have an iPad version, most won't download a non iPad one. Oddly when it was up scaled it still looked amazing I soon forgot it even was up scaled.

You only seem to have 3 screenshots and one of them is your logo screen, I would put a few more in from later levels.

Sadly with 2D games it can be difficult to get the quality across in a small screen shot. There's loads of terrible 2D games that still look ok from there screen shots. If I was you I would run a competition to get people to make a youtube videos playing the game. Then maybe in your app description you can put search "youtube for gameplay vids".

Your trailer was amazing though, maybe you can be a slow burner and build up the support.

Sadly you did take a massive risk by not calling it "Pangolin vs Slenderman". Also it does not look like Minecraft at all so most people on the appstore won't even look at it, oh and there seems to be a lack of zombies. ;)

I really hope things pick up it's a great game, who did your publish your press release?

16. Patricia Curtis

Patricia Curtis Active Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Games Development
    Nottingham UK
  17. feedtank

That's per day. Currently, our conversion rate isn't that good. I think it's too early to tell, but the Lite / Paid model might be better.

We had a good day yesterday on reddit:
    http://bit.ly/pangolin-reddit-indie

Because of it we got ~350 downloads yesterday. Some progress.

18. feedtank

Thanks for the kind words and the review! I'm really glad to hear you like the trailer. It seems to be hit or miss. Some people complain there's not enough game footage, some like it. I like it.

We're making an iPad version soon.

I know... the lack of zombies could be a deal breaker. :)

Things seem to be getting better since reddit. Definitely hoping for a slow burner.

19. iPad version will definitely help I think - I know personally, having both devices, I don't buy any non universal games. And it'll give you another shot at getting a review once you have it implemented to boot with.

I'm following you on Twitter and cheering for you. Good luck!

20. Stephen Richard

Stephen Richard Active Member

Jan 2, 2013
    USA
    Promote your app successfully

You can host a free website regarding your Apps in Blogger, Tumblr, and Posterous and you can able to supply your link to everyone about your app. Use social buttons like Stumble Upon, Digg, Facebook Share, and ReTweet all on your website so that people can talk about your app.