Dead Space 3 has Microtransactions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by JBRUU, Jan 22, 2013.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #1 JBRUU, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
  2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    It was bound to happen now DLC(proper add ons) need to come to iOS

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Galaxy on Fire 2 had them...

4. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I know I just would like to see more games follow with added levels and story like that. Something like fallout 3 and batman.

5. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    #5 tygamr, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    Dead Space 1 & 2 had similar unlocks/DLC. You could buy weapon unlock packs as well as more powerful versions of the normal weapons, and there would be no restrictions on them (you didn't even have to buy them with in-game currency at the store they were completely free other than the money you paid). You could literally start a new game, buy all the packs, and you'd have all the good weapons.

Actually, upon further reading, I like this better, as it doesn't allow you to unlock every weapon from the get go. I find it funny- instead of putting cheat codes into games, they put DLC into games now.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    EA's CEO quite publicly stated that be believes free-to-play is the future for ALL games. It makes me want to batter him with his own wallet because current trends suggest that free-to-play -generally- means games are kinda shit. This seems like him taking the first step towards that prediction coming true.

7. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    As much as I'm all for someone's freedom to decide if they want to use their own money to buy an in-game item, I can't help but be infuriated when I read about it's inclusion. Especially a company like EA.

Guess I'm just going to have to start getting used to it.

8. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    <Rant>
    When Microsoft was announcing the 360 and showing it off in it's early days one of the key features was going to be microtransactions. I thought it would never fly and it's taken a while to really burrow deep into the console world but this has been something MS intended from the beginning of this gen. Unfortunately, like Reality TV, there are a bunch of people out there that buy this stuff as well as it's sister DLC. Publishers&devs cut console game content to later sell what is already on the disc as dlc/IAP (Capcom has been doing this). Most devs are smart enough to remove the content from the disc... but still it's just disgusting IMO. It's part of why I stopped being a console gamer. It's bad enough buying a $1 app that is buggy... but to buy a $60 game that you need to spend another $30 or whatever on to get all the DLC and stuff... and the game has bugs... well... it's not worth it at all to me. Add in that Nintendo did the IAP/DLC with New Super Mario Bros 2... and it helped turn me away from modern handhelds. Forget that they barely get any game releases worth the price tag... but now even Nintendo published 3DS games aren't safe from the IAP infestation in the gaming industry.
    </Rant>