TBS Games (advice)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ludka33, May 25, 2013.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    This is a real iOS oldie from GameLoft, but as far as I remember not a bad one:

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/rogue-planet/id337568038?mt=8

There's also a lite to try.

Just wanted to post it for the record.

And there's more, iirc:

Time of Heroes
    Medieval Battlefields
    Tactica
    Hero Academy
    Frontline Tactics
    Outwitters

But you should really try:

Final Fantasy Tactics! That's the stuff you need, I guess. If you haven't played this: go for it.

There are two other good and huge SRPGs, but I can't remember the names at the moment. They are like Final Fantasy Tactics.

2. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Haha! I'm an old man here. Played FFT way back when on my old PlayStation when it first came out. Although, my love for Tactics games started with Shining Force (which I played on my Sega Genesis when THAT first came out :)

Very little out there has measured up to Shining Force for me. Nostalgia FTW.

3. ludka33

Jan 12, 2013
    Found Time of Heroes to be disappointing. It was too slow, even for a fan of slow games. The graphics were great, the story seemed good. It was just so slow as to be almost unplayable.

Unfortunate, really. There was a lot of polish there.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #24 undeadcow, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
    World to Conquer is worth looking into; it's got a grand political plot and a good variety of unit classes. The Pantheon Cycle: Shrouded Aspect is based on celtic lore but hinted subsequent intallments seem unlikely. There's also Trouble In Tin Town; which has a silly plot about toys fighting.
    Mysterious Castle is mainly roguelike world exploration without a solid plot. The game mechanics are interesting but it likely does not match your preference for plot/character.

5. ludka33

Jan 12, 2013
    Undeadcow. You are my hero. Thank you for all the great suggestions. Thanks to everyone else, too for posting suggestions. I'm playing Kingturn and Dungeon Crawlers right now. Will be looking at all other suggestions, too. Top of my list seems World to Conquer. Have a ton of research to do now! It's a nice problem to have. :)

Edit: any word on whether the makers of Partia have enough cash to work on a sequel?

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #26 undeadcow, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
    If you enjoy Kingturn, Dungeon Crawlers, or any other games be sure to post in that game's discussion thread. I'll be curiois to hear your impressions. Unfortunately too often quality turn based strategy games (like World to Conquer) get overlooked.
    I doubt there will be more Partia; I think the developers have been publically cynical about low sales. ...But Partia was the result of a failed Kickstarter campaign and they carried on anyway so if that is a reflection of their passion for making games maybe they'll continue just for the sport of it. Hopefully we see more from the makers of Partia; talk about hidden gems, Partia is a great but too often ignored TBS.

Edit: The Partia app story description is pretty jaded; here's a quote:

7. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Spectral Souls and Blazing Souls Accelate.

Those two might just hit the spot.