Good computer for 3d animation and visual effects

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by SJP99, Jul 20, 2010.

1. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    OKay..im starting to really like 3d animation and art...but with my current computer it can take well over an hour to render a frame...so i think instead of a laptop im going to get a desktop..so i have decided to save up my money a little longer and get a good one..I want a PC..macs are overpriced...so any suggestions...my budget for the computer is somewhere in the area of 1000 dollars and whatever extra stuff i need...so any suggestions?

2. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
  3. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    There isn't really any specific desktop I can think of... ASUS is a fairly reliable brand, but I'd mostly look at the specs. If you want real speed, find a good desktop with an i7 processor and 4 to 8 GB RAM, a 500 GB 7200 rpm HD so there's enough space for your creations, and a high-pixel-density display so you can spot small details.

Of course, I don't really have any experience in the 3D animation area (yet), so others might have better suggestions than I.

4. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    iMac + Wacom Tablet + $$$$

5. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    I've heard that building your own computer is cheaper and better suites to your needs than pre made ones.

6. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    I actually found it's a little easier working in 3D with a mouse because you don't have a click wheel on the pen/touch. Plus, there are a lot of shortcuts that are easier on a key oar and mouse. Although for 2D a wacom is amazing.

I have like 3 computers to set up a small little render farm :)

7. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    11th dimension
    Somebody recommended this one to me.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Rattler/

it alot more powerful than my current computer...plus i have some computers that i could always hook up into a render farm...Macs are way too overpriced...and the CPU is more important than the video card..but i really need a new computer though..and i also need a computer desk..office chair...monitor

8. vbxz47

vbxz47 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Ohio
    personally I'd get an imac but I agree with kcur

9. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    11th dimension
    nooo...MAc are overpriced

10. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Commodore 64.

11. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    11th dimension
    so...any other suggestions?

12. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

1) Don't skimp on the display. It's the single most important thing for graphics work. Totally ignore all the sales crap about pixel response times, and focus on the viewing angle and color reproduction of the panel. If you can afford it, find an IPS, PVA or S-PVA panel, and steer clear of any that are based on TN technology. You may need to do a bit of research to find a good one, but supposedly Dell has some good models. HP 24" panels have gotten good reviews as well, but I can't recommend one personally after buying them to the office - the colors are totally over-saturated, and the panel lacks proper controls for adjusting them. Even using a Spyder Pro for calibrating the display left us with really unsatisfactory results.

2) For graphics, stick with Nvidia. Pretty much any graphics card for the past five years has sufficient performance to run Maya, Max etc. so you won't really see benefit from investing in a top-of-the line model. Even a low-end graphics card like Nvidia's 9400GT will run a 3D program and Photoshop just fine. To play it safe, anything upward from Nvidia's old 9600GT will not be a limiting factor for your learning. The reason I recommend Nvidia is that their drivers have always been more reliable for 3D programs than Intel's or Ati's, for reference, I've been using Maya since version 1.0 :)

3) It's not a bad idea to make sure you've got sufficient RAM in your computer. Photoshop loves RAM, and 3D softwares can make use of it if you start rendering heavy scenes. You can get started with 2GB, 4GB is probably safe and not too expensive these days, 8GB gives you headroom but requires you to run a 64-bit OS.

4) A Wacom Intuos tablet is Photoshop's best friend. It's less relevant for 3D, but the programs do have some brush-based tools that are intuitive to use with a tablet.

5) Any modern CPU is fast enough. Pentium III at 1GHz was fast enough for modeling, animating and rendering nice animations. You'll probably get a decent AMD or Intel CPU anyway, and both provide ample performance for learning. If your renders take too long, you're simply doing them wrong :)

Finally, a word of warning... learning to do 3D on a computer that does anything you tell it to is risky, because you may learn bad habits and skip on the basics. If your renders are taking too long, it may actually be that you do not need a new computer at all, but instead need to re-examine your workflow.

A large part of 3D art is about learning to do things as lightly as possible - for example, making low-poly meshes that have only the needed polygons to articulate the shape, knowing you can always smooth the mesh and add a displacement map later. Jumping head-first into Z-brush or other detail-painting program can be roughly compared to climbing butt-first up a tree.

I don't know how much of my advice is redundant with regards to your current level of expertise, but here's hoping there's something useful in this post.

13. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    11th dimension
    what!? im not quite sure that is right!! Im rendering some art work and its taking over an hour to render! And i read the entire yafaray documentation so im petty sure im doing it right....im not sure what you where making but im gonna completly ingore that advice and go for an i7 875K CPU......considering all the rendering for 3d animation is done by the CPU...sorry bout that. ALL your other advice was good ;)

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Sure you're not just a million polygons over the necessary amount? :p

15. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    11th dimension
    well...photon mapping is a very cpu intensive task.

16. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Exactly my point: throwing CPU cycles at the problem when the issue is more about examining the workflow and the tools necessary to do the work.

I have never used yafaray, so I can't speak for its production-readiness or speed, but there are a number of things that can be a problem in this particular case. Perhaps you've gone overboard with your ray counts, ray bounces or sample amounts? Maybe you've set up too high anti-aliasing? Perhaps you've set your mesh subdivisions to something ridiculous that creates sub-pixel sized polygons? It really can be a number of things, and you don't learn how to do things right by solving the problem with a hardware upgrade. People have been doing incredible renders for the past 10+ years now, and they've always had to work within their hardware limitations.

Ultimately you don't even need to use global illumination techniques if your visual eye allows you to approximate the desired look with direct light sources.

To re-iterate, it's important to start from the basics and learn them well. There's no point in doing a million polygon scene and choking a renderer with super-high global illumination settings if you haven't yet accomplished a scene with only a thousand polygons that has a coordinated palette with balanced composition and framing.

As said, I don't know your level of expertise or artistic ability, so filter the advice however you see fit. But I do know that if your tools are too good, they compensate for a lot of mistakes that simply won't cut it once you start doing professional work and there is both a visual goal and a frame time budget :)

17. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    11th dimension
    #17 SJP99, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
    Its only a few hundred poloygons.....i like the setings i have..and after doing some research..i know its not taking anylonger than it should

nevermind...i just need suggestions for a good computer