My Top 20 Board Game Conversions to iOS

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sizzlakalonji, Jan 25, 2013.

1. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Looking forward to your list!

2. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Ok, so I've started playing Le Harve quite a bit more. It was a bit intimidating at first (still is a bit), but I feel like I'm starting to get a handle on it a bit more. This one could easily pop onto my list soon.

3. battletictactoepro

Jan 29, 2013
    Is Le Harve easy to learn ? How is it compare to caylus or puerto rico ?

4. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Honestly, no. It's been a bit of a challenge, but I don't think it's any harder than Puerto Rico or Caylus. They're all a bit tough to pick up in my opinion.

5. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It looks like Big Daddy's games are on sale today. I really hope this is in anticipation of the release of Eclipse. Probably just wishful thinking though.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Le Havre is hard to learn. I went through the tutorial and then just set it aside. Maybe some day I'll try to learn it, but I have a feeling it would be much easier to learn in the real world with friends explaining it with the real thing.

7. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I agree. I'm still trying to get my mind wrapped around it. I've gotten to the point where I'm not losing by as many points, but I'm still always losing.

8. battletictactoepro

Jan 29, 2013
    I guess the difficulty to learn Le Havre is the same like Caylus. It took me 1 week and 5 real games (with real people) to really understand how caylus is played.

9. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Caylus is certainly tough too. I think Le Havre has a bit more going on though.

10. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I wish Will Wheaton would just play these games on Tabletop. Just watching them play is usually good enough to get me started.

11. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    So I just stumbled onto this title at BGG. The physical version is ranked in the top 60, but I wasn't familiar with it. The app is very bare bones and not cheap, but I bought it. I haven't quite figured it out yet, but if you're familiar with the physical version, it might be of interest.

Imperial

Javelin Sdn Bhd
    IPad version of the brilliant Imperial board game designed by Mac Gerdts and published by PD-Verlag. This game is design…
    $9.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    IPad version of the brilliant Imperial board game designed by Mac Gerdts and published by PD-Verlag. This game is designed for pass-and-play for one to six human or AI players. Online asynchronous multiplayer is being developed, and will require iOS 10. Please send any bug reports and suggestions to [email protected] so we may improve the game in future updates. Also leaving good reviews / scores will enable us to continue the development of the game. Look for the game on boardgamegeek.com for info on where to obtain a copy of the physical board game, and to get in touch with other players. P.S: There is an auto-save functionality in the game. In the unfortunate event of a crash, please report to us on the email above, then load a previous turn and try again. Have fun!
    Information
    Seller:Javelin Sdn Bhd
    Genre:Board, Strategy
    Release:Sep 30, 2011
    Updated:Mar 23, 2018
    Version:4.0
    Size:17.2 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (2)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

iTunes link:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imperial/id382679047?mt=8&uo=4

BGG link:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24181/imperial

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Great thread, thanks for making it!!!
    Already reading each other lists!

Many of the games mentioned are my favorites too (Battle of the Bulge, Elder signs, Ascension, Carcassonne...) but I must confess Lost Cities is now completely ruling my world.
    I absolutely LOVE it.

13. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    How did you find Imperial so far? I think there was a thread about it and the players seemed somewhat negative about the developer...

Were they right or was it another case of haters having to hate?

14. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It's hard to say at this point, but it seems really rudimentary. The implementation seems to leave a bit to be desired. The game may be good, but I haven't quite figured it out yet.

15. NuMystic

NuMystic Member

Nov 19, 2009
    #75 NuMystic, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    First I want to let those with concerns know that Puerto Rico's in game tutorial is exceptionally well done so it is actually easier to learn than many "simpler" games that have inferior tutorials.

It will take you a while to get good as far as strategy and scoring well goes, but it's not hard to understand how to play the game itself. If you have no Euro game experience then you can find any of the countless tutorials or basic strategy guides out there via Google. Since the port is an exact replica of the tabletop game everything you read/watch will apply to the iOS port.

As far as games that haven't already been well covered here:

Rivals for Catan - Excellent 2P version of Settlers that many prefer over the original.

Sixes - iOS version of Qwirkle that is actually superior to the official port. Solid Abstract w/ Async

Razzia! - Recent port of card game variant of Knizia's Ra

Take it Easy - Solid port of a light puzzler that works with unlimited players in it's physical edition

Ubongo - Another well done port of an incredibly popular German puzzler that launched an entire franchise

Knizia's Money - Light quick auction game that is perfect mobile as a play anywhere filler

Lords of Waterdeep - Rock solid port of incredibly popular worker placement game with D&D theme.

Warhammer Quest - Stellar port of a super light RPG style board game, but I personally found it quite "samey" after just a few hours. Very very well regarded though and my feeling on that is definitely in the minority

Zooloretto - Faithful and well crafted port of the tabletop game'

Hey That's My Fish - Do not let the kiddie theme fool you. This is a VICIOUS take-that type game when played multiplayer, but has a well done puzzle/campaign mode with competent AI for solo play as well.

Blokus - Excellent abstract game worth getting despite the slightly clunky interface (this is one of the earliest entries in the modern board game port area and it shows)

Kahuna - Excellent port of well regarded tabletop game

Disc Drivin' - iOS PitchCar that works astoundingly well as a dexterity game in the digital realm allowing for boosts that could never exist in the physical. Great async and lots of players so auto-match works great.

Tanto Cuore - Basically Dominion with a racy japanimaid theme that people either love or hate. Comes from PlayDek who did Ascension so you know the interface is rock solid.

Ingenious - Thinky Knizia abstract

Tricky Chicken - Port of a physical card game that's gone by a number of names, Drive, Tricky Chicken, and most recently Call to Glory. Gameplay is really quite fun and addictive despite the cheesy graphic design.

Haven't had time to play yet but these all have lots of buzz too:

Space Hulk
    Suburbia
    Quarriors

And to echo above recommendations EVERYONE with even a remote interest in digital board games should own these as they set the bar for outstanding interface design and solid online multiplayer:

Ticket to Ride
    Carcassonne
    Ascension
    Neuroshima Hex
    Small World 2

The above four are SO well done that countless people (myself included) actually play the digital versions a great deal even if the physical versions had long since lost their charm, or in the case of Ascension had never charmed to begin with.

For any of the games with online multiplayer (including all of those mentioned by others earlier) my username is the same as here… NuMystic.

16. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    #76 Mene, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    Great thread, nice to see the App Store isn't totally filled with trash freemium, timer games and other FotM crap.

Phantom Leader should be well up there, I have many board games. Eclipse, Small World, Cafe International, Ticket to Ride, Scotland Yard, Waterdeep etc etc and Phantom Leader imo is the most fun of the lot.

17. max-o

max-o Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    I'm Interested in more Knizia. I already have Lost Cities and Ingenious and want to add to that.

I'm wondering which the most accessible / polished / supported game is. Tigris & Euphrates, Qin, Battleline, Samurai, and Through the Desert All look cool, roughly in that order, but I could get more than one if there are multiple standouts. I've read bad things about crashes in some of the games, as well as the AI Cheating in Qin and T/E. I primarily play offline but if I got good at one I would get online and get my butt kicked by some better players.

This seemed like the thread to ask. Any suggestions?

18. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Was 'The Jam' pulled?

I can't find it at all.

19. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I have the iOS boardgames you listed above. Among them, I found Through the Desert the most accessible, followed by Qin. Battleline is alright, but not as good as Lost Islands. Samurai as well as Tigris and Euphrates were just boring...

Have you tried Cafe International? It is a blast if you had watched "Mind Your Language".

20. max-o

max-o Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    #80 max-o, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

I will check out Lost Islands, Qin, TTD, and Cafe International. Also, I'm realizing I go in the most for abstract games, and LOVE Pathogen, so if you have anything to recommend there I'd look into it too.

Edit: Couldn't Find Lost Islands in App Store