Movies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Brazilian Rider, May 17, 2010.

1. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    Sherlock Holmes was fun. for a film i was fairly disinterested in beforehand (my gf is a holmes fan) I actually rather enjoyed it.

saw Mission Impossible the other night. again, generally not interested but my ears perked up when I heard that brad bird directed it (iron giant, the incredibles, ratatouille <- some excellent track record there!) The movie was fine, I think I've just "had enough" of the sort and all the situations, though set up to be quite suspenseful, are never really that exciting because you always know the good guys will win no matter what :( Come up with something different!

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Felt the same way about both films. Well, I liked the first SH movie though. But yeah, MI4 is just another action flick built on the common winning formula. Not exactly sure why the ratings from critics are so much higher than what the first three films from the series received.

3. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    I was thinking the same thing....what else could you name it?

4. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

Batman Begins - It's a stupid title for a movie but the sequels should follow the same naming scheme.

The Dark Knight - No connection to the previous title unless you know that Batman is also known as The Dark Knight. I know that's not much of a stretch but there's nothing in the name that ties it explicitly to the previous film.

The Dark Knight Ends - This is the end of a trilogy where the first installment has "begins" in the name.

Saw The Darkest Hour in 3D the other day, what a horrible film. Apparently Faraday cages actually enhance radio signals instead of blocking them and microwaves can easily be converted into particle beam rifles to fight invisible pokemon from space here to steal all our precious nickel deposits. :rolleyes:

5. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

so instead of The Dark Knight Rises, you want The Dark Knight Ends.................

I dont even know how to react to that.

6. Spamcan

No, I want it to be titled Batman 3: Robin 'N Me.

7. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    Sherlock Holmes: the classic example of prejudice - I was going to see it with this idea "pfff...it will be a farce", changed my idea after watching it of course: "wow...loved it!" :rolleyes:

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Saw War Horse, for a film based on a children's book about a boy looking for a horse in WW1 it is an absurd mix if masterful cinematic technique and silly nonsensical melodrama. It plays out like a bad Saturday Night Live parody but everyone is serious. I don't know how much of it is tongue-in-cheek or not but it's worth seeing for the mash-up of clashing narrative and visual style (like those fake movie trailers that make Star Wars look like a romantic comedy).

Girl With A Dragon Tattoo was disappointing, it was well directed but vacant. Most tension was shattered by girl just showing up and nonchalantly solving the problem with superhuman accuracy to the point of annoyance. The only reason to see it is the character drama, which was fleeting for most of the film, but superior to the foreign language edition. I am sure the sequel remake will be better. I think only Fincher could have pulled this slop off as well as it came out.

9. TobiasP

TobiasP Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Online Editor @ Fishlabs
    Hamburg / Germany
    Last movie I saw was "Priest". I liked the trailer a lot but found the movie to be OK yet not that special or memorable. All in all I'd say it's a nice action flick in a rather cool endtime/western setting, but not exactly a must-see.

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #1390 backtothis, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    Going to catch Beauty and the Beast 3D and then Contraband or Tin Tin tomorrow. Probably the last time I'm going to the theaters until Spring Break. Hope they're good! Only seen Moneyball, Immortals, J.Edgar, The Muppets, Sherlock Holmes 2, Ghost Protocol, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo since summer ended. In any case, 2012 is going to be epic for films.

11. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Can't say the 3D in Beauty and the Beast 3D was worth seeing. Same movie as the film I own on freaking VHS otherwise. Kids probably make these 3D rehashes extremely profitable for Disney though. It's a good movie, of course, but the same movie was good over a decade ago.

Ended up seeing Contraband afterwards. Pretty much a straight action flick just like Ghost Protocol. A popcorn film with a drug trade premise. Tons of swearing and violence as expected. Serves its purpose well otherwise if that's what you're looking for.

On a different note, my girlfriend and I ate a whole Peking duck along with soup and buns by ourselves. That was probably more fun than these movies were today, lol.

Won't be posting here again until probably Spring Break. Should definitely be some more films to talk about by then.

12. Spamcan

The phenomenon of people paying $13 or more to see an old movie in 3D is mindblowing to me. Old Disney movies I can sort of understand but I've got to wonder how well The Phantom Menace and Titanic will do. I just read all the Pixar movies are going to be rereleased in 3D as well starting with Finding Nemo later this year. Personally I don't have a problem with them rereleasing old films I just wish they were in 2D and didn't cost an arm and a leg. I go to a scifi film marathon that's over 12 hours long every year and it barely costs more then that.

13. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    The Lion King was awesome on 3D. I think it was worth the money and the purchase of a 3D blu-ray ;) Finding Nemo is the only other 3D that I am very interested in watching in theaters as well as purchasing the 3D movie.. Titanic also looked very good in the 3D trailers, surprisingly.

I might watch Chronicle, John Carter and The Hunger Games before Spring Break.

14. kearnel

kearnel Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    I watched real steel earlier, was expecting it to be ok, but really enjoyed it, better than I thought, rocky with robots, lol

15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Redboxed Columbiana today with the gf. Another "lol" action film from Fall 2011. Girl assassins, awesome.

16. Danielfang7

Danielfang7 Well-Known Member

inception was good, but its good to watch some oldies sometimes

17. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #1398 backtothis, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    Oh right, Golden Globes tonight! Definitely have to watch that. Possibly saw 50+ films in theaters throughout just 2011. Starts in 20 minutes.

Edit: Wow, that was a pretty awful evening, lol. Can't say I'm happy with many of the choices. Seriously, what's up with The Artist and The Descendants sweeping the evening..

19. Plebeian

Plebeian Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Chicago
    I was fine with most of the choices except for Tintin winning over Rango. I'm glad A Separation and Midnight in Paris won something.

20. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Well tintin was the best so I don't see why it shouldn't win :p

But seriously it deserved to win and was a very good film.