My App Got Rejected: Help Me Figure Out Why

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by kenlem, May 19, 2009.

1. kenlem

kenlem Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    My App got rejected but I'm not sure why. It's a simple bobblehead that speaks when you touch the red button. It does say the word "Pimp!" but I didn't think that was too harsh.

I got this reply from Apple:
    Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why this got rejected and what I can change to get it approved? I have video of the app at
    http://digitalcodeworks.com/

Thanks,
    Ken

[​IMG]

2. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    maybe because it's a black guy? perhaps apple was scared of being accused of racism.

3. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    The word "pimp"? I think you solved this yourself.

4. kenlem

kenlem Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    I'll take that out and resubmit tonight. What about "The Damn! Show" connection? Is damn too strong?

5. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

So all this app does is say a few words when you click it?

6. kenlem

kenlem Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    #6 kenlem, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  7. It's hard to say what exactly they object to; the word "Damn!" is a distinct possibility, despite its mildness as an expletive. However, a significant part of me wants to blame both the combination of "Pimp!" with the fact that it's a black man, and the fact that you can bat the head around. I realize it's a bobblehead and that's the point, but you can take your pick of racial stereotyping (a black pimp) or just plain racism ("smack the black guy") as other potential reasons Apple may have rejected it. They may only be racist inferences that were not even remotely intended to be taken that way, but Apple tends to err on the side of caution at the slightest whiff of potential controversy. (Sexual innuendo notwithstanding.)

8. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    The app sounds really rubbish anyway. IMHO the app store is full of this kind of rubbish already. Why don't you try and make a simple but compelling game that will get you sales and respect from the community ? Maybe team up with someone else and try and design a half decent game rather than trying to cash in with this throw away rubbish. All the best anyway !

9. kenlem

kenlem Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    #9 kenlem, May 19, 2009
    The app is exactly what the customer wanted to promote their YouTube channel and DVD's. It may be rubbish to you, but there are Damn! Show fans that may like it.

10. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009

From now on , would you try and please be a bit more forthcoming? Stop holding back , you will feel better :)

11. kenlem

kenlem Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Wait... when you say rubbish do you mean it's offensive in some way or the app doesn't have enough funcationality?

I think the presentation and artwork are good.

12. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    #12 Myrobotwillneverdie, May 19, 2009
    this guy signs up to TA for advice and to contribute to the community, and the first thing you do is tell him his app is garbage? If Youre not satisfied with the app stores offerings, either don't purchase or develop your own game!

I can't believe you would even be so disrespectful to him, in the thread he started for his app. That's cold-blooded

13. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    Cool ! No problem. I stand corrected. This isn't popular in the Uk as far as i'm aware ? I shouldn't mouth off without being aware of the situation. I'm not mad at you or your app - i'm just sick of all the poor novelty apps on the app store.

14. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    He didn't want your opinion, and your opinion is invalid anyway.

15. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    Why is my opinion invalid ? I do agree he didn't want it though.

16. kenlem

kenlem Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Not a problem really. Anytime you post work publicly, you have to expect someone may not like it.

To get back on topic, I'm still trying to figure out why the app was rejected. I'm going to remove the audio clip with the word "Pimp" and remove Damn! Show from the graphics and resubmit.

I was more sort of wondering if Apple was uncomfortable with my portrayal of a real person. If that's the case, there isn't much I can do.

17. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    I'm thinking this is a possibility too. Also the word "damn" is definitely questionable by Apple's standards. The biggest problem, IMO, is the "Pimp" reference ;)

18. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    F*** apple and their censorship. I can't wait till that get's lifted, if it ever does.

My only assumption is that he is Black (Or African-American to be f***ing politically correct) and says words like "Pimp" or involves the word "damn". Sounds something pussified apple would do.

19. kenlem

kenlem Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    I don't really blame Apple. I understand why they have these rules. I'm just trying figure out how to abide by them.

I removed the word Damn from the app and description, removed 2 audio clips "Pimp" and "Holy Spirit" and changed one of the loading screens. I have resubmitted the app. If they reject this version, then the problem has to be with the depiction of the character. I don't see any way to solve that.

20. Pheebau

Pheebau Well-Known Member

Please let us know of happens, either way ;) Cheers