Dragon Fantasy (SNES style turn based RPG)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Jun 10, 2011.

1. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    That looks more 8-bit NES style than SNES. NES RPG's a bit too hardcore for me, so if this game is going for the same sort of difficulty that the original Dragon Warrior/Final Fantasy games had, I'll pass. Too little story and too much trial and error for me.

2. riggysmalls

riggysmalls Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Oregon
    looks fun to me :)

ipad only? :_(

3. Adam @ Muteki Corp

Adam @ Muteki Corp Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    It is definitely 8-bit style visually, I based the game very heavily on my first love as a child - Dragon Warrior 1. But luckily, I played the rest of the games in the series, and noticed that they got easier :) This game is definitely not a grind-fest like the early NES RPGs. In fact, if you watch the video, the guy even criticizes the game for having too much story :)

Really, the game is visually inspired by the NES RPGs, but the gameplay and story is SNES-era all the way. Lufia and Earthbound are huge, huge, huge influences to me, I tried to get a little of everything in there.

4. Adam @ Muteki Corp

Jul 1, 2009
    Oh, and it's running on all models of iPhone and iPad so far - other devices coming soon thanks to the magic of our cross-platform engine :)

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Always good to see more turn based RPGs on the App Store; is there an expected release date on this one?

6. Adam @ Muteki Corp

Jul 1, 2009
    We don't have a solid release date yet, but the game is getting pretty close to completion, so... soon!

7. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Looks great! Loved the Biggs and Wedge reference...

8. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    looks great!! hopefully you'll put in a bonus dungeon like in Lufia!!
    that would be an awesome game by itself!

9. Tikicobra

Tikicobra Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Okay, I'll bite.

I'm not the biggest fan of old-school RPG's, but this looks too awesome for me not to at least try out.

10. cwboyer

cwboyer Member

Jun 11, 2011
    The Biggs/Wedge references got some grins out of me. Looks cool so far! I like your control scheme, also. Old style games with these newfangled touch interfaces don't always control ideally, but this looks good.

11. Bryan @ Muteki Corp

Bryan @ Muteki Corp Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    President, The Muteki Corporation
    #12 Bryan @ Muteki Corp, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
    Making the controls work right is one of our top priorities. We're all sick of fun looking games that are impossible to play...

And I'm impressed by the number of people commenting on the Biggs/Wedge reference - well done all!

And to add a little pretty to this thread...a few more screenshots!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Oh, another Lufia fan. Most people I talk to don't even recognize the name, but Lufia II was definitely one of my favorite SNES RPGs. Good luck on your game.

13. FinalGamerAC

FinalGamerAC Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Ohio
    Easily my most excited for iOS game. I do have a question though, are there multiple party members or is it just Ogden? It seems like it is just one party member based on the UI.

14. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    finally dragon warrior returns people forgot that games were better before they improved the graphics and watered down the gameplay it's like final fantasy I stopped playing after 7

15. Adam @ Muteki Corp

Jul 1, 2009
    Yeah, there's only the one party member in Dragon Fantasy. I wanted to keep things simple like the original Dragon Warrior. Plus, there's just something totally bad ass about killing a bunch of monsters solo :)

16. Adam @ Muteki Corp

Jul 1, 2009
    Totally agree - I'm trying to bring back some good old fashioned dungeon design, none of this "turn left, cutscene, turn left, cutscene, turn left, boss" kind of stuff that so many games have today.

17. jaaron

jaaron Active Member

Sep 30, 2010
    The original Dragon Warrior is one of my favorite games. Thank you for doing this right!

18. jasonc506

jasonc506 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Looks like it has a lot of potential. Earthbound is still one of my favorite games ever.

19. FinalGamerAC

FinalGamerAC Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Ohio
    @ Adam @ Muteki Corp
    That's cool I was just curious, I'm still down for the game. If you could answer another question, what kind of length do you think the game will deliver?