Real Racing 3 - By Firemonkeys - Coming Feb 2013

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by killercow, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
  2. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#1082 Sanuku, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    Over the last couple of Years I just go used to the TA Reviews where the Team are playing the same Build as we all are playing so when you pick up a Freemium Game and read ahead of that a Preview/Review on the TA Frontpage you know very well that the Team literally played the same Game for Hours/Days and probably sometimes maybe even Weeks if they had the chance to do so and know what they are talking about.

Since Real Racing 3 is a Freemium Game I was simple shocked that some Media Outlets are using modded Builds for their Reviews instead of doing it the TA - Way.

Still, Eli is right about that the rant has absolutely no right to be here on the Forum and, even if it does piss me of like hell that nowadays obviously as the picture has proven already many don`t take as much work as the TA Crew with their Reviews, that the Standards that I got used to here just don`t apply to other Members of the Press.

If I`m guilty of something then of believing that the High Standards of TA would also be found somewhere else. Clearly I was wrong about that :(

3. I would jump off the tallest bridge in the world into a pit dug 2km under ground filled with live electric fences, barbed wire, cacti, swords, broken glass and saws, and then land into a pit of water with live, bloodthirsty pirahnas swimming around, and the pit will then collapse and I will fall through a similar style of pit into a pool of hydrochloric acid

4. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Lets hope TA plays or their review show more of the game then a modded build. We are all mad we have a right to be. They knew it was F2P yet they didn't tell us then they are sending modded builds for cheap reasons. All go to a low blow for one of the most intacipated games of the year.

5. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #1085 Rip73, Feb 12, 2013
    Really? Didn't anybody actually read it?

"But I can’t totally give it a pass as the device I was playing on had millions in cash and thousands of gold coins. That doesn’t give me a good feel for how fast you earn money or how fast you are forced to spend it. We’ll have more when we get a chance to try it on our devices"

"We hope to have a promo code soon ........ When we get one, we’ll have more in-depth info"
    http://www.148apps.com/news/real-racing-3-hands-video/

They played a previously loaded display build, not a review build. At least get those facts right. They did say they were doubtful until they play a real build.

Nor was it a review.

It was a preview build at a press event which I assumed you'd actually understand before ranting on other sites and compare them negatively to TA. Press events are specifically designed for promotion. It's in reviews (any review) that you get to the crux of it.

I'm a bit disappointed to be honest, I did think much more highly of your opinions and knowledge than that particular reactionary post displays.

It's especially disappointing considering 148apps.com has actually been the most honest and upfront about this particular case (including ta) and actually broke the notion first publicly in an article from jan 30th in the third last paragraph
    http://www.148apps.com/news/real-racing-3-history-app-store-icon/

And then in more detail in a dedicated article on February 7th
    http://www.148apps.com/news/real-racing-3-approved-apple-free-play/

A lot longer before any other mainstream media mentioned it.

6. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Actually I had hopped that till now an TA Plays would somehow, somewhere pop up where Eli & Brad would once and for all speak freely about how good or if it would be that case since we still don`t know anything at all about it, how worse it is if it comes to the iAP but as you can see nowadays Publisher/Developer seem to don`t prefer if someone speaks the thruth so I guess we might see a TA Plays tomorrow after the Press Conference from EA or a few Days later ahead of the Launch of the Game.

Again as I have stated it already yesterday:

This hole thing wouldn`t be such an huge thing if someone had actually taken the time to explain to use how the iAP works in the Game with showing it with an simple InGame Video. Instead everyone is shipping around that topic and it`s therefor hard to predict what might be wrong with it if nobody wants to speak about it.

7. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    So would it not make sense then to wait for the explanation on IAPs rather than everyone jump to inaccurate conclusions and judgments?

8. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Seem that we both thought about someone else in a different Way as it is.

As far as I can tell you I believe that the Firemonkeys & EA should have announced that the Game was going to be Freemium tomorrow/today during the Press Conference and not ahead of it because at the same time they had then also the opportunity to explain how it was done and what it does mean in the longer run.

Instead announcing it almost two Days ealier without providing some more details about it the result was inaccurate conclusions and judgments. Whom you gonna blame for that?

It would had been so easy for them to first shock everyone and then slowly gain their trust back at the same time, even during the same Event. Why didn`t they used that momentum? Whom did it help that they talked with the Press about it ahead of it? I can`t answer you that Question since I`m not an Marketing Guru but if someone could explain to us that then maybe even I could understand what their Strategy was or what course they are following.

9. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    If the game turns out to be great then all other racers coming to ios will have to be freemium just to compete...

10. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#1090 Sanuku, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013
  11. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Yeah just saw it pop up after the IGN One. Perfect Timing i guess.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    However this may seem to be good, i'd still prefer it bought than free. I wouldnt have to worry about anything if i bought at premium price. Then again, i do enjoy a handful of freemiums too. Just sayin.

13. plastic_student

plastic_student Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    implications

What worries me, is that by this whole FREEMIUM stuff, the market changes so drastically.

First of all primary consumer group of grown up, money earning people is exchanged to people with low impulse control ability, what means kids and adolescence - and specifically not the smartest ones. Ten years ago, who was able to expect that the industry was funded mainly by smurf berry and - sorry I have to laugh because its a racing simulation - GOLD COINS.

This implicates a shift to game mechanics that are more suited to this consumer group, means big effects with small and shallow gameplay.

But RR3 shows us another possible 'innovation':
    The adaption of A.I.-behaviour to increase revenue, so I think in RR3 we will see sooner or later (per update maybe) much more and unrealistically aggressive, 'moneykamikaze' doing cash bots in the driving seats...

But do not worry, let the publishers aim at the unexperienced and stupid consumers, there are to many of them to resist in doing so anyway.

Indi-deveropers will save us, like they always did.

14. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    The fact remains: here is a system which deliberately creates an inconvenience for the player, for the sole purpose of making the player pay money to remove this inconvenience.

Supporting such a system, as a player, is just madness.

15. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#1096 killercow, Feb 12, 2013
  16. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Ign confirmed that realtime multiplayer won't be in the game at launch...

17. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm glad that at least it'll be freemium instead of premium with freemium features hidden beneath the surface or patched in with an update. Now I don't have to give EA and Firemonkeys a single cent, but I can still reward them with an honest review when the game releases. And I'll be sure to update my review with every update :)

It's better to move on and discover greater indie gems to spend your money on, like Finding Teddy.

18. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Its an odd IAP choice that makes me worry how the dev can make money. Sure at the start it will be an inconvenience but after a while if your Ferrari is banged up you're just going to hop into your Lambo.

Casual players will drop the game after a week or two as they do with any game and the hardcore fans will have garages full of cars, and the devs will not be seeing any money from them. There simply has to be more iap's than mentioned in the second article.

19. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    #1100 killy billy, Feb 12, 2013
    Taken from the IGN article:
    "A dented bumper might install in 2 minutes, with a rebuilt engine requiring up to 3 hours."

Taken from the Toucharcade frontpage article:
    "You'll also face wait times when installing upgrades or unlocking new cars, both of which seem to take longer as more advanced upgrades and vehicles become available."

Omg, i hate this kind of crap!! :(