Rooftop Escape (previously "Surviving After Suicide")

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by antony.thai, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

#1 antony.thai, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
    I don't know if the title makes any sense to you, but it's one of the upcoming game (with retro artwork) from Colorbox Studio, should be out anytime soon.

Some rough concept picture and I will keep you guy posted.

[​IMG]

2. phazer89

phazer89 Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting... Maybe it's a game where you place obstacles or make the player bounce between different objects so that he lands without dying? XD

3. antony.thai

It's almost the idea dude, I invested a lot of time to make it feel like you are seriously falling, not like other falling games which is slowly but we still have a way to well handle the control. However, it's really challenging.

4. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    ooh! You've got my interest!

5. Cool sketch, looking forward to this one.

6. stonery

stonery Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    WOWW! Another appealing game after one single life, I believe it will be an creative game and want to know the detailed gamedesign.

7. phazer89

Kind of reminds me of something, but I can't quite place my finger on it... Oh well, looking forward to the game. :D

8. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Death Note?

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I like dark humor more than most but this crosses over into tasteless. There's no sardonic irony or in-your-face over the top social commentary like in Karoshi; this just looks like filth. It's a little too blunt that without more depth just seems obnoxious. It almost seems like the only selling point is suicide, and I'll admit to being jaded but that alone is no fun. This thread proves developers can post whatever crap they want and Touch Arcade members will cheer them on; but I'd be concerned about marketing to the general population on this one. Don't let me steal your thunder but if you want constructive criticism then consider...

10. phazer89

#10 phazer89, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
    Not really... More like doing stuff to foil someone's actions, or suicide attempts in this case. Now that you mention it, it was probably some manga though.

You may be right, or you may be wrong, but considering the only thing we see here is a concept art, that might be a little too harsh. Your points are valid though, just that whether it applies to this game remains to be seen...

11. antony.thai

Nope, I welcome you comment actually, beside that we won't do crappy game just for money so far, and definitely won't run after some other famous games for money, SAS is created base on the suicide idea and give everyone a warning especially someone is thinking of this stupid action. :D

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Have to agree with 'undeadcow'.

I can imagine this game will get a lot of attention solely due to the name. If kids were thinking of doing the unthinkable and committing suicide a game like this wont make them change their mind and give them a 'warning'. Think theres far better ways to do that than a message from an iOS game.

These 'falling' games i've seen are pretty good (Quite like the look of that one where youre falling down a huge lift shaft) but to throw suicide into the title and 'surviving' i just think its OTT

But hey thats my opinion, might be totally wrong but i can imagine Apple will get a few complaints once this title is released

13. lomaelli

lomaelli Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Your mind is just full of imagination, but anyway it makes sense.:D

14. lomaelli

lomaelli Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    This gamedesign is special, but the name is just...a little bit... well i can't tell what, but if the name can just be changed, it'll get more appealing i think.

15. antony.thai

I think it's now more people that don't like the game, do you have any other name that cool? Just suggest us please! :p

16. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in your imagination
    You don't think such a depressing title is gonna turn some people away?

17. robiow

robiow Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    This game will prevent as many suicides as it encourages; None.

Keep the title, it's curious and interesting, as is the content. I'm sick of rehashes of the same game genre, it's refreshing to see someone being different and pushing the boundaries than yet another 'doodle jump' or 'angry birds' clone.

People are judging it without knowing any details behind the game, other than screenshots and the title. We can all take the moral high ground about this and that, but meh... People are responsible for their own actions.

Thank you developer for designing something intriguing and different

18. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in your imagination
    Uhhhhhh who's gonna buy this game if they have suicide on their minds? Lol.

19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #19 undeadcow, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
    You guys are missing the point; no one is rehasing 1980s public service announcements. Obviously no one will kill themself or be stopped by a suicide themed game. The point is that this presentation so far is too drab that people looking for old fashioned video game escapism will not be attracted to it. The name "Surviving After Suicide" is just too blunt it comes across as tasteless. I fail to understand the developer's ideas about how something this direct will be attracting to gamers. Suicide is a delicate subject but can be handled well if there is some comedic device or whimsical twist to it. Really, who wants to play a game about some emo teen falling off a building?

20. antony.thai

Your note is really interesting to me, however, do you have any idea with a better name? We're brainstorming for that.