what are some of the freemium titles/models you think were done well?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ackmondual, Jul 27, 2015.

1. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    And also, do let us know how you feel about them in general. I've met some folks who loathe freemium models, but did end up playing some they ended up liking.

Me when Plants Vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time first came out, it was a horrid experience. You needed to get Keys to open doors on the world map to get to powerups. The Keys were randomly dropped and became a grindfest. I'm shocked they never gave us the option to just pay real money for these keys!:eek:

I also stopped playing b/c a "glitch" caused me to lose progress. I went from halfway of world 2 (Pirate Seas) to going back to 3/4 of the way through the first one (Ancient Egypt). I didn't want to replay all of that again, and the way it was aggravating.

IIRC, years later, they changed it so 1 Key was guaranteed given at the midway of each world, which could be used to unlock the next world/zone. You're still free to spend real $$ to unlock the next world earlier if you wanted to. Some of the premium plants cost money, but I just play without spending anything is if the game were designed around that. They're not necessary to play the game. You could also spend real $$ to get the last iterations of powerups (e.g. 8th Seed slot, 5th Plant Food slot, +25% Sun when digging up a plant, and starting each level with +25 sun), which is a good way to pay the devs for something "tangible". You can watch ads for in-game coins. I don't do this anymore now that I have enough.

I tried Castlestorm the past 2 weeks. Managed to get through halfway of the 2nd campaign. The grindfest of getting gems was getting to me here. I suppose I used to have the patience to do this sort of thing... go online for daily rewards, view ads, and I even purchased the VIP Gamer IAP for weekly deals and to remove ads, but when I realized the Steam/PC version does away with Gems, Pearls, and has the benefit of 1920x1000-something resolution on a 26" screen. Yes, it costs $15 for the game + 2 extra campaign modes, but given how well the keyboard + mouse controls also work, better video and sound, and how the devs get more of my $$ this way (without having Apple get a higher cut), I haven't looked back. The Steam/PC version will most definitely be my definitive version.

Robot Unicorn Attack 2. Very repetitive. Literally, as in there was only 1 level to start off with, and the layout wasn't even randomized. I've read reviews and comments how some folks are at level.. whatever the max is, maxed out another profile, and are thinking about starting a 4th one or something! I'm glad the game's got takers, but I deleted it within a few days. Also, the in-game currency you spend for boosts/powerups were only one time. It took me a while to realize they weren't permanent! :mad:

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dungeon Quest

Freemium but boy oh boy its 'so light'. So light i made an IAP to make sure the devs got some money as i felt guilty. Doesnt seem to be a paywall, played a lot of levels without thinking 'i should buy an IAP.....' etc. Its a great game anyway but top marks to the devs for not pushing IAP after IAP at you.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Temple Run 2
    Adventure Beaks
    Dead Effect
    The End Run
    Tap Titans
    Hammer's Quest
    Cardinal Quest 2
    Phoenix HD

4. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    Harthstone
    World of tanks blitz

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
  6. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Injustice Gods Among Us, I've played over a year now, never spent a dime. Always new content every month and no ads. Love it.

7. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
  8. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Also the Hitman Go model in which you can purchase iAPs to unlock early the chapters.

9. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Lego Star Wars, easily my favorite type; Free to start, pay to play the rest! Just a single fee too!

10. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Forgot to add... Where's My Water 2. They actually did away with it! To access extra level packs, you pay $1 each for them, which I gladly did. I'm sure there wasn't much $$ to be made, but the energy/time meter was just really a turn off!