iPad Dungeon Raid (by Fireflame Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by freedog, Nov 15, 2010.

1. terelin

terelin Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2010
    ah.. thanks for the explanation!

2. Hebug

Hebug Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Preliminary observations indicate that "Boost Health" does not double gains from "Skill Elixir".

Would it be more interesting if it were "Boost Potion" and would double the effects from XP potions as well as explosive potions (+1 radius? damages specials?) in addition to the normal 2x health gain from potions? Might make taking "Explosive Potion" more interesting.

3. Zaraf

Zaraf Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Yeah, as it is Boost Health Potions is kind of a useless skill. Usually people have high enough Luck that they don't need too many potions to max out.

I'm wondering if bonus XP multiplier that you can get as an upgrade to your equipment affects the exp gained via Skill (XP) Potions?

4. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    My unscientific impression is yes, but nothing to explicitly verify that.

Yesterday, from my wife upon her returning from a two-minute trip to the bathroom, and seeing me playing Dungeon Raid:

"*Sigh*... You're playing THAT game again? You're really addicted. You have a problem."

Hello, my name is Paul. I am a Dungeon Raid addict.

(ps -- Did she really want me to wait and watch TV for two minutes without playing? Jeez.)

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I disagree here-- on harder difficulties, health potions become a lot rarer...so it's much better to get tons of HP from just a few potions than to wait for tons of them to collect.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hehe, my wife has often called my iPod Touch (and now my iPhone 4) my "second wife" :)

Of course since getting an iPhone she Facebooks everywhere, and I got her hooked on Carcassonne...

7. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    DEV Suggestion- Rewording please

Hi,

Huge fan of this game. I think I've logged like 60 hours in so far (and no end in sight). Love the update, too!

I JUST noticed that when I was leveling up and selecting "+Defense" that I was actually improving the "repair" function. In fact when I choose a "Defense" upgrade it means something entirely different (max armor in this case). I have been playing for a long time and only just realized I wasn't doing what I intended! (partly my fault, admittedly)

Would you please go through your upgrade/purchase/level-up wording to make this more clear and uniform? "Improving defense" should mean only one thing.

Thank you!
    Keep up the good work!

Shumby

8. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I don't agree with the latter statement, but I do agree I can't really see myself ever using one of my few slots for Boost Health. For me, the main reason is that I get most of my HP from life leech.

I should know this, but I think you don't get any bonuses for any of the collect skills (Skill Elixir, Heal, Treasure, Repair, Scavenge, Fireball), because you aren't making a chain. It should be easy to check this (if you look you could just see whether the word "Bonus" is appearing or not).

9. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I take it she was watching TV before and after the trip to the bathroom? That sounds like addictive behavior, to me.

10. breadicus

breadicus Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Achievement bugs with Open Feint & Game Center

I tried digging back through the posts to see if anyone else had reported these, but didn't see any, but if I missed them, please point me to the post :)

I play on a 3GS and an iPad 1 (recently changed the iPad 1 Game Center account to my girlfriend, and I got an iPad 2 now with my Game Center account), and will alternate between them now and then during games (if this makes a difference, which it shouldn't). The iPad 1 was used for a few weeks on my GC account after the update, and a few achievements were made on it before switching accounts. When I started playing on the iPad 2 with no progression unlocked I started to notice that I wasn't getting achievements unlocked anymore, though my progression was unlocking no problem.

I have had an Open Feint account forever, and never thought anything of it since Game Center is supported, which I prefer. When the latest update was released and I started to get achievement pop-ups from Open Feint the first thing I noticed was a considerable slowdown when this happens (it may just be my 3GS). I didn't mind since I like to see active notifications of my actions as they pertain to various achievements.

Last night I started testing out what worked and what didn't for the achievements. I also purposefully allowed myself to be killed by poison for the "Poisoned" achievement, but never actually got the achievement on either GC or OF, multiple times (still don't have it). Since I was a Mage, my mortal enemy is "Unstable", so I allowed him to teleport me multiple times before getting the "Unforseen Consequences" achievement, but I didn't get it in GC, only in OF.

Also, I have killed many Hidden Shield Mimics, and have not received the "I See What You Did..." achievement :(

With all this going on, I decided to remove my OF account from my devices, and eliminate one of the variables. Now with OF gone there are no pop-ups when getting achievements, or ticks on achievements, which kind of sucks, and as far as I can tell most of the one-off achievements in GC that I hadn't gotten yet are functioning properly now, though regardless of what I do, or how many times I do it, I cannot get the "Poisoned" and "Unforeseen Consequences" achievements :( Also, all of the achievements I was ticking before removing OF: "Like Tears in the Rain", "Brave Brave Sir Robin", and "Pack Rat" have completely stopped ticking, and I cannot get them to update in Game Center.

Has anyone else had these issues?

Recap of issues in bullets:

- Open Feint pop-up framerate hit/slowdown
    - "Poisoned" and "Unforeseen Consequences" achievements not activating in Game Center
    - Death of Hidden Shield Mimic not providing "I See What You Did..." achievement in Game Center
    - After removing Open Feint, ticked achievements not ticking anymore

Request
    - Add pop-ups for Game Center achievements and achievement ticks (if Open Feint is not being used)

This may all have to do with Open Feint and Game Center not mixing well, but with the removal of Open Feint I expected those issues to be resolved, not exasperated :(

11. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    #1291 eflin, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    I never signed up for open feint and can confirm I never get any notice of achievements. I know I've done some of the ones people have mentioned but I don't know if the game recognizes that or not. I'll try checking game center when i get home tonight but either way I can verify there is no pop up message to alert you that you did something.

I also use and Ipad1 to play if it matters

EDIT: Checked out game center and most of my achievements were there. I play on the subway a lot and loose Internet occasionally so that's no surprise.

12. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I wish people would just support one or the other of Open Feint or Game Center, in my experience trying to mix both never works very well.

13. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Older devices don't support Game Center, this is why both are used quite a lot.

14. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Sure. This doesn't really respond to what I said. It is true that some devices don't support Game Center, and it is also true that I would prefer that game publishers pick one or the other.

15. Zaraf

Zaraf Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I think he's trying to say that devs usually do both to cater to both groups.

16. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #1296 Benegesserit, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
    Older devices need to simply be left out of the loop for a community platform then. People need to upgrade their devices. You can get a model 2 versions newer than the original iPhone for 1/6th of the cost.

It's like if games were being developed to still run on Windows 98. It's time to move on. You gotta leave people behind at some point. We really need ONE platform for an iDevice gaming network.

If someone can feed me accurate and reliable statistics showing that a strong % of consumers still carry devices not compatible with a FW version high enough to support Game Center then I'll take back what I said for now.

Even then, the people who cannot afford to upgrade their old $599 phone to a $99 phone that's only 2 years old likely aren't going to be able to afford buying "frivolous" things like games on the app store.

17. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Well, of course. I still think we are talking at cross purposes. I never said there aren't reasons to do both. I just said that for me the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. And if you're really worried about being available to everyone, obviously you can choose OF as your one choice, which is available to everyone.

18. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    New version 1.3.1 just showed up in my Updates. Minor changes and bug fixes.

19. fireflame

fireflame Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2010
    I'll have a look into this, but as far as progressive achievements not showing the cumulative progress and no GC achievement popups that's kind of out of my hands and I'm not sure why that's happening for GC when it's working correctly for OF :confused:

The problem with only using OF is that you don't get featured by Apple as a GC-enabled game, and a lot of people complain that you're using "outdated" technology even though OF is so much easier to develop for and feature-wise is far ahead of everything GC can do

20. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas

Oh no, don't get me started on this again, I have had this argument before.

First not everyone can afford the latest and greatest, I don't know if you knew this or not, but this economy sucks, alot of people don't have jobs.
    Second you said we should all go out and buy the 3GS (I'm guessing?) Ok that's fine, but in a year when that device no longer has support are you going to yell at us again?

Back on topic/