Apps - Do you update?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Gov, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Do you update your iPhone/iPod/iPad apps?
    It might sound like a strange question given Apple's easy "Update All" button plus automatic updates for iOS 7, but not everybody does. At least, I don't. I never update an app unless it's added a new feature or game level I want, or fixes a bug that I care about.
    I'm not a slacker -- okay, I'm not just a slacker -- I've had apps that worked perfectly in the past be totally ruined by a bad update, be it a horrible new feature or a really buggy release. So now I leave well enough alone and don't update until I have to.

Am I the in the minority here? Do all of you update religiously or are some of you more hesitant (or lazy!) like me? At the moment I have 11+ app updates pending for my iPhone 5 + more on my iTunes , how many do you have?

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    My record is 146 updates on my old iPod Touch 2g.

I update every so often, but not consistently. Just every once in a while I'll go into the "updates" screen and click on a couple at a time, then leave the rest for later.
    Currently, since my iPad is on iOS6 I've skipped all the iOS7 updates. As a result, the blinker says 40. Good thing you can turn it off on iOS7. :rolleyes:

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I used to update a lot less, due to having a slow connection. The icon badge always annoyed me though. Now I've got fast internet I update everything immediately and it takes a matter of seconds, but I still do it manually because I like to look through the notes. I've never had an app I care about properly ruined by an update... some have had bugs but it's never been a big deal for me to wait a couple of days for the inevitable fix.

4. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I don't trust updates much any longer. Not unless I'm very familiar with the dev and game to know an ad won't be sneaked under the old "bug issues" clause. I've been burnt a few times so leave well enough alone. Sometimes I do gamble (what I call it now) if new features, levels or fixed issues become available as you do.
    I have 137 updates labeled in red on my Touch which is quite annoying but better than crippled or ad ladened games. 62 updates are on the iPad4 although I've not as many games but at least the number won't show unless I'm within the store which is so unlike the red ribbons draped across the icons in my library of games when viewing from my pc. Why the need to be reminded of an update so obtrusively?

5. Used to update everything, but nowadays so many bait and switches or adding ads, that now I have to pick and choose. Sigh...

6. Mullet_Mcgee

Mullet_Mcgee Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Puppy
    Sand Zone
    #6 Mullet_Mcgee, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    I only do updates if they add levels, fix REAL legitimate bugs, add widescreen support, or if I'm forced to. Like everybody else, I feel like I can't trust updates... they always seem to add surprise advertisements, or other crap that completely ruins things.

Thankfully though, iOS 7 allows you to turn off Wi-Fi pretty easily. I have a whole folder dedicated to "ad-infected apps". Just a few simple swipes, and no more ads!

7. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Should I update Batman Arkham to the latest build? I've heard the new update introduces ads, this is when the game went free for a limited time recently.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I want to know what crappy games you guys are getting that always seem to end up having ads thrown in. I've bought a lot of iOS games over the years (less so recently, admittedly) but that's always been a rare occurrence for me. It's gonna make me sound like an elitist bastard, but maybe I just hone in on higher quality apps? For people to actually be put off from updating and have a badge number in the dozens or even hundreds... that's a lot of lowly developers you're supporting right there.

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    My badge of honor (shame?) record is only because many updates don't work on the ancient 2g.

It's not like EVERY update from the ~100+ has malicious intent. Most of the time I don't update simply when the update is "bug fixes" and the app is huge, or one I don't use that often.

Tofu Samurai is a fairly widespread example of going freemium. Dead Space has/had ads added in. It's not necessarily tiny developers that do this.

10. Emotive

Emotive Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Great White North
    I do because it annoys me if I don't.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Always always update, i do sometimes check the text to see what the update is (eg if they say 'we're moving to freemium') but even then i'll probably update

Cant believe people wont update, why ? 99% of the time you get bug fixes, more levels etc, i love seeing what updates i have everyday. Someone having a huge high number for updates is just as bad as the people who dont seem to believe in folders and have about 30 screens to scroll across as all the icons arent in folders !

I think overall people get too paranoid by not updating an app in case it ruins it for them ! Just press update !

12. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #12 september, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    I do generally but I'm actually with connector on this one, only been stung a couple of times (that I know of) but unless I trust the developer I'll see what the update actually is (didn't help with MW though).

Mushroom War, paid premium - update and you have a demo that you have to then pay to play what you already purchased
    Table Top Racing - Ads, since turned off but yeah, no thanks
    WIMP - Didn't make a difference to me as I had the HD version which they left alone, but SD version became ad supported

I'm sure there's others that I've yet to discover.

13. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I only update stuff that gives something extra like new levels or new features. I've not had any ads sneaked in, but then I play my games offline mostly so maybe there have been and I'm just not seeing them, I try to stay away from games that require a constant connection as unless it's multiplayer I don't see why I'd need to be connected. I'm new to all this malarkey though so there is prob a good reason.

I don't install bug fixes unless I've actually had problems with that app. I'm on a data plan so I leave my updates til the end of the current cycle, unless it's an app that I really really love. For updates over 50mb i wait til I'm at my mums and use her wifi every month or so. So if I don't have the allowance left I don't update.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I always, always update...no matter what. If an app gets messed with, it's gone. Deleted.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Same here, i've got sooooo many apps if there are some casualties along the way so be it !

16. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'm very suspicious of updates myself and in general if something is working for me I won't update it, used to be I'd hit update all every time now I very carefully pick and choose.

17. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I recently updated the original - Plants vs zombies. I thought great widescreen support! But also they snook an ad in for PvZ 2... I already own it!!! wish they gave FULL details on what was in the update.

18. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I get 5-10 updates a day on each of my devices, so I love the auto update.

I have the notifications turned on so I make a point of going and seeing what the updates were, but it's much better for me now.

19. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I tend to update on my device when there's one to be had. I do look over the notes to make sure it's worth updating. I've held off on updating massive file sizes and inferior versions before. I generally don't do updates via iTunes on my PC.

20. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I value the games I have more than to blindly update and throw anything aside that turns it into garbage. There's nothing bad in preserving games as they are.