Which iCade should I get?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Pocketnova, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    They all look really good, but I was wondering which one should I get? The iCade 8-bitty and core seem to be very closely priced (on Amazon, at least). Any feedback would be awesome! Thanks!

2. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    icade core if you want a portable unit etc.

icade cabinet if you want a classic box look for a game room, bar etc...run mame 1,000's of arcade games etc

3. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Thanks for the advise!

4. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    #4 laxking97, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    Yeah, skip the 8-bitty. It looks really nice and probably feels really good, but the button mapping are just bad. Most games don't support it.

Edit: Here's the comparison http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2479182&postcount=8

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    The 8 bitty i thought was superb for MAME, apart from that the mapping was strange.

To me the original large iCade is the best option (if you have mame) as it turns your device into a classic 80's style arcade cabinet

6. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    I would say the core, because it still feels like an arcade machine, but its much more mobile. I have three iCades, and the core is the most used. The iCade mobile has good mapping, but the buttons are not clicky enough. Most of the time it isn't very responsive. 8-bitty (which I don't have, just going off what I've heard) feels really good, is responsive, and in my opinion looks really nice, but the mapping is awful. You can't go wrong with the original or the core though. Core is better for me though because I can play it wherever I want to on my lap.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I'd recommend the Core, as while the original iCade is great, sometimes I wish I just had the controller part (which is essentially what the Core is.)

I'm sure I will pick up an 8-bitty at some point, but as pretty much everyone has said, the button mapping doesn't work well for many games.

8. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I have the original iCade. It's pretty good looking. The buttons are clicky like the old arcade machines, and when you put your iPad inside the cabinet it'll actually bump up the sound just a bit. But it's huge, so make sure you have enough space for it. This is a device you put stationary on your desk, and it looks very cool. But after a while, I decided that I want a mobile controller.

I thought of the iCade Core, but it's too similar to the original iCade minus the cabinet. iCade Mobile is specifically designed for the iPhone and iPod, and I want something for the iPad. iCade 8-bitty looks awesome, but the mapping is pretty awful from what I read.

So just today, I ordered the Nyko Playpad Pro from Amazon. It's an Android controller, but it has an iCade Mode. There are plenty of reviews for it as an Android controller, but no one on the internet mentions how it maps for iCade games! So when I receive this, I'll update my post to tell you everyone how the mappings work. :)

9. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    #9 Pocketnova, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    Thanks again everyone, really helpful info. I think I'll get the core, b/c I love the look of the cabinet edition, but I want it more for the play, not the look.

10. Reprint from HDMI thread

I highly recommend the icade core for its portability, correct button mapping unlike the 8 bitty, and ease of use with hdmi tv.

I'm looking forward to hearing some feedback on your new Icade core joystick with your hdmi projector system. There aren't too many people yet like you and I with a full console ios system with bluetooth joysticks, and it is cool to hear that you have a projector, wish I had one.

Kinda funny how I kinda shifted into your camp - the icade thread, and you have shifted into our camp - the hdmi thread. Opposite approaches to where we are, but nonetheless, the same great exact place - a full blown console with bigscreen and bluetooth joysticks. Totally sexy.

But yes, the icade core's strength is it's portability, ease of use, and ability to use in your lap with or without your ipad. It makes a wonderful bluetooth joystick, yesterday, I was playing a bit on my xbox, and I kept thinking, man, my icade core is so much better than an xbox controller.

Can you believe that??? I would have been shocked to hear me saying that 6 months ago, but it is true. My icade core joystick is so much funner to play than my xbox controller. The feel, size, stick, buttons, do not compare on the xbox controller.

Plus I like how it fits on my lap without the ipad in it. It is light, and fun, just like an old arcade. I can also play with my ipad on a tripod on a table, then put the icade core in my lap. It is sexy.

Bah, forget the xbox, playing with it really made me realize how wonderful an Icade Core is. Played one hour of Metal Slug X, and man, that joystick and buttons are heavenly. But my finger hurt from the button mashing though hehe.

And the best part is, it is portable, take it to the library, take it to your friends house, let your friends borrow it, play it while on the john!

Attached Files: