Universal control pad

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Aventador, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #1 Aventador, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
    I am sorry if this has been discussed somewhere already, but I did use search to no avail.

As most of my gaming needs have been switched to iOS and as it's now my main / only gaming system I am looking for a way to enhance it more.Even though I got used to touch controls, I still prefer "solid chunk of plastic/metal as controller, and looking at my old SNES and PSX controller this need for controller while playing intensifies even more.
    So now, I did some research into popular ones.Most people own iCade stuff if I'm correct, but I'm not that much appealed by idea to turn iPad into an full-fledged arcade machine.On the other hand , there is gamer duo ( which has high price and is compatible only with Gameloft games) and 8 bitty ( which looks old school which I like, but then again is not compatible with all games). I also found iControlPad 2 from Kickstarter page that seems to be compatible with iOS and all apps on it ( can someone verify that ?).

I would appreciate if people from forum , that have much more experience with different kinds of controllers for iOS , would post their opinions / reviews of all controllers they owned or just compile a list of all available controllers for iOS.
    Thank you.

2. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I'd be intersted in a universal (one that works with all games) control pad. Had an iCade for awhile, but got tired of taking it out of it's leather cover every time and going back and forth into the iCade for the relatively small number of games, so I got rid of it.

3. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    There's many games compatible with iCade added all the time.
    If you're into emulation, the Mame app "Gridlee" litterally adds many hundreds of games to the list, as Gridlee is iCade compatible.

The 8-Bitty uses iCade Bluetooth configuration, as does most of the Bluetooth controllers.

Gameloft's controller is a joke, though.
    Way too expensive, and only compatible with their own games, of which only a handful is really any good.

If one is to choose a controller, any iCade compatible controller have the most support by developers.

I have an iCade, and very soon an 8-Bitty for when I'm on the go, and I'm very happy with the amount of games compatible, especially since Gridlee emulates so many Mame games.

The upcoming iMpulse controller looks awesome too. It's so small it can sit on your key ring, and used iCade controls too.

4. workingman

workingman Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Maintanence
    Ma
    Just my opinion but the only good controller would be the duo gamer because it works for current gen games but like said only gameloft games and not too many of them. Every other controller works only emulated games which for me absolutely suck. Emulated games remind me of when I was a kid back in the 70s and its now 2013 and I want real games (anything that's good on the AppStore that's not emulated)
    I'm most likely going to make the shift to the project shield for my primary gaming needs as much as I love iphone gaming because touch controls with never compete with an actual controller. There are games that do fit the touch controls perfectly but I want a controller that works with every game available

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA

Ain't gonna happen.

6. workingman

Aug 9, 2012
    Maintanence
    Ma
    I know but can't a man dream
    I have high hopes for the (project shield) but will probably be let down the same way I was with the ps vita

7. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #7 Aventador, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

This would also sum up my thoughts.As I already mentioned, I'm not into iCade as all games it supports are old Atari classics that just aren't appealing to me as I'm from SNES / Sega genesis geneation.One the other hand,there are all MAME compatible games for it , but only ones that interest me are already available in App Store as separate games.
    I Definetly want controller to support "newer games" as they come, because limited support doesn't mean much to me.Even if it supports more popular games, there will always be some hidden gem indie game I want to play with it.

My ideal controller would be one that, after unboxing it and connect it via Bluetooth to iOS, supports all apps and can be soft programmed/ keys remapped easily.

Looks interesting , but I still like full-size controller more, this one doesn't look ergonomic or to be used for longer game marathons on the way.

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Shield...well depends on the amount of post launch support.

My guess is it's DOA.

9. workingman

Aug 9, 2012
    Maintanence
    Ma
    Your most likely right but if the price is right I can imagine a lot of people jumping on board and if that happens maybe the devs would support it as there would be a demand for it

10. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark

I isn't true that the iCade only supports old Atari titles.
    I count close to 200 separate games on their website, only a handful of these are emulators, which in themselves have a lot of individual retro games.

On top of that, there's games that isn't mentioned on their website which supports iCade.

Icontrolpad 2 will soon be on the marked, it have its own overlay system where you can add and adjust controls to almost every game on the AppStore.
    That one is one to watch. It also is compatible with almost every other system in existence that support Bluetooth:

[​IMG]

11. workingman

Aug 9, 2012
    Maintanence
    Ma
    That's good news, I will be keeping my eye on that

12. I don't understand why they have a keyboard on a joystick. Makes no sense.

13. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    The idea is that it's not just for iOS, but every other system you can think of that supports Bluetooth and/or USB.

From their Kickstarter page:

• Fully user programmable microcontroller, running open-source software

• 55 key keyboard - Shoulder buttons - Twin analogue nubs - High-quality Dpad

• New swivel clamp for easier phone handling

• Works as a standard HID (keyboard, joystick, iCade etc) for anything with either bluetooth or USB connections (Mac, PC, Phones, Tablets, PS3 etc.)

The iControlPad2 is not tied to phones or tablets. It is designed to be used with anything from your Raspberry Pi, Dev-board or USB Stick computer, to Robots, hobby projects, PC, Mac, bare PCBs/Motherboards, set-top boxes and anything else with Bluetooth.

If you do use it with your phone, it can attach via a swivel-holder for comfort, and is easily stowed when you take calls - as the battery lasts for 12-14 hours it's a great portable controller.

No need for App support: The iControlPad2 will work with almost any app, whether it supports it or not. Thanks to new overlay software, you can map the iControlPad2 controls and keys to screen presses in iOS or Android. Just map your favorite app and start playing; you will be amazed at the advantage real controls give you. See the video for a demonstration.

14. This is very untrue. Gameloft's Duo Gamer joystick is the bomb! It is the ONLY joystick that is onpar with an xbox or ps3 controller. It is very well made, and the dual analog sticks just work wonders in games like Wild Blood, Nova 3, Asphalt 7, and Wild Blood. Totally awesome joystick. The best by far on ios, nothing comes close. Not a kickstaryer joypad that had a keyboard on it, or an icade that simulates keystrokes and had no analog joysticks.

It's only $40 so it is not that expensive. It is a little bit ugly, but man, it works like a champ.

True, the game selection sucks and they need to open it up for all developers to use, but it is one awesome joysticks. Makes my new ipad a worthy console replacement. The Gameloft joystick is shockingly good. Nothing comes close on ios so far. Let's just hope They let other developers use it for their games, cause it rocks.

15. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    . Well, that's cool if you're happy with that, but I won't buy any controller that's good for only a handful of games. I'm good with the touch controls I have here at this point. Not gonna make a controller for everything? Screw it then. $40 IS too expensive otherwise. I'm not gonna have a bunch of useless hardware laying around if I'm not gonna get much out of it. To me, it's a waste and not worth it. To each their own.

16. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #16 Bytebrain, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    What I meant by my comment was that it being only compatible with Gameloft games makes it way too expensive for the ability to play a few games from Gameloft..
    I hadn't seen the price reduction. I read a review from the release of it, back then it was 70 $...

I'm sure it's an awesome controller, but with only Gameloft games supported, it's just not good enough to me.

On top of that, I'm personally not a big fan of Gameloft games in general, but that's a personal preference of course. :)

Edit:
    Correction, it was a whopping 80$ on release!!

17. workingman

Aug 9, 2012
    Maintanence
    Ma
    I bet the duo would sell millions if they opened it up to other devs
    I would even pay the $80 if it worked for most other games

18. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    +1 for that!

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I agree with this post... It is good at what it does, but it only does only a few.