Universal Saturday Morning RPG - (by Joystick Labs, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I thought it deserved a 4.5/5 at least. The game title is exactly what you should expect! A game similar and as random/odd as a saturday morning cartoon!

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Nice review on the front page. Sums it up pretty much perfectly. I really love this game and can't wait for more episodes. Keep feeding me nostalgia and I'll keep throwing you money. :)

3. TimEggers

TimEggers Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    Agreed, me too.

The point I wanted to make was if it is already a 4/5 game, can you imagine how awesome its only going to get when Mighty Rabbit can add the features they've already discussed?

Damn, goodbye Summer. Awesome.

4. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    As a heads up - Vince DiCola and Kenny Meriedeth will be releasing a Soundtrack for the game that you'll be able to buy through their website (and hopefully iTunes). No idea when that'll be out, though.

5. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    A new notebook cover is forthcoming from our friends at MegaCynics -

[​IMG]

6. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Haha, that's totally the same background from the saved by the bell intro.

7. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Sweet. More content the better :)

8. daiig

daiig Member

Apr 10, 2012

nice, definitively buying that.

btw, do you guys look at your own forums? posted couple things there but no responses...

9. operaguy2112

operaguy2112 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I have to say that I had a lot more fun with this game than I anticipated. Great work devs! I will say that I felt a lot of the weapons were basically useless because they were too hard to use effectively or just not consistent enough. I mostly used the share bear and the MJ glove. A little balance tweaking to the q/t battle system wouldn't hurt, but it didn't bother me too much.

I'm no analyst and don't have an insider understanding of the industry. But I wonder if a .99 cost and .99 for additional episodes would be more profitable for you guys. I'm guessing that a significant majority of your audience wouldn't have thought twice about dropping a buck on the game, and I almost never have a problem paying another dollar for additional content for a game I really enjoy(that is actual content and not consumable IAP). I think at least part of the problem with free + IAP unlock is that it skews your real audience. I think it's a psychological block that we have. It's easier to pay 1 dollar twice than it is to get something free and then pay 2 dollars for seconds. Honestly I considered waiting to see how the pricing model for additional episodes panned out before paying, but decided that the quality was good enough that it deserved my money. I certainly feel like I have gotten my money's worth out of the content so far.

Either way I think the season pass is a good idea. I'd really like to see this succeed because I know I would like to play a lot more episodes.

10. TimEggers

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    They are supposedly already hoping to adjust the battle sliders a bit (a welcome improvement).

I tyipically use the Scirssors and Laser Disc. SO many weapons to try... :D

Homeless Man and Caveman Riding a Dinosaur...yes this is the greatest game ever made!

11. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Im at Commander Hood but Marty seems to weak to beat him:mad:........Help

12. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Make sure you have either the basketball or striped gum in your inventory. There is two strategies you can take:

1. BASKETBALL:

- On your first turn, use the basketball to burn Commander Hood. Don't waste a turn charging up for this. Just use the ball and burn him. The burn will be strong enough to burn away his armor if he puts it on. Charge up as much as you can (you may need to do two consecutive charges) and use a damaging attack. If the armor has been burned off you should hit him for a bunch of damage.

- When he summons the soldiers. Focus power on Commander Hood. Take Commander Hood out by repeating the first step of the strategy. Do not try to beat the soldiers first.

2. STRIPED GUM:

- Charge up to 9.9, you will likely need to choose the charge option a few times in a row to accomplish this. Once at 9.9, use the striped gum. The first hit with the gum will knock off Commander Hood's armor (if applicable) and the next hits will damage him.

- Continue focusing your effort on Commander Hood. Repeat the strategy above if possible, but use your own judgment on what items can take him out. Don't bother with the soldiers until Commander Hood has been dealt with.

There is other strategies you can take (you could also try paralyzing him, or charge the Color Belt to 9.9 and make a 180 HP shield, etc.) but these two are pretty effective.

13. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Thanks MightyRabbitJosh...much APPRECIATED (great game)

14. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    We've already adjusted the sliders for the next update. They are bigger on the screen, and the slider now bounces back giving you an additional chance to hit the target. We made the target area on the punch slider larger so that the attack feels more satisfying, although we still don't want people relying on it.

We also added in multiple choices for charging. When you choose to charge now you can pick between the following:

Default - No additional input needed, but it builds your multiplier slower than the other methods.
    Classic - Tap to charge, no changes made here for those who like it.
    Gauge - A gauge fills on screen, tapping when the gauge is at its peak builds a high multiplier. You get four chances to fill the gauge and build your multiplier. This is similar to a golf game's meters.

There is literally something to satisfy everyone in terms of charging.

15. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Those sound like great additions/changes. I had a chance to try the game out last night, and my only complaints were a lack of a backswing on the golf-style-meters and the repetitive tapping required to charge. With options coming (soon?) to provide other alternatives this game is shaping up to be a favorite.

Thanks for paying attention to the players!

16. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    No problem! Without players we're nothing!

17. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Congratulations !!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[size=+3]SATURDAY MORNING RPG[/size]

[size=+2]Touch Arcade Forums
    Game of the Week
    04/04/2012
    [/size]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[size=+2]Thanks a lot for your votes![/size]

Check out this week's new releases
    [thread=118476]HERE[/thread]

Start nominating your 11042012 TAGOTW
    [thread=129831]HERE[/thread]

Visit 2012 TAGOTW Hall of Fame and Archives
    [thread=119439]HERE[/thread]

- DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AGAIN -

18. sabin1981

sabin1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    AWESOME!!

That, alone, remedies the only complaints I had with the battle system... Thank you so much! Now I can use the golf-style gauge and not end up giving myself carpal tunnel syndrome from bashing the screen like a loonie :D Thanks guys and I'm even going to try creating a new iTunes account just so I can buy the game all over again :D

....unless you have a donation link?

Anyhow, great stupff and I'm really looking forward to the new update.

19. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    [​IMG]

Three ways to charge your multiplier!

20. TimEggers

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    #260 TimEggers, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    Very nice! Congrats on the Game of the Week win!

So well deserved, I love SMRPG! :D

With regard to the "back swing" I'm all for it, but is there incentive or reward to get it the first time? I loved how Super Mario RPG gave me one chance to hit a double atrack (made it very satisfying). If I can just let it swing back and forth now it kinda detracts from that. :-/