Best non-Cave shumps

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by awp69, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Ok, you have made up my mind on buying dariusburst and space invaders, would wait for a sale, but looking at appshopper, looks like at best it will be at christmas time. So I guess I might as well get them now. I sure look forward to playing them, cause those along with my cave games and space tripper and mutantstorm will make my collection complete for now.

2. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Great to see you guys like Phoenix HD so much, truly awesome! We'll be adding tons of cool stuff as well to keep your shmup needs satisfied :)

From our FAQ
    It's not perfect, but it's possible!

3. Itchyant

Itchyant Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Exexe and picopico fighters are both great games. Tiny install sizes. The graphics on both are very basic, but gameplay is very fun.

Exexe has gameplay similar to the old cave game dangun feveron.

4. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    #24 smegly, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
    I'm partial to Danmaku Unlimited and Lightning Fighter.

5. Well, thanks to the vagrant and royce, I bought Dariusburst and Space Invaders Infinity Gene (spig). I had allocated money to buy bug princess 2 black label, but didn't purchase it due to the new inapps and also didn't seem all that much different than bug princess 2 which I already had along with Bug Princess.

So, instead of waiting for a sale for Darius and spig, which I figured would come xmas time, I went ahead and paid full price for both which cost me about $15. So as you know some have posted before, skip the soda pop, and buy the 99 cent app. For me, I didn't eat anything at all yesterday (breakfast, lunch, dinner), so I could buy the apps. I'm just kidding by the way.

Well, have to say at first I was a little disappointed, had second thoughts, why didn't I buy bug princess 2 black label instead? The thoughts swirled through my head.

Dariusburst, seemed way too easy, few bullets, and spig had poor graphics and kind of bad control.

But then, I dug through the options in darius, and found the hard setting, which for me is very important because I like bullet hells. The hard settings made the game much funner. But the odd thing for me, is there is an sp mode and an original mode. I started playing the sp mode on my new ipad, and I didn't like it so much.

But then, I played the original game set on hard, it rocks!!! It was really fun on my new ipad even though it uses only about 3/4 of my screen. But the controls are great, and I love the cool bosses.

But on my iphone, I like the sp mode better. Plays well on my iphone too.

Spig, at first, I was l like, wow, cruddy graphics, control, and was not retina at all. Far from it on my new ipad.

But once I got playing, it was addicting. I love how each level changes, and you evolve with different traits. The first couple of levels are kind of boring with only space invader movements, but after you evolve to be able to move freely like a regular shmup, it rocks!!!

So after about one hour, I began to see what all the praise was about for both games, and my fears of why I bought these two over black princess 2 black label, subsided.

I really like both games, and I love that both are universal and not too big in size like dodonpachi hd. I really like both of those games, and with toon fighter which I got for free 2 days ago, and with space tripper and mutant storm which I got 2 weeks ago, I feel much better.

Now it seems like there is more options on the ios for shmups, and soon lightning fighter hd and danmaku hd will be coming.

But anyway, thanks for the recommendations for Dariusburst and Space Invaders Infinity Gene, they are both great games, and I highly highly recommend them. I still probably like cave games more still, but I am glad to see the difference between cave and non cave shmups is diminishing.

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I've got to spend some time with the family, but I'll try to compile a list in the OP over the weekend.

7. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    This list will cost me some money - thanks folks !

My personal top 3

• DARIUSBURST - 100 percent worth the full price
    • RAYSTORM - Vibrating pixel action and eye candy
    • SPACE TRIPPER - short said "The best game ever"

8. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #28 tops2, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
    Haha..finally tried R Type in mame for an hour and I can't even pass the first stage. =P
    Not sure if it's gonna be easier on the iOS version. Lol..

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Updated the OP based on what's been mentioned. Let me know if I missed any!

Thanks!

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Wonderful list, thanks for compiling it. Now we need a poll :D

(also you misspelled Storm Strikers)

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #31 awp69, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
    Thanks :rolleyes:, fixed. Thought about putting some of the most mentioned in bold (Phoenix HD, Darisburst SP, Raystorm, Space Tripper, Lightning Fighter, Icarus-X...maybe a few more), but was afraid to start splitting hairs since everyone has their own tastes.

12. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Lol.. Well, it's a lot more work..but could split up between vertical vs horizontal shmups..bullet hell vs non bullet hell.. But otherwise, great list. Of course, SIIG can be both vertical & horizontal. ;)

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Nice idea, but there's probably at least 1/3 of them I've never even played (but may need to take a look at now :) )!

14. Thanks for taking the time out to make the list. But your right about preferences all right. Would like to give a shoutout to Space Invaders Infinity Gene, Toon Shooter, Danmaku, and iRootage.

Thanks again.

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Just an FYI. Icarus-X is currently free. No reason to not try it if you haven't already!

16. #36 Connector, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    Ok, SumoSplash was asking me some questions about Dariusburst on that thread, mostly about the graphic quality, and comparing it to other games. I decided to just post some screenshots, so you all can decide for yourselves. I'll throw in my comments later too.

Here are some screenshots of various games including Dariusburst, Space Tripper, Dodonpachi hd, Espgaluga 2 hd, Icarus X, Phoenix Hd, and Toon Shooters.

Once the first picture loads up, press on the left/right arrows or swipe left/right to see all the pictures, there should be ten of them or so.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=DB7AF1CCA3D47BCE!419&authkey=!ADGTCxf5MLLM3DY

The first 2 pictures are of Dariusburst on my new ipad, the next two are of Dariusburst on my iphone4. After that, there are various games.

Since there are so many graphic modes and terms, it is hard to pick out which of these are the best. Most of it is due to user preference. There are so many confusing terms here like retina iphone, retina ipad, hd, some apps use 3/4 screen, etc, so it's hard to say which is best.

Dariusburst has the most 3d effects, so screendumps don't do it justice. Personally, I kind of like it best for graphics due to the 3d effects. To me, it is the coolest looking shmup.

Dodonpachi hd and esp 2 hd, are good, but a little pixellated, I would say they are close to iphone retina or ipad 2 hd. Phoenix hd has the most gorgeous art and colors out of these programs, and while space tripper may be the most pixellated, it uses the full screen unlike most of the others, so that helps.

The ironic thing is that the two least known that I posted Icarus X and Toon Shooters look the best on my new ipad retina. At least in terms of pixel jaggies. But overall, lots of times artwork, 3d effects, and vector graphics will win over pixel count.

I know most of these games are a little high priced relatively, but I feel that all of these titles are must buys since there aren't too many great shmups out there. I would probably suggest buying bug princess 2 since it is only $7 to see if you like cave games since they are kind of similar (I'm sure some will say buy the black label version, but it is $14).

You said you wanted Dariusburst, so it is good cause it's a side scroller. Space Tripper isn't too much at $4, and some of the others that I screenshoted, you could have gotten for free or very little cost.

Hope this helps in choosing which shmups to buy Sumosplash! Take it easy!

Pictures:
    1. Dariusburst, new ipad
    2. Dariusburst, new ipad
    3. Dariusburst, iphone 4
    4. Dariusburst, iphone 4
    5. Space Tripper, rest are all new ipad
    6. Space Tripper
    7. Icarus X
    8. Dodonpachi ressurection hd
    9. Espgaluga 2 hd
    10. Toon shooters
    11. Phoenix hd
    12. Bug princess 2

17. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Thanks for the above post Connector. I now feel Connected :D But really, thanks for the informative feedback. Touch Arcade has expanded my iOS gaming knowledge by about a billion percent.

I know this subject has been brought up before, but does anyone now if there is any possibility of Cave bringing out HD versions of DoDon Blissful Death, DeathSmiles or any of the Bug Princess versions? Why are only Espgaluda and DoDon Resurrection getting the HD treatment? The other titles not currently in HD are just as worthy. I know I'd pay for them.

Someone mentioned that these titles are in HD because there were HD versions of them available on the consoles and they just ported them over. Is this true?

18. Rereading this thread, Phoenix hd came out with an update and dodonpachi maximum came out for ios. Phoenix hd really got better, the new ship Trinity just rocks. So I like it a lot better now. I like it better than icarus x now for sure.

Cave's new shooter dodonpachi maximum also is very good especially on iphones and is very recommended. I will check out the list cause there are probably some new games like Space Inflaters that are pretty good.

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I know I need to add a few games to the OP. I'll add Space Infaters (leaving out the Cave ones since this is supposed to be a non-Cave shump list).

Post any others! I know I gotta remember to update the thread.

20. Oh good, it's you awp! Glad you are still updating this list cause I love shmups.

Add these two pretty good ones.

Hyperwave - kind of like Super Crossfire makers of Hyperlight
    Bsquadron - new game that just game out, kind of retro and fun

Also, Space Inflaters is spelled with a L.

Thanks so much! What a complete list!