Internet help?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mene, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Hi,

My mum got an iPad mini (1st gen) for her birthday and she now wants to connect to the net (yay! About time!)

But I'm a little wary.. Because she has no home internet and I'm worried that you need a PC or laptop to actually setup the connection and wifi when you first get it.

I don't fancy dragging my huge PC over to her house to set the wifi up.

Can the initial connection and wifi setup be totally done via her iPad mini?

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    If you already have a wifi connection in the house (as in, a router) you should be able to connect straight from the device - as long as you know the log-in details, of course.

You could either connect during the initial set-up of a brand new device, or skip the step and connect after all that is done.

3. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    No connection, I'm sorry I thought I made that clear, perhaps not.

There is no connection currently in the house.

4. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    You should be fine as long as you have the IP (Google for it by model/brand at your place) you can set it up through Safari on the iPad.

5. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Thank you

6. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Oh, right... Sorry about that, I'm a little tired. I swear I read the post twice.

In theory, you should be able to connect to the wifi out of the box.

7. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks guys :)

8. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I think I get what you mean,

Are you asking if you need a PC to activate the wifi internet once it's gone live in irder for your mum to use it on her mini?

If that's the case then she will be fine without a PC, I'm in the uk and just got wireless last month, (with bt) all I had to do was plug in the router to the phone line and then switch the router on, to connect the mini it's just a case of entering the network password when you first connect, you can then change any router settings such as parental controls, which are sometimes automatically turned on depending on which company you're with, from safari, but you don't have to do that, I was blocked from viewing gaming sites so had to remove them.
    I set my wifi up without a PC or laptop and it took ten minutes max.

If that's not what you meant ignore me lol.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    You dont need the PC, as long as shes got the internet she can turn on the ipad mini, it'll pick up the internet, just enter the network password then thats it forever.

10. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Worst case scenario depending on the wifi router is needing to bring a netbook or something with a small ethernet cable but the last one I needed to do that on was a wrt54g and they are very old.

Most modern ones you shouldn't need that as they usually come with a wifi login, so it's just really a matter of connecting it to the modem and entering that password into the ipad. In fact if my current one's anything to go by it came with two logins one for guests and the full one.

After you get connected you can tweak things from the routers web address (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 it should be in the manual anyway).