Fake TouchArcade reviews in AppStore?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ticookie, Aug 1, 2009.

1. ticookie

ticookie Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2008
    #1 ticookie, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
    So I was surfing through the AppStore and I came across on of Apple's featured games this week: Ranch Rush. Reading the description, however, revealed them quoting TouchArcade saying "...one of the few standouts" and giving it a ~4.5 out of 5 star review. Unless I'm missing something (and the Search function is too), TouchArcade never reviewed this and doesn't actually give ratings to games, only making suggestions as to whether it's a good idea to buy a game or not.

Is this the beginning of a plague of fake reviews from TouchArcade? :confused:

URL: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=321158715&mt=8

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Developers have been using reviews from our user reviews forum and crediting them as "Touch Arcade". I've seen it a few times.

3. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

4.5 out of 5 means only one person. Big Albie :)

4. mebeswordguy

mebeswordguy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    maybe someone on the forums said that and they are twisting around words. edit: too late :)

5. ticookie

ticookie Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2008
  6. AClockworkSausage

AClockworkSausage Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Systems Analyst
  7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    #8 1337brian, Aug 1, 2009
    Well BA is TA's "Official Review Guy"... I would like it better when the Devs say Big Albie From TA gives it _______ ..... Rather then making it seem like it's a frontpage feature...

8. atommo

atommo Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Developer
    #9 atommo, Aug 1, 2009
    I put a quote from Devilishly Good's review, and attributed to "Touch Arcade's User Reviews", so it could be found. Is that acceptable? If not I'll remove :)

edit: Looks like the review quotes propagated overnight so you can see it on the itunes link below.

9. mnlawson

mnlawson Member

Jul 15, 2009
    We apologize for the confusion in regards to it appearing that TouchArcade had done a review of our game Ranch Rush. This will be immediately fixed on the app store and we appreciate your patience in this matter.

10. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    I hate farms.

11. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    yep. BA=TA.

12. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I've always asked devs to clarify and revise those quotes to be more accurate since there is a difference between TA and the TA forums. I'll continue to do that to avoid any confusion.