Libra Website updated - opinions?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Carlos, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    Hi,

Spent some money and effort on my app's website. Was it worth it, what do you think?

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    you want honest feedback or just general happy lies?

lets start with lies.. whoohoo looks great.. good investment of youre money!

now lets star the honesty..

first thing noticed is the gigantic enourmous empty header of the page

the yellow header is nearly half my screen (24"), thats way too big with

also white text on yellow bg is kinda hard to ready, its not very comfortable,

possible you want to change the color to grey or black

i suppose this is the page for your game , but the structure looks like a page for a company.

well then there are tons of little details that are wrong, for example the
    reflection of the iphone is cut off instead of fading out.. looks odd

in general i think the layout is too vertically oriented.. the small screenshots

could early fit in a seperate column next to the text instead under the text.

but! in overall its a good start to base youre website on :)

3. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    Thanks for the honest feedback, it's really useful!
    (I've changed the header's background to lightblue, hope it helps for the first issue.)

4. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I think the colour scheme/look and feel of the site is great.

However, I agree with mr.Ugly that the header is a bit too big and some work could be done into space management and layout of information.

A good start, but a few tweaks are in order.

5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    blue is alot better readable!

6. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    Thank you for the feedback, too.

Before facelifting the website I was told that the point is to emphasize the app in the first place, letting the potential customer reach easily the information he needs - including the price tag and the AppStore link.
    And this all is included in the header, which I thought is all right.

I checked out the site also from my iPod Touch and it looks quite ok (is even readable without magnification in landscape mode).

7. Looks good! I think it is a nice focus on the product.

If anything, I would remove one of the menu screenshots and add a screenshot with a real graphical showcase like a particle effect or something in that area. Menus isn't something that I think appeals to customers that much.

Otherwise, really nice.

Good luck with the sales!

8. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I do like the header and it brings attention to your product well, but maybe make the website more landscape rather than have that really long description. For example have the header, then the navigational options, some reviews and quotes and video (but leave out the long explanation at the bottom).
    I think that's all you need for the front page and then have 'About' or 'Games' section where you explain the game in more detail, such as what you have done below on the first page.

I just dislike the long load of text at the bottom.

But overall, it looks so much more like a professional games website, congrats!

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I assume it's changed since this topic started because I don't see any yellow or blue headers, but what you have now looks really nice. The most important parts were the first thing to catch my eye, iPhone, screenshots, price, game name and link to the App Store. I've seen much worse than this from bigger dev teams, so I think you've done well here.