iPad Duke Nukem 3D for (Now FREE 10/1)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jawslover, Aug 10, 2009.

1. George Broussard

George Broussard Active Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Arn, and others,

You are absolutely correct about the controls and I apologize. You have my word this will all be addressed as soon as possible in an update. I was not aware the control situation until the game had already shipped.

Hang in there a short bit and I'm sure the game will control as well as it can on the iPhone, soon.

2. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    And the 1st "gen" touch incompatible issue?

Will that too be resolved? There's honestly no reason for this game to NOT be compatible with that SKU.

3. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Great to see you have joined TA. :) They shipped the game before you could test it?

4. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Welcome to TA! Thanks for the quick response...you have probably calmed the fears of many here who dread unresponsive developers.

5. George Broussard

George Broussard Active Member

Aug 10, 2009
    You can be sure I'll look into every issue raised in this thread with the developer so please keep the feedback coming. I'm playing a little catch up on this.

Long story, but I was sort of out of the loop on this and I shouldn't have been. Chalk it up to internal miscommunication.

Guys, please keep the feedback coming and we'll address as much as possible. Already talking to the Machineworks guys about the controls. I agree 100% on the comments on the sticks. Feedback on all the control types would be very valuable.

6. septimus

septimus Member

May 13, 2009
    Worst controls ever. Thanks for looking into them. Just copy Wolf3d as a basis. The analogue controls on this just don't work.

MiniGore controls, that kind of smoothness would be great.

Otherwise fantastic looking little game. Runs a bit too quick on a 3GS, but that is hardly a complaint. Nice to have this classic on the iPhone :)

7. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    The game is very playable if you use the Left control stick as a "tap pad" rather than a stick. Thanks George for addressing the concerns.

Now here's the game using that left pad with taps only:

8. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Thank you. It's always great for a dev to keep such open communication with consumers. :)

I just had a mental picture of you blocking the door while holding a baseball bat in order to "resolve" the little "miscommunication" issue :p

9. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

How can a company this big, releasing a title of this magnitude, release a game where the controls do not work? That is simply amazing, even for the appStore.

I could understand a bug or two with the controls, but after watching Arn's video...wow.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

11. Ventura

Ventura Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm getting a bit tired of this. It's the second time in almost as many days that iTunes has told me an app I just bought couldn't be installed it because it wasn't compatible.

To be honest, I think this is partly Apple's fault. iTunes knows full well what generation Touch I've got, it should throw out a warning about it not being compatible with it before I go to make that purchase.

Developer laziness though, granted, that's not their fault.

12. Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Pretty much echo what everybody has said so far. The expert controls unfortunately are just broken at the current time. I'll wait for an update before I go back to this one.

13. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    /insert snobby anti-FPS-on-iDevice rant here

Already have this game. I prefer playing it on..anything other than an iPod

14. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    It happens...believe me it happens everyday both in and outside of the appstore. There's really no excuse for it, but to the dev's credit, they're on here addressing it. Obviously, it's a marketing and PR ball drop, and it would be a good idea to pull the game soon to minimize the damage especially since these things tend to take on a life of their own if you let them fester.

15. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    As a basis, it might work...but we have to keep in mind that Wolf3D Classic is a "single plane" type of FPS. By that I mean there's no elevation in the levels, and enemies don't appear above and below the player, so aiming is only on the x axis.

So based on Wolf3D, with modifications, might work. True free look would have to be implemented due to the aiming on x and y axis. But "as is", they wouldn't.

Personally I think the quickest option would simply be to just optimize the dual stick controls. The "virtual buttons" would have to be simplified, though. They clutter way too much of the screen.

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I have the control issue also with the sliders.
    Especially the one in the lower right isn't working at all.
    Playing on a 3GS with the latest OS.
    So, at the moment, it is impossible to play the game.

Really not cool.
    Bring the update quickly.

17. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Wow..I log on and see this! :eek: Downloading now!

18. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    People should try rearranging the casual controls. Now, I've only played the lite version of Wolfenstein (and only briefly, mind), but I'm not sure how much better the controls are there compared to:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(they felt the same to me - granted, I haven't played either for very long).

19. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    I'm playing on my itouch 2nd gen, and I'm not gonna lie. The controls are horrible. They don't work :( glad the dev is working on an update though. This game is unplayable until that comes out. Otherwise just download it while it's 2.99 and wait for the update.

20. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I am having pretty good success with Disable strafe checked, and the look speeds about in the middle, the strafe speed (I don't know if this does anything now) and Movement speed just below the middle (on a 3 Gs)

I am doing the tap and hold occ method, but getting pretty good at getting around. Not good enough to get the atomic health by jumping on the sign precision, but using crosshairs to kill enemies and doing OK with that.

Glad to see they will tweak the controls, but my current set up makes the game playable for me.

Anyone else using similar?