Question on identifying a RTS capture the flag game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by gafortiby, Jun 4, 2013.

1. gafortiby

gafortiby New Member

Jun 4, 2013
    #1 gafortiby, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    Hello, new member so please excuse me if I'm wandering in the wrong place.

I played an iOS game last year but I can't remember the title. Could someone help me identify it?

The game was a combination of capture the flag and real time strategy. The game is played top down view on a map that has several towers.

The gameplay involves sending your people (troops?) into one of the towers to claim it. The AI does the same thing. Once a tower is claimed, the population inside that tower grows on its own over time. Then, you can send a portion of your people out of your tower to capture another tower that is either owned by no one or AI. When you send people out of your tower to go somewhere else, the AI could send their people into your tower and overtake it. So you have to make sure that you leave enough people behind to defend your tower.

And you keep doing that until you capture the most towers possible. I can't remember if you win by capturing all towers or the most important tower...

Does anyone know what game I'm talking about? It may have been an Android game as well but I am pretty sure I played it on an iPod Touch (but I could be mistaken).

Thank you!

2. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Mushroom wars?

Mushroom Wars

Zillion Whales
    “The forest floor has never been more deadly or more fun.” – IGN “It’s hard not to get sucked into Mushroom Wars once yo…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    “The forest floor has never been more deadly or more fun.” – IGN “It’s hard not to get sucked into Mushroom Wars once you start playing, and you’ll certainly never look at that portabella on your plate ever again without the urge to send it charging into battle.” – Gamezebo Space Tournament takes place just once in a million years, and the moment has come! Play now, take part in great online battles, earn Tournament Experience and get awards in Mushroom Wars... and Mushroom Wars 2! Aye, all participants of the Space Tournament will get valuable awards in the new part of the game, which will be released very soon! * Оne of the all-time “Top 25 PSN Games” by IGN! * Ranked #1 Strategy game in US, Germany and 59 other countries * Featured by Apple in US, Canada, UK and 103 countries An unknown enemy has made mischief among the Mushroom folk, and once friendly neighbors have begun to fight one another. Lead the Mushroom Army and mediate peace in the forest! Mushroom Wars is a dynamic real-time strategy. Defeat enemy tribes or capture key strategic locations! Increase the size of your army, complete the construction of your villages, improve your weapons, capture smith shops or hold defensive towers – it's up to you to choose your way to victory! Complete a fascinating Campaign or challenge other players online! One of the greatest games of all time for Playstation and PlayStation®Network according to IGN is now available for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad! * Three modes of multiplayer competition. * Up to four players in a battle * A campaign containing 32 maps with increasing difficulty levels * Simple controls and exciting gameplay * Multiple challenges for experienced gamers * A variety of mission goals: capture, king of the hill, etc. * Three variants of controls for more effective play * Supports left-handed gamers See video trailer: http://youtu.be/BjGXDJIPUVI Learn more: http://www.facebook.com/MushroomWarsMobile Attention! Dear users, we have successfully implemented iPad 1 and iOS 5.1. support for single player campaigns. Unfortunately, iPad 1 doesn’t have sufficient resources for the Mushroom Wars multiplayer mode, so the mode is unavailable for this device; our first priority being that you enjoy the game. If you encounter any problems with online multiplayer we highly recommend you to close other applications that may be active. To do this quickly press the iPad button twice, press and hold any icon in the window that appears and close other apps one by one (by pressing minus in the upper left corner of each icon).
    Information
    Seller:Zillion Whales
    Genre:Arcade, Strategy
    Release:Jan 24, 2013
    Updated:Jul 31, 2014
    Version:1.14
    Size:181.9 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (7)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

This is a new version I think.

3. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    #3 JagerBombS, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013

Castle Warriors

REVIEWS
    "Castle Warriors is a simple and attractive strategy game that should appeal to a broad range of player…
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    REVIEWS
    "Castle Warriors is a simple and attractive strategy game that should appeal to a broad range of players."
    -toucharcade.com

"I’m a huge fan of games that I get a laugh out of, and Castle Warriors doesn’t fail to deliver."
    -nodpad.com

"If you enjoyed Galcon, this app will bring a nice 3D twist to the gameplay."
    -appvee.com

"Simple, fun, quick, and addicting, Castle Warriors was a great experience and I really enjoyed the look and presentation of the game’s campaign."
    -The Appcast

"The game is pretty addicting and highly enjoyable."
    -appsmile.com

"...a gem that can really showcase what we’ve come to expect from the App Store."
    -touchmyapps.com

"It’s very simple, yet incredibly fun and entertaining."
    -appadvice.com

-----------------------------------------------
    DESCRIPTION
    Battle for Queen and Country: skewer a few clichés along the way.

Queen Mynera rules a lovely land threatened by despicable foes. Of course, you are her only hope. Castle Warriors is a tensely fought, tightly paced RTS game set in a landscape that gently tweaks all those fantasy tropes from the games of yore. Lead armies of warriors, veterans, warlords, heroes and even giants, against goblins, orcs, ogres, trolls and demons. You must take and defend castles, use superior strategy and tactical timing to gain advantage before claiming victory.

You must Creep on the Borderlands, defend Waterseep, and find the Temple of Elemental Good. And what possible trouble could a few missing magic items be? Hmmmm…

FEATURES
    Simple touch controls
    12 battlefields linked in a campaign
    Castles that upgrade during the battle, with new capabilities and defenses
    Difficulty modes to suit your style of play

Buy Castle Warriors now. Because if you don’t stop evil now, what chance will you have in the sequel?

-----------------------------------------------
    By the developers of 'Downhill Bowling' and 'Biplane Wings of Raccoon'.
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Action, Strategy
    Release:Sep 18, 2009
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

4. gafortiby

gafortiby New Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Thank you both!

I think the game I played is more similar to the mushroom wars game but I am not sure if it was exactly that game. I seem to recall the game having a more watercolor look to it, kinda like a samurai theme?

But the gameplay is very much like the two games you've shown, and thanks to your answers I also found Galcon. Plenty of games to try! :)

Among the games that use this gameplay, (and what would you call this genre?) which one stands out as the best in your opinions?

Thanks! and thank you so much for your quick answers!!

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Samurai Bloodshow?

6. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Now I'm curious.
    Autumn Dynasty?

7. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Another game like this is 'Tentacle Wars', it's just like the above games, except it is about cells, and you need to control all the cells.
    Worth a look, but I'm sure you could find a better game.

8. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    Sounds like Landgrabbers could be similar, as well...(I think that's also on Android)

9. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    We really need a name for this genre...'capture the...' I dunno, but it would be handy having a name for it for future reference.

10. gafortiby

gafortiby New Member

Jun 4, 2013