What to expect from an Apple feature

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by u2elan, Jan 7, 2011.

1. u2elan

u2elan Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    iOS Developer
    Portland, OR
    #1 u2elan, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
    Hey guys,

Much to my extreme delight, I discovered that Apple has decided to feature Ramps in New and Noteworthy (overall) and New and Noteworthy (games) today.

Now that I've had a chance to catch my breath, and dropped the price to $.99(hopefully) make a run at the rankings, I'm kinda wondering what to expect? Like how many downloads a day is realistic?

I had an app in 2009 that got a feature like this, but it only worked on the 3GS which was (at the time) brand new, so I think this is a bit different.

2. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I can't exactly say for sure how many downloads you might average a day. I do know that you'll definitely get lots of attention, as Apple is giving you a direct spotlight being on the first page.As an AppStore gamer, I can say that I do pick up many games on their list that I would've never have seen before.

Something to note, you're also going to receive more criticism than you used to as well as more good reviews. While you're on the top, support the game with some features that you think will benefit both you and the gamers.

You're doing good so far, because people have given your game an overall rating of 4 1/2 stars.

3. taptapdev

taptapdev Well-Known Member

First, congrats!

In my experience, the sales peaked on Saturday after a N&N feature. If your game does well (i.e. download number keeps high) for the next couple days, it will be featured in What's Hot next week for another week of spotlight.

Your game looks pretty solid. If you make decent money in the next few days, I would suggest spending some of it on improving the icon and game graphics :)

4. AssyriaGameStudio

AssyriaGameStudio Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Grats dude ;)!
    Looks like a neat little game, wish you all the best with the sales :)!

5. u2elan

u2elan Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    iOS Developer
    Portland, OR
    Yep you were right, Saturday wound up pretty huge for us.

We've leveled off our climb now, hanging around #58 on the App Store. This is quite a wild ride!

Any tips for sustaining rank after the feature wears off? Which app of yours got featured?

6. CodeCritical

CodeCritical Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Congrats! We saw a HUGE jump in numbers (about 10x) that sustained while we were on the boards.

I'm not sure how much PR you've done or received ... but definitely whip up a press release that announces you are on "Apple's New and Noteworthy" ... send it to all the review sites and post that on all the forums.

MILK IT!!!!!

7. gammabeam

gammabeam Well-Known Member

Yay! Congrats!

Please share your experience in the N&N!
    I mean, you don't have to show the actual numbers, but has it improved your sales by which factor?

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    if you are really featured (not a subsection) such spikes are pretty common..

it gives you a glimpse of what the top app earn daily.

[​IMG]

9. taptapdev

taptapdev Well-Known Member

We reached out to traditional media (& PR) in relevant industry to try to sustain the momentum. We had a mixed result though. You have to realize that spikes and tapper-off is a normal way of life in the App Store for 99% of the Apps.

I had two featured Apps. One is: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goldilocks-three-bears-childrens/id395879617?mt=8 The other is: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id369048487?mt=8

Also, don't be shy to publicize your success. You can attract a lot of press attention by just being open with it.