iPhone Machine World: New sandbox game for kids (young and old!)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TrinoGames, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrinoGames

TrinoGames Active Member

Jan 11, 2012
    #1 TrinoGames, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    Hello!
    This is my first post on Touch Arcade as a developer. I hope it is OK to announce games this way.

I am proud to announce Machine World, an iPad sandbox game focusing on cool machines you can drive, fly and operate.
    Among these are excavators, a dumper, helicopter, terrain vehicle and a few others. You get two big islands to roam around with canyons, bridges, buildings and various construction-themed parts to play with. It is developed for kids aged 4+, but appears to have appealed to testers aged up to 64!

It pushes the iPad 2 to the limit with a scaling terrain/performance system and realistic physics, but scales back for the iPad 1. Machine World has just been submitted to the App Store for review, so we hope to be able to release soon. Introductory pricing will be set at USD 1.99.

The official site with some more information and screenshots is here: http://www.trinogames.com

I would be very happy to discuss the game, and any feedback you may have on the trailer and website is most welcome!

Thanks in advance!
    Cheers,
    Dan

2. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    That looks amazing. :)

How modular is that world? Can you dig everything and build anything? Can the copter haul blocks for example?

3. TrinoGames

TrinoGames Active Member

Jan 11, 2012
    It is very modular. You can dig everywhere (it will generate rocks at the moment) and load that onto the dumper etc. You can transport building parts on the vehicles (including small things like cones, etc.), so you can set up a building site anywhere.

We had terrain deformation in the game from the start, but we had to remove it (temporarily) as we had to support the iPad 1 (there is no legal way to release only for the iPad2) and the realtime terrain deformation was way too slow on the iPad1.

We have an improved version of the terrain deformation half-done, so that will appear in an update (the next one hopefully).

As for the helicopter hauling things, it can't - yet. But that is simply as we haven't had time to add the winch. If you look closely you will see that the helicopter does have the winch motor "part" on the right side. So that is coming. The heli will be able to do more than just haul stuff as well. You will see. ;)

Basically, the whole system under the game is very modular and flexible so our hope is to get some decent success with the first version and then improve upon content and function as we go on.

Also, we hope to add iPhone4/4s support with the next update. Just some optimization and user interface stuff to do.

Last but not least, thanks for the kind words!
    Cheers,
    Dan

4. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    I guess you can release for the iPad2 only by putting a camera requirement into the build file. I wouldn't recommend it though as I have only the original iPad. :p

Anyway this game is an instant buy when it comes out. It looks great. :D

5. TrinoGames

TrinoGames Active Member

Jan 11, 2012
  6. Looks fun, great concept. Only thing I would say is that it is very unclear what sort of construction you can do in the game, and I feel like being able to make things would be the number 1 goal of playing. Ie why else am I mining/hauling rock around etc? From reading the description on iTunes it sounds like you can do something, but there's no construction screen shots or details. I'm wondering, can I build whatever I like (ie custom make whatever height tower/office building/car park/etc), or do I have to build a pre-made structure that's the same every time?

In the video it looks like maybe you can custom make some stuff (or is that just you knocking down a structure that was already there?).

Anyway good luck!
    Regards,
    Jay