Super Mario Run- can't be that good can it?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thumbs07, Nov 18, 2016.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I mean we've got Sonic in a run format, what is Mario going do different- simply lend the privilege of its IP on the apple device, or will it make something groundbreaking?

2. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    We have to wait and see. People are being too negative about the game.

Being an autorunner doesn't make or break the game. It all depends on its execution.

3. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I doubt it will be groundbreaking, because it's still an autorunner, but I reckon Nintendo will raise the bar. The Rayman runners are really slick, so I'm expecting something at least that good in terms of general mechanics, but for Nintendo to bring in more hidden items, secret paths, that kind of thing. Lost Socks also showed how non-linear an autorunner can be in terms of offering different routes to complete a level.

So yeah, it could be pretty good. But we'll see!

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah... We'll just have to see. Games like the Rayman series, Polara, and Kid Tripp are some of the absolute best titles that have graced iOS devices which fall into the runner-platformer subgenre.

5. rhljk14

rhljk14 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Swansea, MA
    #5 rhljk14, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    This game will be fantastic for so many reasons; even if they have to do with plain old nostalgia. Seeing Mario running across the screen and listening to that music.....I can't wait. But i think this game is important for the landscape of mobile gaming. I think everyone will agree that this game is gonna make a ton of money...and hopefully other studios will notice and jump into the mobile scene. Sony is coming with some games too so the future is looking good. I, as opposed to what appears to be majority, do not have an issue with free and pay to play games. Premium would be better but it is what it is.

Update: I misspoke, it is premium with 1 time purchase.

6. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    If folks were questing if this should've been a free to play game, then Nintendo has mentioned they didn't want to do that type of game.

As for it's $10 price... that sounds about right. I am of the opinion that that should've been the minimum for MANY games. The typical consumer is crazy to expect a $1 to $3 game will get free updates for life, timely updates, sexy polish, free content, and multiplayer capabilities. Especially if the game took more than 4 months to complete.

On the plus side, I'm guessing this is all a side project for Nintendo. They're overall still doing well in their traditional space. Wii U wasn't hot, but Wii was, and sort of like Apple, they have a very large cash reserves in the bank to absorb flops.