Raised limit for 3G / Edge downloads is now 20MB

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by matt.johnson.mobile, Feb 18, 2010.

1. matt.johnson.mobile

matt.johnson.mobile Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Guess what I'm doing right now... downloading a 15MB app over 3G!

2. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Can someone confirm if this is Edge also? I am on 3G.

3. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

that is so cool. what app? maybe it's just that one?

4. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Yeah, it's true. PocketGamer.co.uk revealed this morning that Apple have increased the Edge/3G limit from 10mb to 20mb.

5. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Nice! I wonder if this change was made to help ease developer's worries about building universal iPad/iPhone apps, since the extra resources for the iPad could push it over 10mb.

6. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Not to be all "I told ya so" but… :p

7. Singularity42

Singularity42 Member

Feb 18, 2010
    It's quite strange to have some kid downloading music videos off youtube take precedence over perhaps a $99 app purchase. Paid apps should get access to more bandwidth.

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

This is interesting because, at 16MB and selling a reasonably consistent number on a daily basis, I'll be able to see if being under the 3G limit actually makes a difference or not.

Edit: on a side note, all my reviews and ratings are gone today?!

--Eric

9. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

Not strange at all. Network neutrality must be maintained or the net will be ruined by mega corporations ensuring you don't get access to what they don't want you to see.

10. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

I noticed this on a very large number of apps, they seem to have returned to them all slowly, some before others.

11. Eric5h5

You're right, they're back now.

--Eric

12. tylertv

tylertv Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    I imagine the the new cap is going to make getting podcasts a bit easier. :)

I do tend to check an apps file size before downloading, especially at work where we don't have wi-fi. It could influence a sale for me, suddenly I have 10 megabytes more impulse buy flex.

I probably shouldn't tell the wife that.

13. Eric5h5

Well, so far the effect has been pretty much zero. Granted my game's getting pretty old now, but it still sells a reasonable number of copies, and the numbers haven't really changed. I never thought the 10MB limit actually stopped anyone who wanted your game in the first place....

--Eric

14. matt.johnson.mobile

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Sure... the varied distribution in the top 100 proves it does not impede success, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt at all. Many people I talk to with iPhones say they only download apps when they are waiting in line, at the gas station, etc.... very impulse. The real advantage is to capture that market.

... but with even more apps now available for impulse purchase, it kindof puts us back where we started, visibility :).

MJ

15. spacefrog

spacefrog Active Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Drunken Klaus 3D (done in Unity), a typical party app where you guide a drunken 3D guy home savely over some obstacles along a jetty/gangplank, has doubled in downloads the last days since they raised the 10MB barrier. Don't know wether this will stay or not, but it seems like it had an effect for this particular app....