The Xbox 360 Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by jacksoncombs, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    [​IMG]

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Well aren't you clever.

I just checked my queue and my kids haven't started the download yet. There will be hell to pay if it's not downloaded by the time I get home! ;) :)

3. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants

I was judging it only from review scores which were around 5 to 6 mostly. But if the game does well than that's great! I don't believe they added new modes to it though so it's the same content just played differently.

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I suppose it may depend on where you are looking. metacritic has higher scores then that so far and a website I read, cheapassgamer.com gave it an outstanding, and they don't generally even like Kinect.

In any case I tried and then bought it. It's pretty awesome, especially 2 player, but also solo. The game is perfect for Kinect and Kinect is perfect for the game. I like it much more then the iOS version. My kids love it too.

Having said that, we've had some issues with it. On occasion it seems to stop recognizing slices by one player and we have to fiddle with things before it starts to work again. Also when playing two players with people of significantly different height, the game will usually calibrate for the tall player and the short player will just be a head and arms at the bottom of the screen! Workaround was for me to crouch down when it calibrated and then it was playable even with different heights.

Seems like these issues should be fixable, though, and it was still worth the trouble.

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    They really need to update the Kinect Hub. When you launch it now there is a listing for Fruit Ninja Kinect, but that's not because you've downloaded it, it's because it's an advertisement. When I started the game up I could go to that thing and it had a Play button, but this morning when my youngest tried to do the same, it acted as if he needed to buy the game! He had to switch to a controller to go to the game library from the standard hub and launch the game that way. Lame.

6. Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    My house
  7. AOR

AOR Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Independent game developer
    San Francisco
    Wait, but you're trying to make it come off like people are constantly saying old games used to be better and that new games suck. I have a lot of friends who are oldschool gamers and they all appreciate the newer generations of games.

It isn't a fantasy to think that The Beatles continue to influence at least 50% of the modern bands out there today so why should it be different for old videogames?

Shadow Complex isn't a generic shooter. It's a modern iteration of the tried and true Metroidvania style of exploration RPG with the added benefits of a 3rd person shooter game.

Still though, everyone has a right to their opinion. Just realize that you claim to hate closeminded people but you fall into that category yourself, just on the other side of the spectrum.

8. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Kinect integration coming in the new dashboard update soon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON4stPcGPxs&feature=related

9. Capsizing Heart

Capsizing Heart Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    Well I was just speaking from experience, true there probably are old school gamers out there who enjoy modern games, I just ain't met 'um. And we don't say aliens are real, even though we never met one.

And oh man, don't get me started on the Beatles...

But cheers for trying to sell me the game, I'd already forgotten about it. Lol...

10. Kubba

Kubba Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    How is the game Prey? It's out for XBox for only 3 bucks, but I'm thinking of picking it up off the Mac App Store for 10 bucks.
    I'm not sure whether to get Prey or Braid, which are both the same price in the Mac App Store
    Recommendations? Prey seems more my cup of tea, but Braid has rave reviews

11. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    Are you telling me you didn't get Braid in the Humble Indie Bundle #3? :eek:

12. AOR

AOR Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Man, just talking about Braid makes me want to go back and play it again. I can't wait for Jonathan Blow's new game "The Witness" :D

13. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Strangely enough, I just couldn't get into Braid. Loved the art style and all, but never liked the gameplay. Went back and played it over and over again to see if I'd like it, but to no avail.

14. AOR

AOR Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I think for when the time it came out it was a pretty big revelation. A lot of games have imitated and improved upon its formula (The Adventures of Shuggy comes to mind. Also a game I like a lot) so it really is just me remembering how groundbreaking it was the first time I played it. Not the time reversal stuff because Prince of Persia had done it before, but the metaphors in the story and the personal touches that show how much care was put into it. That's what I strive to achieve with our games but I guess we'll see how it goes for us in October when our game comes out.

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I have Braid from Steam, but I don't really play games on my computer so even though it was cheap it was a waste of money. I might pick it up on XBLA if they ever have a fire sale on it.

Anyone picked up Rock of Ages? Impressions? That game looks either fun or repetitive or both, I'm not sure which yet. I've got the demo queued up, along with the Gunstringer demo. Not sure if I'm going to get around to trying either until this weekend, though.

16. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    You didn't get the Humble Indie Bundle? :eek: Coulda gotten 12 games for as little as a penny. I feel bad for you sir. Unless you bought before-hand, like me.

17. AOR

AOR Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I'm gonna get Rock of Ages just to give Atlus some of my support. Even though Rock of Ages seems kind of gimmicky and repetitive, I'll still give them my money. I'm just glad that Atlus is handling the publishing duties on KOFXIII and I can't wait for their next Persona game.

18. Capsizing Heart

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    So was anyone else excited for Dead Island? Yeah I was too, but then they finally started to actually release information on the actual friggin' gameplay and not just keep realising trailers for CGI TV pilots. And now the game looks set to really suck. I doubt it can be as disappointing as Dead Rising 2 though.

19. AOR

AOR Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    What was so disappointing about Dead Rising 2? I feel that Valve iterated and improved a lot on the original DR with it.

20. Capsizing Heart

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    Valve? And because it controlled like rubbish, it was a giant novelty, the setting was nowhere near as good as the mall and the mission structure was outdated ten years ago. The graphics were ugly, the cutscenes sucked, the voice acting was terrible and the story was awful. Do I need to go on?