What phone should I get?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by lord-sam, Feb 23, 2012.

1. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I hate to bring up a thread for a seemingly small question, but I will anyway!!!!!1!!!one!!! :p

Should I buy the iPhone 4s now, or wait til maybe June/September for a new one? My current phone is an old candybar-style-not-quite-smartphone, so it's not like I'd be upgrading from an iPhone 4 or anything! Found a pretty good deal (for UK, anyway) on the 4s... but is it too late in the life cycle to get it?

2. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
  3. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

Next time you see someone texting with an iPhone remove the SIM card and throw your brick phone at their head and when it knocks them out just take their phone, problem solved.

4. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Android varies as much as Windows really, some crash, some don't. With iPhone you get the advantage of it always running well because hardware built for software, software built for hardware etc.

It'll be a while before the next iPhone, and they always roll the software updates out to older devices anyway, so I say get one.

5. VRPgames

VRPgames Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Ireland
    iPhone is the only choice because all the rest are just trying to catch up. They are minimum 5 years behind.

6. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Please explain this.

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I suspect the OP was interested in iPhones and wanted to know if he should buy now or wait for the next one, but YMMV. LOL.

If you're running a dumb phone, I don't think you would go wrong with a 4s now.

I have an iPhone 4 and want to switch to Verizon, probably, or maybe Sprint, so I'm going to wait until the next iPhone and then jump ship from AT&T. AT&T's service has gotten worse in my area. I use to get good coverage on my commute to work and could listen to an internet stream with just one brief dropout, but now there's lots of dropouts, some long, during my commute (I ride the train). Pretty irritating.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The iPhone 4S is a great phone, and will continue to be a great phone for the duration of your contract. As long as not having the latest and greatest phone when the iPhone 5 comes out, who cares. If you're the kind of dude who needs every new gadget, you might as well wait.

9. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    I'm regretting getting a 4S.
    iPhone 4S:
    - More expensive
    - Battery problem NOT solved, your phone will drain like 10% per hour on standby, Apple's not giving a f*** damn about this. Just look at how casually Tim Cook put it, "a small percentage of users found that the battery lasts slightly shorter than our standards". Yes, a brand new iPhone 4S straight out of the box going from 100% battery to 27% in just one night of standby is "slightly shorter", and flooded threads in the Apple forums of users complaining about the battery bug is "a small percentage of users". When did the 4S come out? And what month is it now? It takes them 4 months to pull out a patch to fix a battery bug, and it's still not fixed yet?
    The funny thing is when I went to buy the 4S, the cellphone carrier dumbasses was laughing at me saying I was "falling behind current news" when I mentioned it has the battery bug, they told me it was fixed in November 2011. I'm going to be returning the 4S I just got and then throw a brick at those dumbasses.
    Also I don't know if you care or not, but the 4S's home button is not aligned properly. It's slightly off-center. Lots of people have this problem. If you're lucky you might get one that's aligned properly, lol.
    At this point, iPhone 4 > iPhone 4S, unless you're one of those gadget junkies who thinks anything new is automatically the best thing ever. 4 and 4S runs the latest games at the same speed and quality. And yes you can get Siri on the 4. So you're basically paying an extra $100 for like 10x shorter battery span and a misaligned home button.

10. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #10 GoofyJmaster., Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    Well, I owned an iPhone 3GS and I have a iTouch 4g right now.

At the time, the 3GS was the best phone out on the market IMHO, but the times have changed. And, hell, even back then I had a ton of problems (YouTube issues, safari issues, yes iPhones crash :eek:), but it was better than the rest.

I moved over to Android after I lost my 3GS at college. I'd have to say I like the OS better than iOS, but the phones are way too iffy. There's a ton of lag issues and lots of crashing, but, in all honesty, no more than my iTouch 4g. And I hear that the newer Android phones are just as stable as the 4s, which has its own problems.

The big problem with Android is that it's fragmented to all hell. There's no telling when your device will get a new update if at all. Most likely, you'll have to suffer with the problems for 2 years unless you have a Google phone like the Galaxy Nexus.

TBH, I'm switching over to Windows phone after my contract is up. It seems like most people that have them are extremely satisfied because the operating system is smooth because of of how well optimized it is. These are phones that only have single cores but have a reportedly faster OS. And I've watched a ton of browser tests and Windows phones either tie or are right behind.

I'd suggest watching some Windows phone (Samsung Focus S, HTC HD7, Lumia 800) reviews on Youtube. They literally get drooled over by reviewers. I'm pretty sure the Engadget review said the Focus S had a legendary battery life. Personally, I'm waiting for Windows 8 phones because they're getting...http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/windows-phone-8-what-you-need-to-know-1065086

@N.Chopin I feel your pain about the battery bug. It sucks!

Edit
    Honestly, at this point, I think it comes down to what you want/like.

I'm not condemning the iPhone, but I don't think it's the greatest anymore.

Ultimately, i'm switching to Windows because I don't think I'll have to worry about fragmentation. *fingers crossed* I want a phone that has visual consistency for my most used applications. I want a phone that has tight integration built into the OS. Live tiles look better than iOS icons, and Android Widgets start to feel cluttered after a while. And when I switch iI want to go with a phone that has a reportedly better call quality and zippy OS.

Mango pretty much fixed all the reasons why I skipped Windows phones when they first came out. I've just been waiting for an update like the Apollo one.

Also, if you're not going to pirate music Zune is way better than iTunes. $10 a month for unlimited music. I know for a fact that my family has spends well...WELL...over $120 a year for music.

11. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Actually it's not only the 4S my 4 sufferes the same problems with battery life. By 12:00 PM its usually around 50%' It's new too...

Anyways wait until the 5 it will be way worth it...

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    If your home button is misaligned, take it to an Apple Store and they will exchange it on the spot. That's a defect. Should be no trouble at all. I'm not sure about the battery draining. I think if you have bluetooth on it will drain faster. Otherwise my iPhone 4 seems to have decent, if not great, battery life. It's certainly better than the 3GS's battery life.