iPhone Match and Magic (calling Puzzle Quest fans!)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Misguided, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #1 Misguided, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
    I wasn't sure if posting Kickstarter projects was ok, but I see a thread for The Banner Saga, so I'm going to presume it is.

Unlike many Kickstarter projects, Match & Magic has been in development for several years. The developer is raising some money to fund some additional art assets, but we shouldn't have to wait forever to see it released (though not sure on the timing of the iOS release relative to PC).

This is a Match-3 RPG hybrid, but it does a number of things I've never seen before. Unlike Puzzle Quest, the player does not alternate turns with the AI, which many people will like because it lets you set up combos. Instead, there are cards that represent enemies and quests which have different conditions to defeat them. At least some of these have to be accomplished within a certain number of turns, and it is possible to be working on several at one time. You also control which direction the board fills from at any given moment.

Check out the Kickstarter and see what you think. I'm really hoping this might be the worthy successor to Puzzle Quest that many of us have been waiting for.

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009

The developer made a gameplay demonstration that shows how the cards work. A campaign mode has been mentioned in a couple of places as something he wants to add. It appears the main gameplay is a survival mode, which may interest fans of Dungeon Raid.