Action RPG's (ARPGs)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GKAR, Feb 12, 2012.

1. GKAR

GKAR Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Hello everyone out there in T.A. land. I've been a lurker on this site for several months and have finally broken down to ask for some advice or suggestions.

First off, I love action rpg's with lots of loot. I'm speaking of games like zenonia series, Aurum Blade, Exitium (excellent btw) and Fantastic knight (also excellent). I love these sorts of games which have lots of loot, weapons, armor, gear, etc as well as the grade scale of normal, magic, epic, legendary, etc. Problem is, the ones I've listed above are all I've found, and I'm sure there are some other great arpg's out there,but damned if I can find any decent ones. I've even broken down to playing Chroisen in this latest drought of decent arpgs.

So long story short, can anyone of you kind gentlemen and ladies point me in the right direction as to games of this type that I've overlooked?

btw, I am also interested in side scrolling arpg's, so long as they have lots of upgradeable loot. The only one's I've tried so far have been less than stellar.

So having said all that, can you kind people please give me some suggestions as to decent loot-based arpgs?

thanks,

GKAR

2. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #2 gunxsword, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
    I have no idea how you managed to miss the big thread for Crimsonheart. Fluid and comfortable 360 degree movement (FINALLY), abundant loot - equipment, items, materials, monster cards for enhancement etc. The combat requires you to dodge enemy attacks (less button mashing). Fantastic graphics and animation too.

In short, it's the best action RPG game I know, even better than the ones you've named (yes I've played them all).

Side scrolling:
    Demon Hunter by BiCore. Flexible classes, Castlevania style dungeon, lots of skills, equipment, loot and other stuff to do. Oh of course, there's IAP.
    Still, it's a game that fits your requirements spot on.

3. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Welcome to T.A GKAR.

Exitium and Fantastic Knight are both good, but definitely not the best ones on the platform.

If you are looking for a good action RPG Crimsonheart and Wild Frontier are must-have games. Just check out both threads of those games and you will know what I mean.

Other games that I would suggest checking out:

Mage Gauntlet
    Aurum Blade – the closest Diablo-like dungeon crawler
    Inotia 2: A Wanderer of Luone (also Inotia 3, but it’s not as good as the second one)
    Illusia – side scrolling / platform rpg
    Solomon’s Keep – fantastic dungeon crawler, great replayability
    Solomon’s Boneyard – one, closed location. You + endless waves of enemies – survive as long as you can. Fantastic game for short sessions. Looting, upgrades etc. are there of course.
    Itarus – this is my personal choice (you have been warned:)), most people don’t see anything interesting in this game, but for me it is one of the most enjoyable krpg’s I have played on iOS.
    Zenonia series – first and second Zenonias are the only games worth checking out IMHO, Zenonia 3 and 4 tend to force you to buy iAP’s.

I don't know if Mission Europa would be something you are looking for – a mix of fps, RPG and dungeon crawling, with tons of equipment, looting. One of the best Rpg’s I have played (50+ hours actually) on the platform.

Those are my suggestions, I hope you'll enjoy any of those games as much as I did :)

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    thanks for the tip. Just downloaded this, it's great

5. GKAR

GKAR Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2012
    #5 GKAR, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. Crimson Heart is incredible, once I got the hang of it. Still have to look into Solomon's Keep and Ragnarok Violet. Thanks a bunch!!! :):):)

6. ThatThinginaBag

May 12, 2009
    Thanks for the awesome thread, you guys! I've been trying to find good Action RPGs but often got overwhelmed by how many there were. This narrows it down really nicely!

7. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Hey guys, i usually don't play many rpgs like this, but i do enjoy one every once in awhile. I'm looking for a huge game, lots of equipment, loot, etc. (typical rpg stuff). So, what is the best of the best?

8. GKAR

GKAR Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Exitium. For an IOS game, it is HUGE. Plus there are 4 different characters, each with their own unique story and quests. This one is a win-win. Tons of quests, LONG, 4 different campaigns, Lots of loot, including magic, rare, epic, unique, etc. I can't recommend this one enough.

btw, I just started Ragnarok Violet and let me say that I am highly impressed. The music is better than I've seen on most all ARPG's. No Engrish that I've seen. This game seems very promising, although, it does seem to level up quite quickly, like in Fantastic knight. I hope that it a longer game than it seems.

In sum, I believe the winner of best IOS arpg to be a very close race between Crimson Heart and Exitium. But, that's just like, my opinion, man. :)

Everyone reading this, if you know of a decent ARPG that we haven't mentioned, please add it to this thread to spead the word!

GKAR

9. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    I actually disliked Exitium. The combat is a boring exercise of button mashing (attack button or potion spam) and the quests are fetch quest on top of another fetch quest followed by more fetch quests and succeeded by more fetch quests of other fetch quests. It gets old and monotonous very fast.

Plus, the writing and dialogue sucked because they sound like juvenile conversations.

Oh the loot. Most of them aren't even useful. You don't get the satisfaction of selling loot because they give you so little value, unlike Crimsonheart.

10. A year's gone. Right now, which arpg's are best?

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Most of the ones previously mentioned are a subgenre called KRPGs.

For ARPGs i suggest you try the following:
    Bastion
    ORC Vengeance
    Ravensword 2
    Horn
    Lili
    Heroes & Castles
    Heroes Call
    Master of Dungeon - this one being somewhat similar to Crimsonheart

12. Thanks!

I just realized that there's another topic similar to this, so I suggest mods to archive this one :)