Apple Watch and Gaming

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by CygnetSeven, Sep 10, 2014.

1. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    In a report on CNET, Electronic Arts has already tipped their cards and stated they are working on game prototypes that will be available on the Apple Watch. What is your feelings on Apple's newest gadget and will you be getting one? Are you looking forward to gaming on your watch and will we see a port of that Star Wars LED watch game we had in the 70's?

2. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    the screen itself is too small for any major game to be enjoyable, but if the watch is combined as a gaming support / assist to your phone, then some interesting paths should open up and possibilites are endless

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I love gadgets but with my iphone I simply don't need the watch. Look great and very cool but I just don't need it. If the watch came before the iphone I think it would be huge

4. i don't think Apple Watch can be a gaming screen on its own. It's just too small.

Using it as an extension of the main game wld be nice though. Sth like real-life side quest :D

5. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    I'm already waiting for the first one who wants to play iPad games on this watch. Shouldnt take too long.

6. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Right now this gadget feels to me like Apple's Virtual Boy, I just don't feel this is going to be good for anything worthwhile on the gaming front. Usually companion gadgets feel gimmicky and if this is used just to support some iPhone games or the retro game&watch game then it's not going to win me over. It may sell well and it's quite frankly expected to with the zealotry of quite a few Apple fans with deep pockets who need every Apple device in their lives but I don't see the iWatch as the next iPhone or even IPad at least not for gaming. As far as Apple pushing it as a communications device....maybe.

7. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    I might be proved wrong, but I can't see this watch being particularly significant from a games point of view.

There are some interesting possibilities, like a board game where a single iPad is the board, and each player's watch can be their deck/hand. But I think they'll be totally scuppered by the fact you'll never get the numbers of people with the right hardware together. Even a single player game is going to have a tiny audience compared to simply targeting the iPhone/iPad.

Ultimately, I think the only thing that'll sell it to anyone is being able to talk into your watch and pretending you're an FBI agent.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    For more 'simple' games the watch will be fine. Again i come from a generation where back in the 80s you had Pacman watches, number invaders, basic shoot em ups etc.

There will be a host of small basic games which will work well on it. But again with an iphone you've got access to 100000's of great games. I just think the watch is 'too late'. Like i say if the watch came first it would have been huge, then the phone after.

But with a phone in my pocket theres just no need for an apple watch. Just a cool gadget but i cant believe it'll be a huge huge hit like the iphone etc

9. ibarakuro

ibarakuro Member

Sep 22, 2011
  10. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    This made me laugh (from xkcd):

[​IMG]

11. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013