Premium vs Freemium

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by skeblik, Mar 15, 2013.

1. skeblik

skeblik Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Hi guys. I have read a lot if discussions in the TA forums lately, and even participated in a few, where people have been hotly debating premium vs freemium. There is no one answer to this conflict, as everyone has different opinions. The threads where these discussions have been going on have been going grossly off topic because of this. This is the thread where you can discuss this question to your hearts content.

2. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    What's the deal with airplane food?

3. skeblik

Jul 3, 2012
    What?..... I don't get that. Either I don't have a sense if humor, or you are referring to something I don't get. :)

4. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Exactly.

5. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Premium for proper games but I don't mind casual freemiums

6. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Keep threads on topic

You're lucky i'm not a mod! :D

But yes, agree with Danny. I don't mind freemiums, as long as the IAP's aren't intrusive.

7. skeblik

Jul 3, 2012
    In my opinion the Simpson Tapped Out is a perfect example of the perfect freemium game. A ton of content really often updates, and completely uninstrusive IAP.

8. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I don't really care. I love a good freemium game (dragonvale, for example) but I don't mind shelling out a few bucks for a good premium.

9. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Do freemium whales even hang out at Toucharcade? I imagine that they would be permanently glued to their Farmville plots...

Seriously though, most of the people I have come across in real life who are into freemium tend to be the Facebook games type.

10. I like the freemium Whale Tail.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I dunno, I played it for a while but only because it was The Simpsons. If it had been anything else I'd have thrown it aside in disgust. It's freemium to the point that it's not even a game, it's just an exercise in waiting for countdown timers to tick down. You can play that with a stopwatch. The only objective to the whole thing is to collect items, which is impossible to do 100% without spending quite a bit of cash.

If you just want what basically amounts to a Simpsons screensaver on your device then it kinda works, if you want a game, not so much.

12. skeblik

Jul 3, 2012
    I personally stopped playing Facebook freemium games a long time ago. There is just so much more variety and better experiences here on iOS. Now, correction: I am not a "freemium whale." I can enjoy freemium games, and they are the future, no doubt, but I can also pay money for. A good premium game.

13. skeblik

Jul 3, 2012
    Point disputed. The storyline is fantastic and funny, and its always a reward to come back when a timer is finished and reap your rewards, whether they be a continuation of a quest or just money and XP.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Fair enough. If you can find enjoyment from that then more power to you. I find the writing to be fairly weak, it doesn't serve much purpose other than to act as a link to introduce new buildings and characters into the game. The majority of the "quests" are repeat work and besides... you're not really questing. You just press a button and wait, ad infinitum.

15. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Why thank you, Mr. I don'tknowyoufromaholeinthewall, for giving everyone a place to discuss this matter. I've been fruitlessly searcing up and down these vast series of tubes that make up this vast network connection for just this topic. I tried finding alt.comp.ios.freemium to no avail.

16. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Airplane food and whale tail.

17. skeblik

Jul 3, 2012
    Well I'm glad someone's happy.

18. skeblik

Jul 3, 2012
    True. For me it is entertaining. Not to say that I don't play game like MC4, RR2 and 3, 9mm, O&C online, and so on.

19. Freemium whales?

You don't get it? ;)

20. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    There are other threads in general that cover this quite well, might want to have a read of those too.