Head Spin - Deceptively simple logic puzzler

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Runloop, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Runloop

Runloop Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    #1 Runloop, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
    Hi all,

I'd like to let you all know about our new game Head Spin that has just been submitted to the App Store.

Head Spin is a logic puzzle game in which your objective is to spin the heads until they face you before running out of moves.

[​IMG]

The game comes with 3 different game modes:

Challenge:
    Try to complete 70 hand crafted puzzles that gradually build in complexity in the fastest time possible.

Quick Play:
    Solve as many puzzles as you can in 90 seconds. Extra points are awarded for solving the puzzles in less attempts. Quick Play comes with 4 difficultly settings.

Time Trial:
    Solve randomly generated puzzles as quickly as you can. Time Trial comes with 4 difficultly settings.

Share you best scores with the world via Twitter or Facebook with the Agon social gaming platform.

YouTube game play video:

Or watch the better quality and correct aspect ratio video at Vimeo:
    http://vimeo.com/7577497

We're releasing a lite version of Head Spin that will have one difficulty setting of Quick Play and Time Trial as well as the first 20 levels of the Challenge.

http://www.runloop.com/headspin

Follow @runloop on Twitter for future updates. We already have many new exciting features we're working on for our first update.

2. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    I've just been informed that the games have gone into review. What's the typical wait from this point these days. I can hardly contain my excitement.

3. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Looks like a simple but fun puzzle game. :)

Just out of interest does it save your progress when you exit the game, so you can resume right where you left off?

4. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    Hi, it's definitely fun if you like mind bending puzzles.

The game saves your progress through the challenge. Though only up to what level you are on. It won't save what spins you have done. If it did I think it would confuse you more than help you. The challenge is scored on how quickly you can complete the 70 levels. That's play time, and not overall time. It took me 1h 50mins in total to finish them all.

The other modes don't save your progress as they are designed to be quick. The quick play mode you have to solve as many puzzles as you can in 90 seconds. And the each time trial is potentially only a few seconds long depending on the difficulty.

Unfortunately, the lite version was rejected yesterday for having an "up-sale" screen. I took that out and resubmitted it but I might hold both back now until the lite is accepted.

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    all I have to say is nice job!

And I don't say that often.

Good luck with sales.

6. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Thanks for clearing that up, seems like you made the right decision on the progress saving. It also looks like there's quite a lot of gameplay, I mean, 1 hour 50 minutes for the developer to complete the game seems pretty long, so any player is bound to take longer, which is definitely a good thing!

I take it that when you say the challenge scoring is done on play time it means it's more of an arcade game, without a level select screen?

Anyway I'm looking forward to trying this game out once it's released! :)

Oh and by the way, there isn't too big a need to hold back the full version until the lite version is released, since that may deter first day impulse buys. Also, any word on the pricing?

7. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    Thanks. From what I can tell I'll need luck with the sales seeing as I have no marketing experience/budget.

I'll throw a few promo codes up in here once it's out.

8. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Since I work primarily with business associates who do the marketing, let me give you one tip: press release.

If you need help with anything, send me a PM.

9. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    That's what I'm thinking about the gameplay length. Some of those puzzles get very tricky. Some of my beta testers were starting to struggle in the mid teens. For me those levels are a synch. I can get from 1-20 in about 2 minutes.

I guess you could say that about the challenge. The time starts and stops when you play and pause the game. When you pause all the heads reset to the win position so there's no cheating going on.

Fair enough, I'll probably just release as soon as it's done. I'm itching to get it on the store anyway.

Pricing is tier 1. So 59p/$0.99. I've said in the description that it's a 50% off introductory sale. But I doubt I'll ever increase it.

10. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    Cool, thanks for the advice. I might take you up on that. I'll certainly look into writing up a press release.

11. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    While I'm here I'll let you know what I have install for the first update to see what you guys think.

Firstly I'm thinking of adding a daily puzzle. The daily puzzle will probably be quite hard. The grid will be randomised and you'll have to get it back to the win state in as little moves as possible. I may even release a version that is just the daily puzzle.

I was also thinking of adding Store Kit to it and selling additional puzzle packs of say 100 puzzles with n moves. So that once you've completed the initial challenge you can get more and harder puzzles to complete.

12. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Some type of DLC sounds pretty good, especially more levels to play if people want them.

Other things you could include are unlockables and achievements. Perhaps different heads and backgrounds could be unlockables? Or you could even sell packs of them as DLC, although I think that would be taking it a little too far ;)

13. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    Yeah, I meant to add achievements to this version but didn't have time before the date I'd set aside for submission. I'll definitely add that into the next update. More heads is another good idea. I'll have to get drawing again.

14. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Maybe I missed it, but do you have a site for your game RunLoop?

15. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    At the time of posting I probably didn't but I do now. It's:
    http://www.runloop.com/headspin

I'll update the first post.

16. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    Head Spin has gone gold! Only took 7 days. Apple must have hired some more staff.

As promised, promo codes. Enjoy.

XFHR77RNKX97
    HJW3EFM4K4WR
    MWX9HJMTAX4F
    N4PXYNJPFMX3
    997EMKPRNJL7

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Used N4PXYNJPFMX3

Thanks! :)